Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repeater camera feeds are mostly useless when turn signal is on at night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else get a lot of glare on the left and right repeater feeds when the turn signal on that side is on, and you’re driving in the dark? For me, the turn signal directly above the camera casts an orange glare over the entire top half of the video. The housings don’t seem to be loose or anything.

I’m wondering if this issue is caused by the chrome housing. If any of you has a chance to test it out, along with your results let me know if your vehicle has chrome or black trim. I’ll try covering the housings with tape when I have time to retest.

Reactions: ZOEs_EndGame
Chr
Does anyone else get a lot of glare on the left and right repeater feeds when the turn signal on that side is on, and you’re driving in the dark? For me, the turn signal directly above the camera casts an orange glare over the entire top half of the video. The housings don’t seem to be loose or anything.

I’m wondering if this issue is caused by the chrome housing. If any of you has a chance to test it out, along with your results let me know if your vehicle has chrome or black trim. I’ll try covering the housings with tape when I have time to retest.

Chrome delete on mine and it's still an issue.

I see that too, I have chrome.

In a way there is an advantage to seeing the state of the turn signal -- it is proof you had it on if you have an accident and there is any question about that.

But it would be better if it didn't block out so much of the image.

I found the feature to be a bit useless as well. For example I don’t need it on a one lane road. And the glare does make it very distracting as you have to fully process what you are looking at, as opposed to a quick glance. I wonder if Tesla can use processing to cancel out the turn signal.

I turned the feature off primarily due to the turn signal glare at night. Secondarily the video feed "snaps" on and off, which is itself a distraction. Fade in/out would be better.

I'll stick to trusting my side mirrors which are angled out so no overlap with the rear-view mirror (per current SAE / AAA recommendation). I can understand why those who aim their mirrors the old way would want blind spot monitoring.

Reactions: Sackmonkey
On my 2021 Model 3 (delivered end of 2020) does have some orange glare from the blinkers when at night, but not as bad as in some of the videos in below thread (where things turn purple).
Glare from side repeaters in blind spot camera?

But it's also not as clear as the example in the linked reddit thread, where there is essentially no glare at all.

I had the cams out for PPF BTW and mine are 1495864-20-C and 1495865-20-C so are not the latest revision (which end in D).

Last edited:
I think we all need to bear in mind those cameras were not designed for turn signal view. They are designed for FSD and for a computer to interpret the image. The turn signal view is just an occasional assistance, not a replacement for correctly placed mirrors and turning your neck. They are not good at night but for me, very good in the day.

Reactions: Amped412
I found the feature to be a bit useless as well. For example I don’t need it on a one lane road. And the glare does make it very distracting as you have to fully process what you are looking at, as opposed to a quick glance. I wonder if Tesla can use processing to cancel out the turn signal.
I wonder if they could show the image only when the indicators not on and just reuse some frames when watching it?

Reactions: kayak1