Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
whelp.

thanks for the suggestions folks! I'm taking a break for now and I'll focus on other stuff on the car and come back to the ABS stuff later...

here is a pic of me turning my brake sensor cluster into a useless keychain!

Kvs8hYe.jpg

fs115Tm.jpg

foaSvNM.jpg

jNUyToS.jpg

Can someone tell me how high the car should be off the ground with each suspension setting from the smart/active air?

Looking from floor to middle of the wheel arch measurements front and rear, any help would be great! Thanks

Maybe this might help (from Air Suspension Height Difference):

Edit: Seems the link above is restricted. But the clearance detail came from that Tesla link (for an S75).

Can someone tell me how high the car should be off the ground with each suspension setting from the smart/active air?

Looking from floor to middle of the wheel arch measurements front and rear, any help would be great! Thanks

My S60 doesn't have air suspension, but the loaner P90DL I have right now does, so I went ahead and made measurements. It is a couple months old facelift Model S though, not sure if it matters.

Screen Shot 2016-12-05 at 9.46.35 AM.png

I hope this helps, measured it twice just to be sure! All in inches btw ;)

Last edited:
I can remeasure if needed! The car I measured on has the 21 turbines and OEM tires so, if OP has the same then it's irrelevant?

Its true that it would make it mostly irrelevant, however I'll add this: if the OP has access or the ability to change the software ride height calibration, that calibration is done in millimeters and is very exact. Way more information than necessary but the values that the system uses tend to range from -800 to +800 so a tiny amount of ride height change registers along that "1600" units, and the system can react.

If Btr_ftw is going to make any lowering adjustments to the ride height he should make a small adjustment, then force the suspension to raise and re-lower to find its true settled location (it will be different).

Also a note to anyone working on air suspension systems: NEVER GO UNDER a vehicle with hydraulic, hydro-pneumatic, or air adjustable height suspension that is unsupported by jack stands or a lift. If you unplug a height corrector or disconnect the pushrod and the system senses infinite range, they usually immediately drop the suspension, if you are under it YOU WILL BE CRUSHED and KILLED. Not trying to be an alarmist- but a friends dad was killed this way a couple years ago. He unplugged the sensor, suspension system deflated immediately and pinned him under the vehicle (non-Tesla).

Last edited:
Its true that it would make it mostly irrelevant, however I'll add this: if the OP has access or the ability to change the software ride height calibration, that calibration is done in millimeters and is very exact. Way more information than necessary but the values that the system uses tend to range from -800 to +800 so a tiny amount of ride height change registers along that "1600" units, and the system can react.

If Btr_ftw is going to make any lowering adjustments to the ride height he should make a small adjustment, then force the suspension to raise and re-lower to find its true settled location (it will be different).

Also a note to anyone working on air suspension systems: NEVER GO UNDER a vehicle with hydraulic, hydro-pneumatic, or air adjustable height suspension that is unsupported by jack stands or a lift. If you unplug a height corrector or disconnect the pushrod and the system senses infinite range, they usually immediately drop the suspension, if you are under it YOU WILL BE CRUSHED and KILLED. Not trying to be an alarmist- but a friends dad was killed this way a couple years ago. He unplugged the sensor, suspension system deflated immediately and pinned him under the vehicle (non-Tesla).

Very helpful comment, thank you! And very sorry about the person who got crushed. I guess this rule always applies, whether air suspension or not: Jack up the car.......