Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repeated "Popping/ticking" Sound from Rear Speaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The sound system in my 2018 P3D had been working just fine. However, this morning, I started hearing a very annoying popping or ticking sound. The sound is a very short "pop" and it repeats every 2-3 seconds endelessly. The sound only occurs when the sound system is turned on. The sound occurs no matter what audio source is being played (FM tuner, Spotify, bluetooth). I then adjusted the audio balance settings. When I select only the front speakers (and turn off the rear speakers), the sound completely disappears. But when the rear speakers are turned back on, the sound starts again. I am guessing there is some sort of loose wire connecting one of the rear speakers, causing the popping sound.

Has anyone else experienced this? What was the fix? I am guessing a service center visit might be necessary, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Joe

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3
Yes, I experienced this in my 2018 model 3. It’s a complete mind-boggling thing when it occurs but clearly was related to the rear camera wiring harness that has been recalled. After I got that fixed - out of pocket unfortunately- all the speaker issues went away. Are you having any issues with your rear camera? Have you had the recl service done?

Yes, I experienced this in my 2018 model 3. It’s a complete mind-boggling thing when it occurs but clearly was related to the rear camera wiring harness that has been recalled. After I got that fixed - out of pocket unfortunately- all the speaker issues went away. Are you having any issues with your rear camera? Have you had the recl service done?
That's good to know. No, I have not had the rear harness replaced yet and I am still under warranty for another 6 months. I will definitely make a SC appt. Thank you!

That's good to know. No, I have not had the rear harness replaced yet and I am still under warranty for another 6 months. I will definitely make a SC appt. Thank you!
If you were notified by Tesla that your car is affected by the rear harness recall, you'll need to wait for Service to notify you that the parts are available. I had our Model 3 serviced for other reasons recently, and they couldn't do anything about the recall yet because they didn't have parts. Interestingly, they didn't even know about the recall until I showed them the letter I received from Tesla (this was in WPB Florida).

If you were notified by Tesla that your car is affected by the rear harness recall, you'll need to wait for Service to notify you that the parts are available. I had our Model 3 serviced for other reasons recently, and they couldn't do anything about the recall yet because they didn't have parts. Interestingly, they didn't even know about the recall until I showed them the letter I received from Tesla (this was in WPB Florida).
Thanks for the heads up. I actually was able to make an appointment for a mobile service visit next week.

Reactions: Thp3