Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a salvage Tesla Model S P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't mind telling you my costs as I'm here to learn like most. I'm bit over 31k into the car. Not sure if I over payed but I've been watching Tesla insurance auctions for a few months and it seemed to be better priced to other similarly damadged cars at least to me.

Looking at listed cars I've found with half the options the car seems to go for 75 to 85 k so the hope was to spend no more than 10-15k in repairs for total of 45k into the car and get a daily driver for myself.

I don't want the car to be dangerous in the least but I don't mind being a little more creative to get the car driving.

It seems my main option is to get a donor car for the rear body parts as electrical and all are otherwise intact. I'm also going to see if I can find someone who can weld it on and do the repairs.

I wonder if Newport customs could more easily make this car a convertible since it's probably going to need to have the rear trunk area cut off anyway. A convertible would be worth paying a premium but I'm not sure how viable it is on this car.

5000lb (C&D wgt) convertible with no roll structure and using mostly the battery array for torsional rigidity. What could go wrong?

If you like cars with a hinge in the middle and like checking the chassis routinely for cracking, go for it. Appearance is always more critical than engineering.

Reactions: JPUConn
I don't mind telling you my costs as I'm here to learn like most. I'm bit over 31k into the car. Not sure if I over payed but I've been watching Tesla insurance auctions for a few months and it seemed to be better priced to other similarly damadged cars at least to me.

Looking at listed cars I've found with half the options the car seems to go for 75 to 85 k so the hope was to spend no more than 10-15k in repairs for total of 45k into the car and get a daily driver for myself.

I don't want the car to be dangerous in the least but I don't mind being a little more creative to get the car driving.

It seems my main option is to get a donor car for the rear body parts as electrical and all are otherwise intact. I'm also going to see if I can find someone who can weld it on and do the repairs.

I wonder if Newport customs could more easily make this car a convertible since it's probably going to need to have the rear trunk area cut off anyway. A convertible would be worth paying a premium but I'm not sure how viable it is on this car.

you could have been well on your way to buying a new/second hand one for that sort of money.
You have basically spent on your wreck what I would want to spend just buying a basic model 3 come the time, its what I saving up for.
Makes me think I should stop doing all my charity work and earn some real money lol :D
[nah I don't quit :D lol ]

you could have been well on your way to buying a new/second hand one for that sort of money.
You have basically spent on your wreck what I would want to spend just buying a basic model 3 come the time, its what I saving up for.
Makes me think I should stop doing all my charity work and earn some real money lol :D
[nah I don't quit :D lol ]

The rewards of charity work far outweigh any car purchase so kudos to you for anything and everything you do. Hopefully you are rewarded a hundred times over for it in ways you can't even measure. As for the cost you are right it's not cheap but someone paid 123k for this car when it was new so that guy was apparently doing something I need to learn from. I'm just literally picking up his scraps.

Honestly I looked into the model 3 and I was seriously considering it but my life thus far has been delayed gratification so I didn't want to wait another year for a car that I can't even test drive. Also i drive a decent amount of miles so I spend about 4.5k in gas and oil changes driving my 15yo SUV every year not to mention the counteless hours at the pump.

Lastly even though any car made in the last decade is probably an upgrade for me I really wanted something that excits me. I test drover the model s70 and s85 along with a few other and although confrotable and the car got the job done it wasn't as exciting as I had hoped and I would be out 40k for s CPO base model or 70k+ for a new base model and so the idea of a salvage supercar at 30k seemed like a good idea. This obviously remains to be seen.

I truly believe in the montra that if you don't fail you werent trying but then again that is no excuse for my lack of knowledge thus far about the repair costs of a car like this. Eh you live and u learn we'll see where it goes but I'm still hopeful.

5000lb (C&D wgt) convertible with no roll structure and using mostly the battery array for torsional rigidity. What could go wrong?

If you like cars with a hinge in the middle and like checking the chassis routinely for cracking, go for it. Appearance is always more critical than engineering.

I guess I would be putting my faith in Newport convertibles or a similar company that has made convertible Tesla's in the past. They actually look pretty nice.

Oh boy. When you said cheap my brain went to 10 - 15k. Certainly not 31k. You're deep into a car that's going to cost you just as much to fix as you paid for it and you're going to be left with a car that has no power train warranty and a whole lot of unneeded hassle.

If you wanted exciting and cheap why not just get a used P85? And if you're cool with a salvage car there are tons of already repaired cars that are cheap. Up until very recently we had a couple repaired salvage P85s in the LA area that were $35,000.

The rewards of charity work far outweigh any car purchase so kudos to you for anything and everything you do. Hopefully you are rewarded a hundred times over for it in ways you can't even measure. As for the cost you are right it's not cheap but someone paid 123k for this car when it was new so that guy was apparently doing something I need to learn from. I'm just literally picking up his scraps.

Honestly I looked into the model 3 and I was seriously considering it but my life thus far has been delayed gratification so I didn't want to wait another year for a car that I can't even test drive. Also i drive a decent amount of miles so I spend about 4.5k in gas and oil changes driving my 15yo SUV every year not to mention the counteless hours at the pump.

Lastly even though any car made in the last decade is probably an upgrade for me I really wanted something that excits me. I test drover the model s70 and s85 along with a few other and although confrotable and the car got the job done it wasn't as exciting as I had hoped and I would be out 40k for s CPO base model or 70k+ for a new base model and so the idea of a salvage supercar at 30k seemed like a good idea. This obviously remains to be seen.

I truly believe in the montra that if you don't fail you werent trying but then again that is no excuse for my lack of knowledge thus far about the repair costs of a car like this. Eh you live and u learn we'll see where it goes but I'm still hopeful.

don't make me blush :)
if you ever need any tech support, Photoshop work, editing or such done let me know :)

I can't imagine spending 123k on a car but each to their own.
I get what you mean, I am not a car person, but I am a tech person, which is why a tesla appeals to me, expeciarly autopilot 2, I want a self driving car.

Well I got to pop out to cinema to see transformers (don't judge me please! lol)

Oh boy. When you said cheap my brain went to 10 - 15k. Certainly not 31k. You're deep into a car that's going to cost you just as much to fix as you paid for it and you're going to be left with a car that has no power train warranty and a whole lot of unneeded hassle.

If you wanted exciting and cheap why not just get a used P85? And if you're cool with a salvage car there are tons of already repaired cars that are cheap. Up until very recently we had a couple repaired salvage P85s in the LA area that were $35,000.

When I was younger I worked with a friend whose father fixed salvage ICE cars. We would help him pick cars and the formula was to get a car to cost no more than 60-70% of a used similar one after all the repairs were done. He never had trouble selling a car with this calc even after pulling a premium on the car for profit.

So for this car I figured it's worth 75-85 with even less options the total cost of the car repaired should sit somewhere in the 50k ballpark. That leaves me with 18-19k left for repairs and I was hoping to get away with no more than 15k.
As for the p85s in LA I saw a salvage one going for 37k and the guy wouldn't budge. Didn't make sense to me cause it was a 2013 I believe and non salvage ones go for 43k.

Also unlike this p85d it didn't have autonomous drive which is what I really wanted and was first introduced on p85d in 2014. Additionally they didn't have double motor which is another thing that keeps the car planted and fun to drive in my opinion. On top of that there are options galore on this p85d while maybe unnecessary are fun. So I thought it made sense to get a salvage p85d with hopes of repair but that remains to be seen.

I don't disagree with your math. If the reality was what you posted I might be inclined to agree with you but you're not going to get that car properly fixed for anything near that. It's just not going to happen, especially since your idea of taking on a project seems to still rely on other shops doing the work.

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer here. I'm really not. I've been down this road though and it's littered with people that have purchased damaged cars with grandiose plans only to be slapped in the face by reality shortly after.

I wish you the best best either way. I don't want to discourage projects but this particular car is a hot mess.

I don't disagree with your math. If the reality was what you posted I might be inclined to agree with you but you're not going to get that car properly fixed for anything near that. It's just not going to happen, especially since your idea of taking on a project seems to still rely on other shops doing the work.

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer here. I'm really not. I've been down this road though and it's littered with people that have purchased damaged cars with grandiose plans only to be slapped in the face by reality shortly after.

I wish you the best best either way. I don't want to discourage projects but this particular car is a hot mess.

You may be right but I'll give it a go. If the car is not fixable for somewhere in the ballpark I'll call it a day and take the hit.

31k into it is good for what it is. It'll be another 30-40k to fix it and you'll be golden. If I was you, I'd take it to Amato's in Oceanside and talk to him directly about it, maybe pay him for his time and insight, he can tell you EXACTLY what you'll need from a body shop perspective. You can take that parts list and start ordering what you need from Tesla or hunting around on the forums.

I've got some stuff for sale but its black so that doesn't help you much. (door, bumper, door handle, chrome trim, etc)

When I was younger I worked with a friend whose father fixed salvage ICE cars. We would help him pick cars and the formula was to get a car to cost no more than 60-70% of a used similar one after all the repairs were done. He never had trouble selling a car with this calc even after pulling a premium on the car for profit.

So for this car I figured it's worth 75-85 with even less options the total cost of the car repaired should sit somewhere in the 50k ballpark. That leaves me with 18-19k left for repairs and I was hoping to get away with no more than 15k.
As for the p85s in LA I saw a salvage one going for 37k and the guy wouldn't budge. Didn't make sense to me cause it was a 2013 I believe and non salvage ones go for 43k.

Also unlike this p85d it didn't have autonomous drive which is what I really wanted and was first introduced on p85d in 2014. Additionally they didn't have double motor which is another thing that keeps the car planted and fun to drive in my opinion. On top of that there are options galore on this p85d while maybe unnecessary are fun. So I thought it made sense to get a salvage p85d with hopes of repair but that remains to be seen.

came across a car that had similar damage (not as extreme)

take a look at how much they had to cut

fast forward to the 3 minute mark.