Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People seem to crowd fund everything these days, so funding an EV garage seems more reasonable than many. (No, I did not contribute). He did quit his regular job so yes he's doing this for profit, I don't see anything wrong with that either. I don't expect anyone to give away their services for free. If he can make a living at repairing Tesla's more power to him, that helps all of us, and maybe encourages others to do the same.

I've no problem with him making money, don't get me wrong. If you can make a worthwhile business, then more power to you. If you do, that means you're contributing something that other people want or need, and are being paid to do so... which is perfectly fine by me.

My issue isn't just with Rich's channel, just seems like almost every single Youtuber that crosses any kind of view/subscriber threshold ends up going the clickbait route. I had hopes that this wasn't the case with this channel, but definitely was wrong.

Crowdfunding is a whole other can of worms... it has its place, and I've even considered it for a few projects of community benefit... but the vast majority of the crowdfunding space is full of just outright scams, so I almost feel like you taint your product/market/etc by doing so at this point if you're not 110% above board with everything. Crowdfunding a for-profit venture based on somewhat false claims ("first" this, "best" that, etc) just kills it even more, which is where this particular campaign caught me off guard.

Reactions: Don TLR and MP3Mike
It's human nature to devolve this way.

Look at Korn's music when they started (great), and then when they made it big. (terrible) Same with Trent Reznor. (NiN) The Pixies. It's the nature of one-hit wonders.

It's very hard to stay true to yourself when you cross certain threshholds. I've seen it many times in my 273 years on this Earth. In fact most things repeat over and over. If you come to see that in a larger context, difficulties are easier to endure.

Shouldn't have quit his job. He is just not good enough. (Cue the Disagrees) And when he makes Phil mad (as always inevitably happens), he'll be up sh*t creek.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike and wk057
I've no problem with him making money, don't get me wrong. If you can make a worthwhile business, then more power to you. If you do, that means you're contributing something that other people want or need, and are being paid to do so... which is perfectly fine by me.

My issue isn't just with Rich's channel, just seems like almost every single Youtuber that crosses any kind of view/subscriber threshold ends up going the clickbait route. I had hopes that this wasn't the case with this channel, but definitely was wrong.

Crowdfunding is a whole other can of worms... it has its place, and I've even considered it for a few projects of community benefit... but the vast majority of the crowdfunding space is full of just outright scams, so I almost feel like you taint your product/market/etc by doing so at this point if you're not 110% above board with everything. Crowdfunding a for-profit venture based on somewhat false claims ("first" this, "best" that, etc) just kills it even more, which is where this particular campaign caught me off guard.

There are a few YouTube channels out there that don't seem to go the click bait route, but most fall into that pattern as they grow. When you're making the occasional YouTube video and it's bringing in "beer money" it's a hobby that happens to bring in a little extra income. Then it grows to become a full time job and their livelihood depends on it and they start doing stunts to draw people in.

I tend to get tired of YouTube pretty quickly. The fluff to serious information ratio is far too high.

Another annoying thing is the trend to make "how to" videos of everything instead of just telling people. For example when the 12V battery started going on my S, I searched around for a how to on how to get the frunk apart to get to the battery and did a sigh of frustration when it became apparent the only how tos out there were videos, and 90% of them were pre-refresh cars which are very different. I finally found one video on how to take part a refresh S, and the only link to the YouTube video I could find was from a post on this forum. YouTube's search engine couldn't find it!

IMO the best how tos are a series of photographs with annotations and explanations. It makes it far, far quicker to scan the page and see if the information is relevant and refer back to exactly what you need at each step. There are some things where old fashioned methods are better than the new thang.

Not really a Tesla battery pack, since that includes a fully functioning battery management system and pack enclosure. Those were salvaged Tesla modules without proper protection.

I'll give you that!

Anyway, when I saw the title of a Rich Rebuilds video about a Tesla battery fire, my first thought was that Rich did something to cause it! But I watch his videos, so I know he does a lot of things haphazardly.

Clickbait? I haven't noticed it. With the fire video, the title promised a Tesla battery fire, and sure enough, a Tesla battery pack caught on fire. It was as advertised.

If someone assumed that the title meant that the fire was Tesla's fault, that's on them.
People hating on that video is hilarious. You want to go from early adopter to mainstream? Yeah a bunch guys being guys and blowing your crap up is an initiation rite. Do you want car guys to like Tesla or what?

Another annoying thing is the trend to make "how to" videos of everything instead of just telling people. For example when the 12V battery started going on my S, I searched around for a how to on how to get the frunk apart to get to the battery and did a sigh of frustration when it became apparent the only how tos out there were videos, and 90% of them were pre-refresh cars which are very different. I finally found one video on how to take part a refresh S, and the only link to the YouTube video I could find was from a post on this forum. YouTube's search engine couldn't find it!

IMO the best how tos are a series of photographs with annotations and explanations. It makes it far, far quicker to scan the page and see if the information is relevant and refer back to exactly what you need at each step. There are some things where old fashioned methods are better than the new thang.

^ This. So. Much. This. 1000x this.

There are some how-to things that can benefit from a video visual... but the majority of the time when I need one that ends up only being a video, I have to basically just take notes and work from there... which is pretty annoying.

I actually support a few Youtube channels on Patreon and directly (anonymously) sponsor a couple of others that are informative, unique, or otherwise have a place that seems to make sense and that people benefit from. OT a bit, but one of my favorites is this guy: Technology Connections ... nothing extraordinarily spectacular there, but it's a cool channel and he makes videos about essentially obsolete tech, and some newer stuff, in detail in a quirky fashion that's entertaining and informative. Then there's Thunderf00t and the Retro Game Mechanics guy, both of which hit some niches that I like.

I never felt like Rich's videos ever really fit into a category where Patreon would make sense... (he doesn't use it correctly anyway since his feed is completely patron-only, yet the bulk of that content is on Youtube publicly... might get someone to pay that $2, but I digress). But, this is a community where, let's be honest, people tend to have some spare cash for nonsense and he's well aware.

Shouldn't have quit his job. He is just not good enough.

I used to subscribe and watch Rich's videos, read the posts here, etc... but it's just not something I can really support going forward as it's just diverged too much from the original premise into not-really-useful-anymore territory. So, unfortunately, I have to agree... this doesn't seem like something doable long term for him. Could be wrong, but who knows.

• Informative
Reactions: KJD and FlatSix911
Loving the humour of Rich combined with the focus on EV. I watch to be entertained.

If I want informational only videos of Tesla there are lots of choices. Bjorn Nyland is very funny too, but in a different way.

I’ve watched the few videos of wk057 and found value there too.

Jack Richard is too hard to watch, but at 2x there is some content that I found palatable.

None of these is like the other.
Good!