Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question for people that have removed their air suspension.

Are you supposed to be able to push down on the air suspension and compress it by hand?

I have a few rear shocks and some I can compress by hand when outside of the car and some I can't (they are rock hard) Same goes with the front . Some I can push down on and compress slowly and others I can't.

Are the ones compressible by hand defective?

A bit of good news from Tesla ... Tesla is working on opening up its service tools and helping owners repair their own cars with replacement parts

The “Right to Repair”, which primarily aims to force electronic manufacturers to sell replacement parts and make their diagnostic and service manuals available to independent repair shops and consumers, is gaining some traction. It is currently only in place in Massachusetts, which is why it’s the only state where Tesla owners can register to access repair manuals, service documents, wiring diagrams, and part information, but Tesla President Jon McNeill now says that the automaker is working on opening the program.

I’m glad to see Jon McNeill and Tesla stepped up and did the right thing here. Now if we can only get them to allow us to perform our own maintenance, which involves releasing service info and software as well as sell us parts. Also, If you purchase a salvage vehicle they will not sell you parts at all. This will have to change if Tesla hopes to become mass-market.

Interestingly, McNeill responded that he reached out privately to the owner and that such a program is “in the works”. That will be a welcomed change for the more mechanically inclined Tesla owners. Currently, it’s not cheap to access the information needed to perform repairs from Tesla and again, it’s still only available in Massachusetts unless you get certified as a ‘Tesla Approved Body Shop’:

screen-shot-2017-01-30-at-4-55-52-pm.png

A bit of good news from Tesla ... Tesla is working on opening up its service tools and helping owners repair their own cars with replacement parts

The “Right to Repair”, which primarily aims to force electronic manufacturers to sell replacement parts and make their diagnostic and service manuals available to independent repair shops and consumers, is gaining some traction. It is currently only in place in Massachusetts, which is why it’s the only state where Tesla owners can register to access repair manuals, service documents, wiring diagrams, and part information, but Tesla President Jon McNeill now says that the automaker is working on opening the program.

I’m glad to see Jon McNeill and Tesla stepped up and did the right thing here. Now if we can only get them to allow us to perform our own maintenance, which involves releasing service info and software as well as sell us parts. Also, If you purchase a salvage vehicle they will not sell you parts at all. This will have to change if Tesla hopes to become mass-market.

Interestingly, McNeill responded that he reached out privately to the owner and that such a program is “in the works”. That will be a welcomed change for the more mechanically inclined Tesla owners. Currently, it’s not cheap to access the information needed to perform repairs from Tesla and again, it’s still only available in Massachusetts unless you get certified as a ‘Tesla Approved Body Shop’:

screen-shot-2017-01-30-at-4-55-52-pm.png

yes, I will hold my breath on this for sure!

I've had access to the repair manual for over a year now and its a nice wiring diagram and disassembly guide for the car, however even WITH the right to repair in Massachusetts Tesla can still refuse to sell you parts, even if they are unrestricted parts. You go to the Tesla store, they ask for the vin, if its a salvage vin they dont have to sell you ANYTHING. I even asked for a front air shock and they denied me... Tesla threw together a parts manual and disassembly guide to pacify Mass residents and they were basically like "here ya go, our commitment has been fulfilled, see we gave you a service manual! we are off the hook now right?"

Quite some time ago Tesla also came out and said "hey we opened up our diagnostic toolbox yay!!" I went and downloaded it almost immediately and it turns out they opened up their toolbox to certified tesla bodyshops only.

I'm dying to see exactly whats in the works here, but after over a year of broken promises I'm not feeling very optimistic

Keep in mind that the moment of inertia (which drives the stiffness) of a round section is dependent on the radius to the 4th power. Therefore the + swaybar has a stiffness roughly 20% higher than the normal one, which is certainly noticeable.

I'll take your word for it.

I'm coming from a high performance sports car world where some swaybars are 5mm+ larger than stock. I suppose Tesla didn't want things to be too stiff in their application

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: dhanson865 and GSP
Question for people that have removed their air suspension.

Are you supposed to be able to push down on the air suspension and compress it by hand?

I have a few rear shocks and some I can compress by hand when outside of the car and some I can't (they are rock hard) Same goes with the front . Some I can push down on and compress slowly and others I can't.

Are the ones compressible by hand defective?
In the old days there were two classes of shocks. One were hydrologic and simply dampened movement. You could push in and out by hand but it should be difficult. If you could easily push in and out the shock is bad. Then there were gas shocks that were under pressure that gave both lift and dampening. Those were hard if not impossible to move by hand. Both types had pluses and minuses so I can't say one type is bad.

Btr_ftw I blame you.
there I saw living my life, not obsessed with anything (ok maybe a lie but still)
then I came across this project earlier in the prior week.. and the thread..youtube, so on. and 2 days I am caught up.
Now I have to wait and watch along with the rest of these people, refreshing the page every now and then for some tiny update, some tiny piece of news you decide to give to us.. its walking dead comic all over again (started reading at release of issue 91 so had plenty to read first)

so I blame you :)

ok serious now, love what you doing its been great to see it taking shape, do wish you did more camera work, voice over, discussions. walkthroughs.
would be glad to help you with that and i am sure i am not only one here who would enjoy watching it.

Btr_ftw I blame you.
there I saw living my life, not obsessed with anything (ok maybe a lie but still)
then I came across this project earlier in the prior week.. and the thread..youtube, so on. and 2 days I am caught up.
Now I have to wait and watch along with the rest of these people, refreshing the page every now and then for some tiny update, some tiny piece of news you decide to give to us.. its walking dead comic all over again (started reading at release of issue 91 so had plenty to read first)

so I blame you :)

ok serious now, love what you doing its been great to see it taking shape, do wish you did more camera work, voice over, discussions. walkthroughs.
would be glad to help you with that and i am sure i am not only one here who would enjoy watching it.

I'd love to.

I have a lot of footage of me putting together the car and I'd like someone to help me stitch all of the videos together along with my voiceover.

I'd also really like a dedicated website to the whole project. Almost blog style where I would update as I go along. The problem here is that I can't update the first post so people don't have to read 20 pages just to get to the good stuff.