Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing Tesla in Ontario

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there,
Anyone in Ontario buy a salvage tesla and repaired it? Can you share your experience with me?
Main issue I am seeing right now is that no one has the vehicle dimensions to be able to do a structural inspection other than the certified tesla repair shop in Toronto. Anyone know of any other shops?

Luke’s, just wondering if you ever got an answer to your question? My two local shops that do structural inspections don’t have the measurements for Tesla, and I tried contacting the Tesla approved body shops in Toronto but they didn’t even know what a structural inspection was... Seems damn near impossible to rebuild a Tesla here in Ontario... Anyone out there have any advice?

Not impossible, just more expensive as we don't have the economy of scale. Most of the salvages are in the states. Factor in transportation, bidding, currency exchange, import fees, etc, and high labour cost.

You may be better off buying an used one off Tesla or 3rd party dealer.

P100D in Edmonton:
https://www.copart.ca/lot/48211379

Bid is $25K. Entire front end needs work. Battery sitting at low % for months (picture taken when it was 18C out, so a LONG time ago).
Let's say you do well and rebuild for another $20K, plus spend another $5K to certify, you still have a salvage title car with $50K in.

Whereas Tesla CPO site had a P90DL Model S with 4 year warranty for $68K only a few months ago.

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe
If you have contacts in the auto body business, rebuilding cars can be surprisingly inexpensive. I’ve done 5 or 6 now, spending only a few thousand dollars on each to get the repairs done and get the car back on the road. From what I’ve read, Teslas are no different, as long as your dealing with non-structural body repairs and suspension. And with almost any part being widely available in the US for very reasonable prices, it seems like a viable option. The only issue is that if the car was given a salvage title, you need to get a structural inspection done when the repairs are complete. For some reason, nobody can do them on a Tesla, and even Tesla has no answers. The while thing is really strange.