Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE

So yeah, wife isn't very pleased that everytime she steps out of her car she steps on corroded battery modules that have the potential to explode for no reason. She also almost ran one over the other day, so needless to say.... they gotta go.

I put them up for sale in another thread and there was some interest, but I'd feel terrible if they were to spontaneously combust during transit. After doing some digging, I found out that my local autoparts store takes old car batteries in ANY CONDITION and will give you a gift card for TEN WHOLE DOLLARS! Ten bucks??? SIGN ME UPP.

said module

LZoQpdI.jpg

said module at store

ta1jgkw.jpg

UPDATE,

HOW TO MAKE YOUR INTERIOR VERY SEXY

So, the P85 donor car had these really sweet white suede/alacantara interior fabric pieces, now since I am a caveman I removed them with dirty/oily hands and they are near impossible to make clean again. I really really want a black interior anyway so I decided to dye them black...

BLACK DYE

cEtI6kD.jpg

Materials

6Kn5k22.jpg

PURPLE??!?!?, ok no biggie, they should dry black or something

cSJZC0f.jpg

STILL PURPLE 24 HRS LATER

qQuCHvO.jpg

PQNZ3hY.jpg

Side story time...

I went to the service center to pickup some parts and just casually asked them how much it would be to certify a salvaged Tesla. They stated after its 100% fixed they would have to get it towed to the Tesla service center and it ranges anywhere from 1500$ to 3000$ to re certify the car. They can also deny the certification and blacklist the car.

Needless to say I will NOT be bringing the car to tesla to get certified. I'd rather have the car sit on my front lawn than shell out 2000$ and risk making things worse for me.

Lastly before you order ANY parts they ask for your vin# (your location may vary) but if your vin is from a salvaged car, guess what you get? Nothing.

Feel free to quote this post so that in 6 months time when I'm out of options and crawling back to Tesla you can rub it in my face.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Side story time...

I went to the service center to pickup some parts and just casually asked them how much it would be to certify a salvaged Tesla. They stated after its 100% fixed they would have to get it towed to the Tesla service center and it ranges anywhere from 1500$ to 3000$ to re certify the car. They can also deny the certification and blacklist the car.

Needless to say I will NOT be bringing the car to tesla to get certified. I'd rather have the car sit on my front lawn than shell out 2000$ and risk making things worse for me.

Lastly before you order ANY parts they ask for your vin# (your location may vary) but if your vin is from a salvaged car, guess what you get? Nothing.

Feel free to quote this post so that in 6 months time when I'm out of options and crawling back to Tesla you can rub it in my face.
WoNE4hwh.jpg

Side story time...

You are lucky. I was quoted $8000.

The pricing seems to be by the Tesla-approved body shop, and not by Tesla per-se.

• Informative
Reactions: faughtz
4:45 UK time, ignoring work related emails, but as soon as a reply to you thread alerts me I open immediately...

Got everything crossed for you, and no salt water is horrible stuff, here the car wouldn't have been deemed salvage, it would have been crushed!

Reactions: MP3Mike
EPIC POST TIME

Welp. Epic post time. This is what everyone has been waiting for.....

The battery is installed
The drive unit is installed
DC/DC converter installed
My body is ready

I had 2 wires at the back of the mcu mixed with wires that go at the back of the HVAC, so that explains the car going crazy

Damn connectors are all the same back there !!!!

Ok. Sitting on floor in the car

Powers car on, mcu turns on, Instruments cluster turns on !!!!

1 HEADLIGHT WORKS!!
WINDOWS WORK!
COOLANT PUMPS CYCLING!!
SUNROOF WORKS!!
HORN WORKs!!
BRAKE LIGHTS WORK!!
WINDOW CONTROLS WORK!!
HVAC IS BLOWING AIR!!

here is what is not working so far

CHARGE PORT DOOR WILL NOT OPEN..
NO SOUND THROUGH SPEAKERS
CAR WILL NOT SHIFT INTO DRIVE