Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Tesla Wall Charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All joking aside, thanks for that info about the power sharing. I "assumed" they had included it when they introduced the Gen3. Now that I've read through some of the details, it says coming soon - which in my jaded eyes means almost nothing. I'm also assuming there isn't really a choice if you're looking for new.
Heh, yeah, you would really think so, wouldn't you? If Tesla had any sense at all, they wouldn't have done this. The Gen2 was an amazing product, and power sharing was a vital feature. It was absolutely brain-dead and user-antagonistic to release such a pathetic unfinished replacement, and I will not stop ranting about that. That's why the Gen2 units are still selling for crazy high prices used. And yeah, you're right. It's been over a year (!) and they still haven't released the software to implement that "coming soon" (eyeroll) feature.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
OP. I know your original post is from October. Did you get yours fixed/replaced? I wanted to reply in case it can possibly help yourself or others. I had the exact same thing happen to one of my Gen 2 chargers last month. I called Tesla and they replaced it under warranty. I did about 10 minutes of troubleshooting over the phone with Tesla and they determined there was an internal issue with it, possibly a contractor. They sent me a replacement unit which arrived a week later. Back in business. Normally dealing with Tesla is very frustrating but the guy who helped me with the replacement of my charger was amazing. He updated me every single day via email with the status. It was amazing. Call Tesla and see what they say. Can’t hurt to try.

You wouldn't be able to switch the cables from old gen 1 to the new gen 3? Is the wiring different? Haven't looked inside.

Novice who fears electricity.
Possible to do, and it'll probably work, BUT it also depends upon the charging rate. If you exceed the 48 amp max of the new cables you're probably risking a fire. Some older cars can go up to 72A of service. You'll probably be SOL if it does catch fire or have problems and they find out.

Does anyone want a Gen1 charger? The handle on mine has partially disconnected, but otherwise works. There's a small gauge white wire that came off. Otherwise, it'll end up in landfill/recycling.

Hello,

Does someone know where I can buy this transformer?

Attachments

• C403E1CC-7E6E-4342-A414-FBD67CB28D04.jpeg
    C403E1CC-7E6E-4342-A414-FBD67CB28D04.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 78
Possible to do, and it'll probably work, BUT it also depends upon the charging rate. If you exceed the 48 amp max of the new cables you're probably risking a fire. Some older cars can go up to 72A of service. You'll probably be SOL if it does catch fire or have problems and they find out.

Does anyone want a Gen1 charger? The handle on mine has partially disconnected, but otherwise works. There's a small gauge white wire that came off. Otherwise, it'll end up in landfill/recycling.
The Gen 1 & Gen 2 cables were much thicker than the Gen 3 cable so nothing the Gen 3 charger can throw at it including 100% @ 48A will have any effect at all given that cable is engineered for nearly double that. If you're looking to replace the Gen 3 cable with a Gen 2 there is no risk of fire due to resistance.

Now, weather it can actually be done or not is another question entirely. I'm not aware of any other leads between the HPWC & the car so it could theoretically be done.

The newer cables are much easier to handle though given how much thinner they are so you would also be getting a much more cumbersome cable to deal with.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
The Gen 1 & Gen 2 cables were much thicker than the Gen 3 cable so nothing the Gen 3 charger can throw at it including 100% @ 48A will have any effect at all given that cable is engineered for nearly double that. If you're looking to replace the Gen 3 cable with a Gen 2 there is no risk of fire due to resistance.

Now, weather it can actually be done or not is another question entirely. I'm not aware of any other leads between the HPWC & the car so it could theoretically be done.

The newer cables are much easier to handle though given how much thinner they are so you would also be getting a much more cumbersome cable to deal with.
Yeah, after seeing your post, I realize that I had put the opposite spin on it - adding a gen 3 cable to a gen 1 charger.