Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will HAPPILY bring you the cut up pack so you can go to town on it. Trying to find a place to take it for scrap, seeing as scrap prices are down, nobody is answering their phone.
I sent you a PM about coordinating if you want help. I forgot to add that my town dump has a metal recycling bin, so that's one way to get rid of it, if you can't get a scrap dealer to buy it.

I sent you a PM about coordinating if you want help. I forgot to add that my town dump has a metal recycling bin, so that's one way to get rid of it, if you can't get a scrap dealer to buy it.

Is it wrong of me to wonder how well this'll burn? And, children, don't search the intarweb using The Google for how to create thermite... Just sayin'... Just don't...

UPDATE

Here is the back of the LCD for the MCU

2HMn8Oh.jpg

hkhE3WX.jpg

According to the blog post, there are actually three parts. Only the middle one is titanium.

Yup. The front rounded extruded aluminum "crusher bar" is further forward, also under the plastic cowling:

tesla-model-s_100463206_l.jpg

It's at a point lower than the battery/plates and what's responsible for clobbering the alternators and pavers that the blog videos showed getting broken up...

UPDATE

Sorry about the blurry pics (just kidding, I don't care)

Here are some detail photos of the MCU (brain itself) Worst case scenario if Tesla decides to cancel my 3G and P100D order..... why not just pop a sim card from a pre paid phone in the sim slot (which is not soldered into the board fyi)

9MibT2I.jpg

agdtCIl.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

nCFXLfD.jpg

q0qP2mU.jpg

GGuSeGO.jpg

6qNsoGP.jpg

n9ztC45.jpg

Q6l6fLd.jpg

XSSfttU.jpg

Titanium?

Nope.

From Tesla's Blog:

Elon Musk said:
The first of the three shields is a rounded, hollow aluminum bar that is designed to either deflect objects entirely or, in the case of a self-stabilizing, ultra high strength object, like a three ball steel tow hitch, absorb the impact and force it to pike upwards well forward of the battery pack. This pierces the plastic aeroshield and front trunk liner, but causes no damage affecting safety and the car remains in control and driveable before, during and after the impact.

This is followed by a titanium plate, which has exceptional strength-to-weight properties and is more commonly seen in aerospace or military applications. The titanium plate prevents sensitive front underbody components from being damaged and aids in neutralizing the road debris.

By this point, the vast majority of objects will have been deflected or crushed. For the rare piece of debris that remains intact, we added a third shield, which is a shallow angle, solid aluminum extrusion that further absorbs impact energy, provides another layer of deflection and finally causes the Model S to ramp up and over the object if it is essentially incompressible and immovable.