Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think at the point of seeing that I'd probably concede that the car is toast and figure out a plan b. That picture is scary and if something as electrically simple as the seat mechanism is toast (and rusted no less) just imagine the condition of the rest of the car. That is some serious corrosion on the seat.

I think at the point of seeing that I'd probably concede that the car is toast and figure out a plan b. That picture is scary and if something as electrically simple as the seat mechanism is toast (and rusted no less) just imagine the condition of the rest of the car. That is some serious corrosion on the seat.

At least he got a pencil out of it!

I hate to agree.... but I don't think I have a choice. I'd give up about now.

now that wouldn't make for a very interesting thread now would it?

At least he got a pencil out of it!

And a half container of this

vJXFqVk.jpg

I will save it for when I get in touch with the original owner.

Holy Car-rustiness!!!!! Are you sure that's a pic of a Model S? It looks more like the '85 BJ70 Land Cruiser I've been busting my knuckles and ego on over the last four weeks!*

But I got it going and running perfectly today! Yay!!! Anyone want to buy a really rare Land Cruiser?

Holy Car-rustiness!!!!! Are you sure that's a pic of a Model S? It looks more like the '85 BJ70 Land Cruiser I've been busting my knuckles and ego on over the last four weeks!

now picture your 85 land Cruiser with 500 times the technology

- - - Updated - - -

this is me taking a crowbar to the seats trying to pry them free of all the rust

sgUV4jd.jpg

Eh.
I'm just going to use my angle grinder to cut the tracks off (I'll need new seats anyway)

now that wouldn't make for a very interesting thread now would it?

I suppose not. :) You're a braver man than me. I bought a fully functioning, perfect looking, running, driving salvage car for $20,000, fixed a few small details left on it and then couldn't muster up the courage to own it out of warranty. I thought I was brave taking that "risk". You're either incredibly brave or incredibly stupid. Let's go with brave! :D

We prepped a car for full immersion in Long Beach harbour. My employee decided he wanted to buy the car after the shoot. He removed all of the electronic modules, sealed up the engine trans and other items 100%. We immersed the car several time in the water and when the shoot was over the employee rushed the car back to the shop and pressure washed the car for hours. He hooked everything back up and the car was fully functional. Bought it for a song from production and drove it for about 6 mo. Things started going wrong rather quickly. The main cause of damage was the salt water had wicked into every wire of the car. The wires rotted from inside out. Here is a clip of the spot. Reel EFX, Inc - ReelEFX.com

I suppose not. :) You're a braver man than me. I bought a fully functioning, perfect looking, running, driving salvage car for $20,000, fixed a few small details left on it and then couldn't muster up the courage to own it out of warranty. I thought I was brave taking that "risk". You're either incredibly brave or incredibly stupid. Let's go with brave! :D

Ive been watching model S auctions like a hawk and you got yourself the deal of the century. You live in LA and there is a high concentration of MS there. Salvaged and not repaired MSs hover around 14k at auction. 20k is a deal and not likely to come around anytime again soon. I know you had to have sold it for a profit. If this doesnt work out Ive learned an expensive lesson and hopefully the community can learn for free!

- - - Updated - - -

STOP THE PRESSES...

I took the bottom seat cushion off and wedged my skinny fingers in between the seat rails, I sprayed some wd40 down there and gave the seat 10 hard kicks, then I ripped out the axle for the motor that
adjusts the seat position... attached it to my drill and..... took forever as I had to do each side individually for both seats but hopefully this is the most difficult thing I will come across.

See below for seat motor

NtH0U4Q.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

See below for seat motor axle that I tore out

CXxRbYt.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

VIDEO

[video=vimeo;152759340]https://vimeo.com/152759340[/video]

- - - Updated - - -

pics of the parts that didnt make the cut.

seat recline motor

1rJMeyf.jpg

seat primary rail motor

7wZ9Alf.jpg

driver classification module

rBB2ujq.jpg

provision for classification module

brP1yFY.jpg

Ok that video explains what you were doing, using the drill to power the seat rail, good going! Nice.
What is that classification module for? To Sense someone is on the seat?
BTW are they heated seats... are you going to show the seat heater membrane and see if it works?
They go bad and spares are good to have....

Ok that video explains what you were doing, using the drill to power the seat rail, good going! Nice.
What is that classification module for? To Sense someone is on the seat?
BTW are they heated seats... are you going to show the seat heater membrane and see if it works?
They go bad and spares are good to have....

yeah I had to tear that axle off the seat motor, put it in the drill and fire away. it took a bit because you have to manually power each side of the rail.

yes classification is to sense that someone is in the seat, its odd. I have yet to find the driver side heater bladder, I found the passenger side which is kinda cool, but not the drivers side, perhaps the drivers side is under the leather as opposed to the passenger side which is under the foam... hmmm...

<snip> I have yet to find the driver side heater bladder, I found the passenger side which is kinda cool, but not the drivers side, perhaps the drivers side is under the leather as opposed to the passenger side which is under the foam... hmmm...
I believe the bladder in the passenger seat is for determining the weight of the passenger and adjusting airbag force. The driver's seat only has a simple on/off switch to determine occupancy.