Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repair/Parts wait times in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All - thought I would post an update/cry for help..

It’s now 5 months since my car was authorised for repair. I actually ended up calling Tesla and pushing for them to investigate the delays and why there had been no update given to the body shop. This is where it gets weird.

Tesla did investigate and came back to me saying it was in fact, the body shops fault for never finalising the order, therefore the parts were never dispatched. Obviously this was an absolutely huge issue if true, and I had been waiting 4 months for no reason. So I got my insurance involved to let them know of what I thought was a clear performance issue with the body shop.

The body shop came back to me and explained that since all my parts were on back order, they were never actually ABLE to “finalise” the order with Tesla, due to Teslas own limitations on stock ordering (I.e you can’t actually order a back ordered item. They also have a direct contact with Tesla they speak to weekly about parts, so it was not like Tesla didn’t know these parts were needed, this would have been clearly communicated to Tesla. This story was also corroborated by insurance, and I strongly believe the body shop as they are extremely reputable in WA, and clearly have been experiencing the same frustration as me during this time.

My issue now is that Tesla have effectively lied to me about who is is the wrong here, claiming that they had absolutely no knowledge of the order when they clearly did. Since this (about a month ago), Tesla sent me a list of about 20 parts required for my order. One of the parts had an estimated shipping date, every single other one was empty, with absolutely no update since.

I’m absolutely furious at this point - to a reasonable extent I can acknowledge issues with parts delays, but it has been 5 months and I am still completely in the dark. Tesla has taken no responsibility for what seems to clearly be a parts problem on their end.

If I had known that repairs and parts would not be reasonably available for this car, I would NEVER have bought it. If this goes on for much longer I’m strongly considering lodging an ACCC complaint on this basis.

Apologies for the rant, It’s very frustrating and saddening not being able to enjoy a brand new car I worked so hard for. I feel like I’ve hit a wall in terms of what I can do at this point, but any advice is appreciated.

Hi all, by way of update on the original post, I finally got the call after 6 months waiting!! Car was able to go into the shop the next day and is being repaired now.

It is bittersweet as in the last month I’ve decided to sell my M3. It’s been a combination of things - the first being that this experience has really dampened my confidence driving a reasonably pricey and effectively unrepairable car everyday. I’m a careful driver but you can’t control what others do on the road, and although things will hopefully improve in the supply chain over the next 6-12 months, I am really uncomfortable with the idea that another bingle could be another 6+ months waiting (I do have hire car on my insurance but it is more so the principle of having access to reasonable repairs that is important to me). Acknowledge that Tesla is not the only one facing these issues, however it is clear that the extent of the wait times and the poor customer support is uniquely Tesla.

The other reasons being that I’ve found myself in the lucky position of not really needing a car for the foreseeable future, and that demand and prices are great right now for sellers which leaves me in a ideal position. This all aligned and I decided it’s for the best for now - I’ll miss my Tesla and hope to buy again one day, however for now it is honestly a relief to let it go.

Hi all, by way of update on the original post, I finally got the call after 6 months waiting!! Car was able to go into the shop the next day and is being repaired now.

It is bittersweet as in the last month I’ve decided to sell my M3. It’s been a combination of things - the first being that this experience has really dampened my confidence driving a reasonably pricey and effectively unrepairable car everyday. I’m a careful driver but you can’t control what others do on the road, and although things will hopefully improve in the supply chain over the next 6-12 months, I am really uncomfortable with the idea that another bingle could be another 6+ months waiting (I do have hire car on my insurance but it is more so the principle of having access to reasonable repairs that is important to me). Acknowledge that Tesla is not the only one facing these issues, however it is clear that the extent of the wait times and the poor customer support is uniquely Tesla.

The other reasons being that I’ve found myself in the lucky position of not really needing a car for the foreseeable future, and that demand and prices are great right now for sellers which leaves me in a ideal position. This all aligned and I decided it’s for the best for now - I’ll miss my Tesla and hope to buy again one day, however for now it is honestly a relief to let it go.
that is sad to hear

Reactions: Tension
spouse drove my two week old model 3 into a wall last Saturday
she said she pushed the accelerator instead of the brake
damage to front, mainly frunk lid and apron, headlights and surrounds, possibly the brackets extending from the frame that hold a few things

car damage.jpg

inside front.jpg

I dropped in at the panel beater yesterday - he just rolled his eyes when I asked about supply of parts, pointed at various cars that have been waiting for months - not just Teslas

damage to front, mainly frunk lid and apron, headlights and surrounds, possibly the brackets extending from the frame that hold a few things

View attachment 793462

View attachment 793460

I dropped in at the panel beater yesterday - he just rolled his eyes when I asked about supply of parts, pointed at various cars that have been waiting for months - not just Teslas
Yep a family friend Mercedes got window smashed by vandals in Canberra somewhere. Car now off the road for estimated 6 months awaiting parts. And this is from 100 year old established legacy auto........

Stone chipped and cracked the windscreen on our 2 month old RWD yesterday just before Childers driving back from Airlie Beach to the Gold coast. Wife and I both shouted NOOOOOO in unison. ETA 4 weeks for a windscreen - I'm told there are a fair few waiting ahead of me for windscreens. Is the tesla windscreen glass weaker than average? Looked like a small stone at fairly low speed and it cracked it. :confused:

C'mon, the Tesla 'accelerated itself' / Autopilot was on / the car was hacked ...

Think of the news reports and views, it will go VIRAL! ;)

Just kidding .. ouch! I turned off the obstacle aware acceleration because it was annoying me at intersections. May have to turn it back on..

My M3 been in repair shop since mid Dec 2021, waiting for glass and bonnet, no new or ETA. No response from [email protected].
Repairer scientific body works also got no reply from Tesla. Really bad after sales services. Tesla just told me to email pacific...

With these long idle periods at repairers is anybody ensuring that the battery is not slowly running itself down to 0%?
It would be a shame to have the parts arrive and the car be immobile or unopenable.

With these long idle periods at repairers is anybody ensuring that the battery is not slowly running itself down to 0%?
It would be a shame to have the parts arrive and the car be immobile or unopenable.
I know the Tesla-approved body shop near me puts cars on to charge while they're waiting at the workshop. It might well be part of the training Tesla do for authorised repairers?