Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE

haha, its not related to this project at all. You've been bamboozled! Thanks to all my hard work I now have 5 additional followers on instagram!!

Anyway, my fascination with Teslas as time goes on has been getting stronger and stronger, and I've noticed a trend on fire salvaged teslas that they usually seem to catch fire in the front (when there hasn't even been an accident) just sitting there sometimes.

I stumbled across this article from a few years ago

Tesla Model S Catches Fire In Toronto Garage - EV Was Not Plugged In - Inside EVs

and after a few months of research....

"
"

I admire your focus on this project. Are you going to update the vehicle to have all the camera's for auto pilot? Are you going to update the nose also? Crossing fingers your almost done.

welp

the wife didn't mention anything about me not being able to post the things I've already done to the car, right?

here is an old timelapse of me trying to lift the battery into the car itself... this is one of the trickier things I've had to do by myself. lying on your back for an hour trying to jack up and align a 1300lb battery pack into the car is for the birds (especially with no lift). I used multiple jackstands and cleverly placed pieces of wood to support the pack and after what seemed like forever I finally got it!

welp

the wife didn't mention anything about me not being able to post the things I've already done to the car, right?

here is an old timelapse of me trying to lift the battery into the car itself... this is one of the trickier things I've had to do by myself. lying on your back for an hour trying to jack up and align a 1300lb battery pack into the car is for the birds (especially with no lift). I used multiple jackstands and cleverly placed pieces of wood to support the pack and after what seemed like forever I finally got it!

Naughty. Naughty. Don't anger the wife, you might just come home to the Key Fob in a bowl filled with water and not any ordinary water, your favorite: salt water. :D

There is a reason I've gone offline for a bit...

Got myself into some HOT WATER with the wife (I suppose it was only a matter of time). She wasn't exactly smiling at my latest acquisition, admittedly purchasing 3 cars that don't run or drive in a year's time may have been a bit excessive..... Apparently she thinks I have WAAAYYYYYYYYY too many cars in various stages of completion. So my authorization to work on the Tesla has been revoked until I sell one car.
This is the "please insert coin to continue" stage of this project.

Would this Service / Repair manual help to kick start your progress on the project? :cool:

Tesla S model Service Repair Workshop Manual + Wiring diagram 2012-2016 diagnos

upload_2017-1-21_23-29-38.png

I should have named this thread, "How to spend all of your spare time and money for something that may end up being a lost cause"

About me

I'm a bit of a tinkerer, and while my toy car is put away for the winter, I decided to take on another project in the meantime. I wasnt going to tell anyone
about this project (so if I fail I can pretend the whole thing never happened) but telling people keeps me motivated, maybe I can be known as "The guy that tried, but just couldn't do it"

My background

Sys Engineer/Admin

Experience with electric vehicles

Zero

Stress tolerance

High

Why

To challenge myself and entertain the community, after all, whats the worst thing that can happen to a car that is about 90% electronic based? Thats right, excessive water.

Things to keep in mind

If more than a week goes by without me updaing this thread, please assume that I have died.

I may not finish this and pass it off to someone else that has has more money and time than I do. So if you are interested in taking over... stay tuned

This will be the first time I have touched or even sat in a Model S
What's up with your creepy avatar? I thought that was you, until I watched one of your videos. Is that someone famous? Who is that?

UPDATE

Sooooo. lets get a temperature for where the car sits right now.

You remember these pics?

QVp1vHB.jpg

A01mEBV.jpg

kfEBkTX.jpg

Well here is what she looks like now

eTgafIz.jpg

If you look carefully you'll notice that I wrapped the silver trim piece below the dash in carbon fiber. I also got rid of the wood and went to piano black, lastly I also covered my steering wheel in polka dot pattern.

Those headlights look amazing!! Are you going to change the front bumper to the facelift version? it's so much better...!

I'd like to. But I'm waiting on a few others to try it and fail before I spend the money on it. Plus I'm getting the itch to drive the car (who knew?) and I'd hate to have more downtime with something that hasn't been proven.

For the meantime I'll just blackout the front end and call it a day