Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repeated charging since the latest update? Anyone else getting this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Billbrown1982

TM3 LR 2021 | Red | FSD
Dec 21, 2020
Basildon
So when I finally got my car back from the SC, it had been updated with the latest software apparently.

Since then I've noticed something odd, if I leave it on charge and set it at say 95%. It'll charge to that, then it drops to 94 about an hour later (probably sentry mode) and starts charging again, to 95.

It never used to do this before. So when I'm getting back in the car after work there's a message on the screen saying repeated charging may damage battery etc etc.

Has something changed with its behaviour that anyone else has noticed?

We had something similar a month or so ago. The car was on 2021.4.12. They were only for a minute or so. Sentry mode was enabled during this period.

I have seen something similar before, but no where near as acute as this. Its not occurred since as far as I am aware.

1620982479913.png

It was happening to me after an update last month (I think). Tesla said they'd look at the data but didn't get back to me until I filled in the "Tell us how we did" email. (!) They now say they have fixed it and I have to say I haven't seen it doing the same thing for a few days.
There are many similar reports on various forums.

Did the hard reset this morning, charged it to full at work and it behaved - so hopefully fixed.

Its funny, I'm the first person to suggest doing a reset for so many things that people come up with, but for some reason this one just didn't feel like a "reset will fix" kind of problem.

Hopefully I was wrong! Cheers guys ;)

So when I finally got my car back from the SC, it had been updated with the latest software apparently.

Since then I've noticed something odd, if I leave it on charge and set it at say 95%. It'll charge to that, then it drops to 94 about an hour later (probably sentry mode) and starts charging again, to 95.

It never used to do this before. So when I'm getting back in the car after work there's a message on the screen saying repeated charging may damage battery etc etc.

Has something changed with its behaviour that anyone else has noticed?

My car has always done that ever since I've had it when the battery level drops to a certain level beneath what your charge point is set at the car will draw the contactors in and engage the charger and recharge itself to your set point that behavior is normal.

I don't know that I would routinely set my charge point to 95% if you reduce that to 90% you should see less recharge occurrences. And do you actually need that much range on a daily basis?

Depending which charger it is - my feeling is that it's firing up to charge the 12v battery when that voltage drops a tad. Sentry mode will certainly do that. And perhaps if the 12v is getting long in the tooth too it would drop fairly quickly.
Can't do the system much good, switching on and off all the time.

Reactions: tccartier
My car has always done that ever since I've had it when the battery level drops to a certain level beneath what your charge point is set at the car will draw the contactors in and engage the charger and recharge itself to your set point that behavior is normal.

I don't know that I would routinely set my charge point to 95% if you reduce that to 90% you should see less recharge occurrences. And do you actually need that much range on a daily basis?

So, 95% was more of a throw it out there percentage that I don't use super regularly, but because that is what i had it set at on that particular day. I was charging at work (which is free) so I tend to want to get as much out of is as possible. 95% seemed like a good number to creep to, as by the time I get home i'll be on 85 and then the following day back to 75. So, IF I manage to get back on the charge point again, at least i've got something to put in it.

But previously it would always get to the set point and then just sit there until I unplugged and replugged in the charger. Starting the charge again, especially after only a 1% drop seems, nuts.
Depending which charger it is - my feeling is that it's firing up to charge the 12v battery when that voltage drops a tad. Sentry mode will certainly do that. And perhaps if the 12v is getting long in the tooth too it would drop fairly quickly.
Can't do the system much good, switching on and off all the time.

Its a 7kw podpoint. Nothing fancy, just what our work has installed. Free charging so no app control.

Also, its 3 month old car, so don't think the 12v should be having any issues at this stage. Sentry mode is on however, which would explain the overall drop but restarting the charge after only a 1% drop seems weird.

I wish the car could just charge to your setpoint and then run off the mains so to speak, so sentry mode would just run directly from the charger until you unplugged in. Would reduce wear on the battery for sure.

So, 95% was more of a throw it out there percentage that I don't use super regularly, but because that is what i had it set at on that particular day. I was charging at work (which is free) so I tend to want to get as much out of is as possible. 95% seemed like a good number to creep to, as by the time I get home i'll be on 85 and then the following day back to 75. So, IF I manage to get back on the charge point again, at least i've got something to put in it.

But previously it would always get to the set point and then just sit there until I unplugged and replugged in the charger. Starting the charge again, especially after only a 1% drop seems, nuts.

Its a 7kw podpoint. Nothing fancy, just what our work has installed. Free charging so no app control.

Also, its 3 month old car, so don't think the 12v should be having any issues at this stage. Sentry mode is on however, which would explain the overall drop but restarting the charge after only a 1% drop seems weird.

I wish the car could just charge to your setpoint and then run off the mains so to speak, so sentry mode would just run directly from the charger until you unplugged in. Would reduce wear on the battery for sure.
My point is about the 12v battery, not the HV one.