Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repeated Model 3 power window issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This winter I’ve had repeated, intermittent issues with the power window in my Model 3's driver’s door not working properly or not working at all.

Sometimes the window doesn’t work at all -- in that it won’t lower/raise when opening/closing the door, and it won’t respond when using power window switch.
(The first few times this happened, it occurred around the same time as snow or freezing rain, so I assumed it was due to the window or power window mechanism freezing. But now it’s happened a few times subsequently when there’s been no precipitation for days and was working normally after the last precipitation, so I’m pretty sure it isn’t related to anything freezing.)

Other times, the window will respond to using the switch on the door, but the all-the-way up/down feature when you press the switch all the way down/up (past the first detent) does NOT work.
I searched on the forums for instances of this happening to other people and here I learned that this could be fixed by resetting the calibration of the power window (by holding the window switch all the way down and rolling the window all the way down and then continuing to hold down the switch for several seconds after that, and then doing the same thing and rolling all the way up). But this problem has resurfaced 3-4 times now, so the fix is only temporary.

One example: Yesterday I had the problem with the “all-the-way” feature not working in the morning, so I did the calibration reset in the afternoon and fixed it. But then later that evening the window stopped working altogether, and it still isn’t working today.

Also worth noting: Doing a scroll-wheel reset doesn’t fix it. And I’ve had no problems with any of the other windows -- just the driver’s.

Anyway... I just wanted to see if others have had similar issues before I reach out to Tesla service about it.

After a failed attempt by a mobile tech to fix it, I took it into the Service Center, and they said they found a broken wire in the door wiring harness that they think is the culprit.

A new harness is on order and they say I should have my Model 3 back in about a week. (At least this time I got a Tesla loaner instead of getting stuck in an ICEV for 2 weeks like the last time I had an issue!) :p

Did you get your window fixed? The windows on my passenger side won’t roll down and the doors don’t want to shut because the window hits the frame.

Update: Mobile service came out and did a “cold boot” which consisted of disconnecting the high voltage cable under the rear passenger seat, and the negative terminal on the 12v battery. He then re-installed 28.3.1, and everything it back to normal:)

Reactions: bigroo42
Update: Mobile service came out and did a “cold boot” which consisted of disconnecting the high voltage cable under the rear passenger seat, and the negative terminal on the 12v battery. He then re-installed 28.3.1, and everything it back to normal:)

New update: the problem popped back during a road trip, up so I took it to a service center. Turns out the culprit was the vehicle control module, located in the right side floor board, kick panel.
It controls the windows, mirror, HVAC, and a couple of other things. The new module seems to be working, except now, my passenger side rear door won’t open :-(

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic

Update: Mobile service came yesterday and it appears the 2nd VC right module is also bad.
Since it’s not something mobile can reaper it looks like a trip to the nearest service center in Dallas which is five hours away. :-(
They also determined a squeak in the suspension is an upper ball joint. The car has 47,000 miles on it. This is a real bummer because I’m scheduled to attend a Drive Electric event this weekend and give test rides. Something tells me people won’t be impressed by a car with a worn out suspension and door that wont open.

Last edited:
My rear drivers side door has window issues and door handle issues. I had a mobile tech "fix" it but it stopped working a day later. Seems the 2 issues are related. THe door handle will not open the door, nor the inside button. THe window will work fine from the drivers control but the auto up/down will not work on the door. Only the half press way works. If you press it all the way down or pull all the way up it stops the window.

This winter I’ve had repeated, intermittent issues with the power window in my Model 3's driver’s door not working properly or not working at all.

Sometimes the window doesn’t work at all -- in that it won’t lower/raise when opening/closing the door, and it won’t respond when using power window switch.
(The first few times this happened, it occurred around the same time as snow or freezing rain, so I assumed it was due to the window or power window mechanism freezing. But now it’s happened a few times subsequently when there’s been no precipitation for days and was working normally after the last precipitation, so I’m pretty sure it isn’t related to anything freezing.)

Other times, the window will respond to using the switch on the door, but the all-the-way up/down feature when you press the switch all the way down/up (past the first detent) does NOT work.
I searched on the forums for instances of this happening to other people and here I learned that this could be fixed by resetting the calibration of the power window (by holding the window switch all the way down and rolling the window all the way down and then continuing to hold down the switch for several seconds after that, and then doing the same thing and rolling all the way up). But this problem has resurfaced 3-4 times now, so the fix is only temporary.

One example: Yesterday I had the problem with the “all-the-way” feature not working in the morning, so I did the calibration reset in the afternoon and fixed it. But then later that evening the window stopped working altogether, and it still isn’t working today.

Also worth noting: Doing a scroll-wheel reset doesn’t fix it. And I’ve had no problems with any of the other windows -- just the driver’s.

Anyway... I just wanted to see if others have had similar issues before I reach out to Tesla service about it.
You searched the forem but no mention of tesla service???? Why wouldnt you bring it in for service? I and my family members own 6 model3s and have not had any issues but certainly would have brought the car in for service if such an issue existed

You searched the forem but no mention of tesla service???? Why wouldnt you bring it in for service? I and my family members own 6 model3s and have not had any issues but certainly would have brought the car in for service if such an issue existed

So you're going to revive a six month old thread to scold the OP, who was just asking if other owners had an issue before he took it to service?

Are you aware that in some parts of the country getting a vehicle into service is an ordeal so owners might try to find easy solutions before they potentially take one or more days off from work to have Tesla service their vehicle?

Also thanks for letting all of us know your virtuousness that your family has six of these cars. Bravo!

On the subject of windows, I'm wondering why you can not raise or lower the windows remotely. That would be a good feature as when it's hot I leave them cracked a bit to allow heat to escape but if it were to start raining, putting them up remotely would be great. Also, lowering them on a hot day while approaching the vehicle would help. My 2013 Ford fusion did that, up & down all 4 windows if you held the key fob long enough.

So you're going to revive a six month old thread to scold the OP, who was just asking if other owners had an issue before he took it to service?

Are you aware that in some parts of the country getting a vehicle into service is an ordeal so owners might try to find easy solutions before they potentially take one or more days off from work to have Tesla service their vehicle?

Also thanks for letting all of us know your virtuousness that your family has six of these cars. Bravo!
Are you aware Chicago is not one of the areas without service center? I also believe that Chicago not only has landline phones but also cellular service so no block to calling tesla service

• Disagree
Reactions: jsmay311
Nothing on my left rear door works. I changed window regulator and door handle mechanism.
Oh dang, now to find door control module bad. Dang engineers.
I wondered why master driver switch panel only had 3 pins. This is INSANE door control wiring. Fighter jets aren't this crazy. :(

Amen. I have to tell you, a good many sanctimonious folks seem to own Teslas. Lots of lecturing and telling others why they are wrong, or what they should have done. Seriously, I’ve been on many user forums for many things, to include other vehicles. Tesla owners seem to be one of the more holier than thou groups I’ve observed. Like the guy that lectured another dude about why he would lower his car; since this dude felt the car was the perfect height and the engineers spent much time getting it just the right height. To each is own. Live and let live. Etc etc. Have a nice day.

Reactions: jsmay311