Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repeated TPMS failures on a 2.0 Roadster with 44k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought my Roadster in Dec. 2012 with 19k miles on it. I drive it nearly every day but have only put 25k miles on it in 5+ years.

Since I've owned it I've replaced 3 of the 4 tire pressure monitor sensors, and have even had to replace 1 of them a second time, only 1 mos. after it had just been replaced.

And now again, all the warning lights are on --the "Fault" yellow light and the tire pressure icon on the dash, + the "tire pressure monitor service required" on the display, .

Aren't TPMS supposed to last 5-10 years? Aren't the batteries inside them supposed to last years?

Bought my Roadster in Dec. 2012 with 19k miles on it. I drive it nearly every day but have only put 25k miles on it in 5+ years.

Since I've owned it I've replaced 3 of the 4 tire pressure monitor sensors, and have even had to replace 1 of them a second time, only 1 mos. after it had just been replaced.

And now again, all the warning lights are on --the "Fault" yellow light and the tire pressure icon on the dash, + the "tire pressure monitor service required" on the display, .

Aren't TPMS supposed to last 5-10 years? Aren't the batteries inside them supposed to last years?
I assume you have a 2.x and I hear those sensors are problematic. If you have a 1.5 then yes they should last for 5-8 years.

Hi Pkoslyn,

Replacing 3 of 4 sensors can be a bad practice...
Unless you know that 4th sensor was replaced recently.
Generally I replace the sensors in pairs. If new rear tires are needed
it is a good time to check and possibly replace the rear tire sensors.
The battery life should be expected to be 5 years anything more is a bonus.
The programming tool should be able to read the sensor battery charge level.
You could be lucky and it's just time for the 4th sensor to be replaced.

With all of that being said, it is also possible that one of your antennas has failed
or the ECU could be bad. It interprets the signals from the antennas.

Good luck,

Shawn