Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repeater Camera Parking View Too Small to be Useful - Should be similar to TeslaCam Viewer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was super excited to receive the 2020.24 update because my daily driving involves navigating very tight spaces with curbs, walls, and parking entrances in very close proximity.

I have less than 10 inches clearance on either side in these situations and the ultrasonic sensors are absolutely worthless because they stop counting down after 12 inches so they are useless when I need them the most.

They've made a very curious and not so helpful decision with the user interface for the Repeater Camera Parking View where the video is almost like a thumbnail and too small. When I need this video feed, I literally have about 3-5 inches of clearance so I need to be able to clearly see the Repeater Camera View the same size as the Rear Camera View.

What would be awesom is if in addition to the small repeater camera view they are showing if you can simply swipe to the left and right of the Rear View Camera View to show the left or right Repeater Camera View but have that view appear as the same size as the rear view camera view.

Am I missing something with the current implementation where it is possible to see a larger view of the repeater camera video but I haven't figured out how to do that?

Basically I'd love to see something similar to the TeslaCam Viewer where you can select the camera to view and whatever view you selected is shown as a large video taking up the entire width of the display so you can clearly see everything.

Yeah I would love this as well. I'll post a couple of photos showing how it would be super useful to be able able to see the Repeater Camera just as large as the rear view camera.

The small repeater camera video they currently show IMHO is just too small when negotiating tight spaces, especially in the dark.

Love the idea of being able to swipe left and right from the rear view camera to see the left or right repeater just as large as the rear view camera.

I was honestly surprised with how small the repeater video is shown with no obvious way to make it larger. Unless I'm missing something. I've tried pressing, double taping, swiping, anything I can think of to make that repeater video larger but no dice.

They can make the ultrasonic 360 overlay optional and set that screen space as a second camera feed.

The ultrasonics are still very useful but options are best.

That's a great idea where you can perhaps "zoom into" a secondary camera feed and return back to the ultrasonic plus thumbnail video view. There just need to be a way to make the repeater view feed larger.

I feel they still have plenty of space for the ultrasonic display plus the video thumbnails on the bottom half, as they do now, with the rear view camera feed on the top half when you engage the parking assistance view. Plus it gives you some level of situational awareness seeing the camera feeds and the ultrasonic sensors at the same time. Just that there has to be a way to make the selected video feed bigger.

Look how elegantly they designed the TeslaCam Viewer. You can easily switch the camera view on the fly and whichever camera view selected is shown as large as possible taking up the full width of the screen.

If they could essentially duplicate the user interface from TeslaCam Viewer and also add the B-Pillar video feeds it would really help those of us who have to navigate tight spaces daily.

Last edited:
I am in complete agreement with this, the thumbnail view is way too small. I was also really excited to have this feature, but it seems almost useless because it is way too small to view when pulling into a really tight garage. Hopefully they take the suggestion of being able to tap on a camera feed and have it enlarge.

I'm thinking the easiest/best way to show the repeater camera view "full size" would be to just allow you to swipe left and right from the video feed of the rear view camera. A quick swipe towards the left of the rear view camera and you see the left repeater and a quick swipe towards the right shows you the right repeater.

Other option is to make the rear view camera view behave like Sentry Viewer where pressing the left or right bottom corner will bring up the left or right repeater and pressing the left or right top corner will bring up the left or right B-pillar camera. This way you always have quick access to all 4 cameras in full screen mode to help with parking and right spots.

Would really help alleviate some of the issues of not having 360 view.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
Here are a few photos showing why this is such a big deal for those of us who park in really tight spaces.

The first photo is the good old side view mirror. Notice how tight my garage is where I basically have barely 1-2 INCHES between the mirror and the garage wall. But the mirror clearly shows the amount of space I have with the gap between the garage door frame and the car.

The second photo shows what the repeater camera view would look like if it was "full width" just like Sentry Viewer. Notice how the larger view is useful and you can clearly see the gap between the garage door frame and the car. This view would be even more useful for when you are parking within an inch or two of a curb

The third photo shows the problem. The repeater camera view is too small to confidently tell how much space there is between the rear tire and a curb, or in my case, the garage door frame and the car.

I totally get why they have the current interface but this would be so much more useful if they let you make the repeater camera feed as large as the rear view camera. I love the idea of being able to swipe the rear view camera left or the right to see the left or right repeater video feed the in same size as the rear view camera.

Side-view camera shows the narrow gap between the garage door frame and the car. Also works great when the mirror tilts down to see space between the rear tire and a curb.
20200628_184420.jpg

This is what I'd love to see and this view comes courtesy of Dashcam Viewer and I love how it lets you switch between the rear camera or a repeater on the fly and whichever video feed selected is shown taking the full width of the display. This is what we really need for parking assistance camera view with the addition of the B Pillar cameras.

20200628_183752.jpg

Unfortunately when the repeater camera video is made as small as it is now, look how you can barely confidently gauge the distance between the garage door frame and the car (or a curb a couple of inches from a rear wheel). This is not such an issue for those of you who drive in wide open spaces but those who have to deal with tight parking situations daily, a larger repeater camera view would make a big difference.

20200628_183632.jpg
20200628_203519.jpg

Attachments

• 20200628_183633.jpg
    20200628_183633.jpg
    519 KB · Views: 40
  • 20200628_183636.jpg
    20200628_183636.jpg
    528 KB · Views: 37
  • 20200628_183642.jpg
    20200628_183642.jpg
    559.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 20200628_183658.jpg
    20200628_183658.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 38
  • 20200628_183839.jpg
    20200628_183839.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20200628_184327.jpg
    20200628_184327.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 35
Be happy you got it though. I'm HW3 and MCU1, and I didn't get these with the update.

BTW, I'd spring for the $2,500 to upgrade from MCU1 to 2 in a sec if they added a big repeater view on turn signal. That would solve your problem as well since you could just turn on your turn signal. For some reason, Tesla doesn't think blind spots are a big deal.

Reactions: beachmiles
if they added a big repeater view on turn signal. That would solve your problem as well since you could just turn on your turn signal.

Yes!!! This is exactly what I thought.
In addition to a Sentry Viewer type interface for the new backup overlay, it would be amazing to have the side repeater camera feed appear on the Instrument Cluster on S and X every time you switch on your turn signals. Sort of like on the 2020 Hyundai Sonata.

This would be hard to implement on Model 3 and Y due to the lack of Instrument Cluster, but we need to differentiate the "top of the line models", don't we :p.

Be happy you got it though. I'm HW3 and MCU1, and I didn't get these with the update.

BTW, I'd spring for the $2,500 to upgrade from MCU1 to 2 in a sec if they added a big repeater view on turn signal. That would solve your problem as well since you could just turn on your turn signal. For some reason, Tesla doesn't think blind spots are a big deal.

So many people are asking for a big view of the repeater camera in so many ways whether it is initiated by the turn signal, some sort of 360 view, or the option to see the repeater camera view as large as the rear view camera view.

I really hope they they figure out a way to offer a "full screen" view of the repeater camera. I'd fine this so useful just about every time I park and even when negotating ramps of parking garages that curve.

Yes!!! This is exactly what I thought.
In addition to a Sentry Viewer type interface for the new backup overlay, it would be amazing to have the side repeater camera feed appear on the Instrument Cluster on S and X every time you switch on your turn signals. Sort of like on the 2020 Hyundai Sonata.

This would be hard to implement on Model 3 and Y due to the lack of Instrument Cluster, but we need to differentiate the "top of the line models", don't we :p.

Yeah a Sentry Viewer type interface would be perfect so you can easily switch the camera views. Also being able to access the B Pillar camera views would be awesome. The key thing is to make the camera views large enough to be useful though.

Another view that would be "nice to have" is the view that you see with Smart Summon where the car "maps" and displays curbs and other items it detects in a LIDAR-like point map.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
I will add my voice to how useless the current implementation is. Actually, I find it so distracting having the two tiny images there, that I've turned them off.

I was finding that at just the critical moment when you are navigating the super tight spot, you look at the small side images and start trying to make out the detail but it takes too long with the image being so small.

Using the same layout as the recently added viewer with clickable thumbnails would be better.

Of course rear image brightness still needs fixing too!

I will add my voice to how useless the current implementation is. Actually, I find it so distracting having the two tiny images there, that I've turned them off.

I was finding that at just the critical moment when you are navigating the super tight spot, you look at the small side images and start trying to make out the detail but it takes too long with the image being so small.

Using the same layout as the recently added viewer with clickable thumbnails would be better.

Of course rear image brightness still needs fixing too!

Yeah this is exactly the problem. I don't need these views when there is plenty of space. I need the repeater view as large as possible when I have just a few inches to work with. Just when I need this feature the most, the thumbnail sized video is too small to be of much use.

The first time I saw this interface, I kept pressing on the thumbnail video thinking "Of course they made it so you can click on it to make it larger" and I tried pressing and swiping on it every way possible only to dawn on me that there is no way to make that view bigger. o_O

As suggested previously, they should not reinvent this user interface, and instead use what they have already implemented and works so well: The Sentry Viewer interface where you can switch camera views just by pressing.

Another approach is allowing swiping on the rear view camera to see different views:
  • Swipe from top left corner brings left B pillar camera
  • Swipe from bottom left corner brings left repeater
  • Swipe from top right corner bright right B pillar camera
  • Swipe from bottom right corner brings right repeater
  • Swipe from middle of bottom and up and you get the two repeater views side by side
  • Swipe from middle of top and down and you get the two b pillar views side by side
Now all the views are readily accessible and no changes are needed to the UI. They made this implementation way more complicated than needed and ended up creating something that is not so useful.

• Love
Reactions: DCEV
Here are a few photos showing why this is such a big deal for those of us who park in really tight spaces.

The first photo is the good old side view mirror. Notice how tight my garage is where I basically have barely 1-2 INCHES between the mirror and the garage wall. But the mirror clearly shows the amount of space I have with the gap between the garage door frame and the car.

The second photo shows what the repeater camera view would look like if it was "full width" just like Sentry Viewer. Notice how the larger view is useful and you can clearly see the gap between the garage door frame and the car. This view would be even more useful for when you are parking within an inch or two of a curb

The third photo shows the problem. The repeater camera view is too small to confidently tell how much space there is between the rear tire and a curb, or in my case, the garage door frame and the car.

I totally get why they have the current interface but this would be so much more useful if they let you make the repeater camera feed as large as the rear view camera. I love the idea of being able to swipe the rear view camera left or the right to see the left or right repeater video feed the in same size as the rear view camera.

Side-view camera shows the narrow gap between the garage door frame and the car. Also works great when the mirror tilts down to see space between the rear tire and a curb.View attachment 557978

This is what I'd love to see and this view comes courtesy of Dashcam Viewer and I love how it lets you switch between the rear camera or a repeater on the fly and whichever video feed selected is shown taking the full width of the display. This is what we really need for parking assistance camera view with the addition of the B Pillar cameras.

View attachment 557975

Unfortunately when the repeater camera video is made as small as it is now, look how you can barely confidently gauge the distance between the garage door frame and the car (or a curb a couple of inches from a rear wheel). This is not such an issue for those of you who drive in wide open spaces but those who have to deal with tight parking situations daily, a larger repeater camera view would make a big difference.

View attachment 557970 View attachment 557979

since the side cameras are located at the front... I think they should be shown above the rear camera which is located at the back of the car.

It’d be better if shown:
Up: Side cameras
Middle: Rear camera
Bottom: Park sensors UI

9-F8-E78-A5-44-AA-4042-9-EE4-65704-F3597-BA.jpg

or even better:
Top: side cameras
Middle: park sensors UI
Bottom: rear camera

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
I wish they would also calibrate the ultra sonic sensors to count down to 8 inches. I have less than 10 inches of clearance when I park in my garage, so the ultrasonic sensors are unfortunately not at all useful because they all just say "Stop" and I have no idea how far away I'm from a wall or the garage door frame.

Hopefully they will let us make the repeater camera views larger to help in tight parking situations.

Is there a reason why the ultrasonic sensors are not able to count down to 8 or 10 inches?

It sucks when they go from 12 inches to just screaming Stop!

If it at least went down to 10 inches that would be helpful. I thought they upgraded the ultrasonic sensors used by the time AP 2 or 2.5 came out.

I wish the ultrasonic sensors worked similar to the ground level height indication readings you get when you land a plan where the system counts down the distance in feet to ground level.

Would be awesome if after 15 inches, it would read out the distance in inches as an option.

"Fifteen"
"Fourteen"
"Twelve"

...and the number counted down to at least "ten."

They really should do whatever they can with software to make maneuvering a car as large a Model S a bit easier.

• Love