Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disclaimer: on mobile. If I'm not posting the question correctly, let me know. It looks like it's going to be a reply to carl. But I don't know. Here are a couple of questions I have concerning the process of restoring the car.

1: would cutting or removing the first responders loop make the HV components non lethal when working on the flooded car?

2: what level of compatibility for compnenets should I be worried about? If I happened across an AP2 car and wanted to add the dash and interior to an AP1 or non AP car... if I didn't care about AP at all, would it still work. Etc... I assume DU works just fine in place S's.

3: what sort of "upgrades" in battery pack can be achieved in this process? If I get a 2015 s 60. Can I drop in an 85 BP?

4: what is the closing of the HV circuit mean? Sorry if I'm not phrasing it correctly. I'm on mobile at the moment and can't find the video where it's referred to. It seems to be related to the chargers or perhaps the junction box.

5: Does the wiring manual and or tech docs I see floating around eBay make this process easier? I've replaced wiring from one car to another before and it was all just labeling and photo doccing and then swap. But if I got lost....don't want to think about that.

Anyhow. These are the only stupid thoughts I can think of. Thank you for the time it takes for anyone to help me with these questions.

4: what is the closing of the HV circuit mean? Sorry if I'm not phrasing it correctly. I'm on mobile at the moment and can't find the video where it's referred to. It seems to be related to the chargers or perhaps the junction box.

So as I don't know how to edit my post, I'm replying...to... myself...I've just had to stop being dumb and remember what a contactor is...

I had another question for the community though, general question related to how this process should work...

What sort of extra cooling could the cooling system benefit from? If I didn't need the frunk, could someone add a radiator for more "efficient" cooling? I wouldn't want to increase the speed of cooling nor slow it down, I'm imagining I would need to just add another radiator to the coolant circuit and perhaps do something to adjust for the added "mass" of the extra coolant in the system, if that's even a consideration at this scale.

I've got a couple of friends in texas and arizona who are saying cooling is a problem for them on extended trips. For my first build (if the wife even agreed) I would keep it simple, no mods... just curious.

Considering how much Tesla is emphasizing the construction simplicity of the Model 3, I for one cannot wait until someone does something stupid with their shinny new Model 3, and for you to start a new thread called “Repairing a flooded Tesla Model 3 : HOW-TO”.
And then you prove/disprove it.

Notes on that here, like lack of discrete mirror controls, vents, reduction of number of connections to cooling system, etc: Tesla Model 3 is well worth the hype

Reactions: MP3Mike
Sorry guys for my post shenanigans... I'm still getting used to this... And while I am a certified idiot, I'm not entirely sure this forum is terribly intuitive... I expect it to behave like Reddit... not 1996...

I don't come here very often, I post updates on my YouTube page and link here.
If you want answers to your questions join the tesla parts buy sell trade Facebook group, I'm always on there and there are plenty of others that can chime in

Rich-

Firstly, congratulations on getting Delores street legal. It's a heck of a transformation.

Secondly, you are one smart dude. If people have to wade through your rants in order to see whatever detail they're looking for then guess what? The price is right. Personally I enjoy your rants though you didn't sound drunk enough on your drunken rant video. I think I would have been incoherent had all that bad shizzle happen to me on one trip...

Way to go!