TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Repairing Pre 2015 drivetrain

Discussion in 'Model S' started by snaffah, Jun 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. snaffah

snaffah Member

Thinking ahead, when the warranty runs out and some older cars are still starting to become less than silent due to metal rather than ceramic bearings, there has to be a way to repair the unit without Tesla. I am not a car expert, but I am sure that since the bearing supplier is known, it is possible to remove the drive unit, change the bearings in it, re assemble and put it back in, which is what tesla ultimately does anyway. Bearings are the only point of wear within the drive unit. Has anyone done this, taken a DU apart to judge the difficulty, or anything like that?

2. Max*

Max* Banned

Supply and demand.

When the demand goes up (large quantities of out of warranty Tesla's needing repairs to batteries an DUs) the supply will go up too (mechanics that start working on out of warranty Tesla's).

3. snaffah

snaffah Member

I'm sure that will happen. I'm talking about how to actually do it, the mechanics of replacing the worn bearings