Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repeater camera feeds are mostly useless when turn signal is on at night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See Tevo Solutions' fix on my post.

Not necessarily. The video feed that it shows on the screen is filtered for human consumption and may be a subset of the frames that AP and FSD sees.
Maybe..... But IMHO that is a long shot. Seems more like a camera design defect. They would need to drop frames while the blinker is on in AP to ignore the glare. And only do it on models with the defective cameras. Again IMHO that would lower the ability of Tesla Vision to see an object in a timely matter. I highly suspect part of Tesla Vision requires frame comparison and dropping frames would hinder that process.

From the video, doesn't look like there is an easy way. The housing appears to be completely sealed from factory (other than the gore patch) and isn't fastened together in a way you can take apart. The ones that they disassemble, they had to use a Dremel to cut around the edge, but they still managed to damage some of it.

From the video it looks like they say the version I have was already the fixed one (as the board is different and doesn't have the holes). I will have to double check when I have the chance if I actually do have glare (as from memory I remember seeing some), but it might have been reflections from the body and not the glare problem others were having. Also possible mine still has some residual glare from around the lens (the translucent glue mentioned in video) and a later revision used black glue instead to completely eliminate it.
I fixed them. I took a dremel to it with with very small cutting wheel and made a small rectangle instead of 2 holes. Gave me plenty of open room to work with and I applied tape over the holes and the mating surface glue on both cameras. I then sealed the cutout with silicone. No more glare. Im happy with the fix.

Maybe..... But IMHO that is a long shot. Seems more like a camera design defect. They would need to drop frames while the blinker is on in AP to ignore the glare. And only do it on models with the defective cameras. Again IMHO that would lower the ability of Tesla Vision to see an object in a timely matter. I highly suspect part of Tesla Vision requires frame comparison and dropping frames would hinder that process.
The flashing turn signals on the cameras bother us humans, but it probably doesn't bother AP at all. The computer filters the camera input and is designed to detect objects and lines. So I don't think varying lighting levels (aka the blinker flashing on and off) will affect how it works. If it did, I'm sure Tesla would have noticed long ago and changed the repeater design.

I fixed them. I took a dremel to it with with very small cutting wheel and made a small rectangle instead of 2 holes. Gave me plenty of open room to work with and I applied tape over the holes and the mating surface glue on both cameras. I then sealed the cutout with silicone. No more glare. Im happy with the fix.
nice. I guess if it bothers one, and they mess up, it costs $$ to get it fixed. I know myself with power tool, i dont have surgical precision. will wait or not have turn signals on.

Someone posted that Tesla will replace the cameras under warranty if you have this issue.
I had my car in last week for the PT sensors and brought up the glare in the repeaters. They compared mine to close VIN and said it is normal. They may change their stance on this but currently I was unable to get them replaced under warranty

Last edited:
Nice! Do you have any pictures to help us replicate this?

I broke my repeaters trying to take them off, but that made it easy to remove the circuit boards/cam and coat them with Plasti Dip. Then I put them back together with epoxy. That fixed the glare issue on my repeaters, which were very early versions (possibly the first versions since my car was made in March 2018). Mine are part numbers 1125106-77-A and 1125107-77-A. The only negative was that I lost the chrome caps that go on the repeaters, and I like those because they match the rest of the chrome and the silver metallic color of my car. I could have glued them back on, but one would have a small dent where it was bent. I might just order the chrome covers that Tesla sells and re-chrome them later (part numbers 1514877-01-C and 1514878-01-C).

Here they are after I took them off
broken repeaters.jpg
Here they are after I coated them with Plasti Dip. I only had red and it doesn't seem to let light through, but black might be better.
coated repeater cams.jpg
Here they are after I epoxied them back together. You can't see any of the glued seams when they are installed.
glued repeaters 1.jpg

glued repeaters 2.jpg

A here is the top view where you can see that they are now "dechromed".
glued repeaters 3.jpg