Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
19frmo.jpg

Tesla rant incoming....

So a friend of mine needs a hand with his Tesla that was hit from the side. He needs a rear 1/4 panel (aka wheel well housing according to Tesla) he is out of state and was wondering if I could exercise my Massachusetts "right to repair" bill. Meaning can I just call up Tesla for him and get a rear 1/4 panel and get the parts that I need ordering as an independent body shop.

Welp the short answer is NO.

The long answer is HELL NO. Sneaky Tesla's way of getting around the right to repair bill is listing parts in 2 categories

1) structural
2) safety/high voltage

So because the chintzy piece of aluminum that weighs all of 5 pounds is listed as a "structural" part, they will not sell it to you, the parts department that I called has no access to the body/structural parts section, I would have to call the ONLY AUTHORIZED TESLA BODY SHOP IN MASSACHUSETTS THE STATE OF OVER 6.5 MILLION PEOPLE to get the part. Well they won't sell me the part, and if they do THEY have to install it, they also said the wait would be around 4 months, but wait, there is more! They can DENY even giving you the fender, they have to call back to HQ before the part is even considered and it would go under review after running the VIN#

Really Tesla? REALLY? So you'd rather have people make sh*tty repairs on their cars then actually giving them access to the parts and tools they need to do a proper repair? Tesla, do you think that your car is made of a magical material that no body shop has ever seen or worked with? Do you guys think that nobody has ever worked with high voltage? I understand that nobody wants the i3, spark EV, fiat 500e, focus E, kia soul EV, B class EV, leaf, E golf , but I'm sure I could call any of their respective parts departments and get anything I need, nor would they force me to use any of their specified body shops.

I'm genuinely curious as to how much potential business they are losing due to these annoyances. What if I told you that if your car needed parts and repairs it could take 4 months to get it the way it was before the accident because you were FORCED to go a specific body shop and they would not sell you parts.

Elon I like you but "OUR SERVICE CENTERS ARE NOT PROFIT CENTERS" well stop treating them as such, so let me get this straight.... you open one authorized body shop in an entire state and funnel all your parts through ONE distribution channel, if your focus was on customer service, I DUNNO, MAYBE YOU CAN OPEN TWO SERVICE CENTERS PER STATE????, and cut the wait from 4 months to 2 months.

I know that ingineer ranted about this a few months back but once you go through it its incredibly frustrating, you know what my friend has to do now? find a salvage vehicle with good 1/4 panels, PAY someone to cut them off and pray they don't get damaged in shipping.