Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repeat phantom braking locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like some suffer repeat phantom braking events at round about the same location. I think it would be interesting to know if others have the same experience and whether it is TACC or Autosteer (or as some would term Autopilot).

I'll kick off with M4 near M32 merge entering outskirts of Bristol just after this bridge I think - driven it twice, just a few days apart, probably overcast, hard phantom braking twice. Can't remember if I was on Autosteer both times or just TACC. I certainly reverted to plain TACC afterwards,

Reactions: init6 and MrT3
6F2AB35F-9D46-4ED0-BFA8-D045D86FE35D.jpg
This is the bridge that sometimes gets me in TACC. More often heading west but sometimes going east. M4 west of the A419 Swindon junction.

There are different "grades" as well, in my limited experience so far. There is a hesitancy, or a reluctance to proceed past a vehicle or junction etc. Then there is a slowing for a curtain sided HGV which may involve losing 20mph or so fairly quickly, and then there is apparently a full on emergency brake - which I have not yet had. I also had a fairly sharp brake when a lorry came towards me around a bend (on his own side) and the car got very nervous as he appeared into view!

And a few late brakes when a car has already crossed in front at a good distance and is no longer a danger at all, and in reality never was.

It appears that it always "fails safe" rather than to any form of danger, but has a very low threshold of danger to always "fail safe"

Maybe people can press the camera icon to save the dash cam footage when they experience a phantom - if we all flood Youtube with Tesla TACC fails they might start to do something about it.
That is an idea. If you sound the horn it saves the last few minutes too. I did that a few times so as to review after and see if I could see what happened.

You can also push the right scroll-button and say "bug report phantom braking" in your finest American accent, and that'll send the data directly to Tesla.

No it doesn't. It only puts a marker in the log files. You then need to make Tesla aware of the report via other means, ie raising a service request (and ideally giving details and approx date/time), in a timely manner so that it does not get before Tesla have a chance to look at it. This is believed to be somewhere around 10-14 days.

However submitting a bug report can be quite therapeutic even if it doesn't gets seen 😶‍🌫️

I think this can be due to rogue speed limit data, rather than true phantom braking.

The M6 (becomes the M6 toll) to M6 slip road, heading west, is an example of this. There's a 40 limit that lasts a few hundred metres or so, which isn't fun when AP is set to 70.

Reactions: Drew57