Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repeater Camera Parking View Too Small to be Useful - Should be similar to TeslaCam Viewer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow that's a really good point.

Anything we can do to ask them to let us see the ultrasonic distances down to 8 inches? This would be super useful for me every day.

Get blue check Twitter and tweet at Elon. They also show the ultrasonic field changing under a foot but, you are correct, UI just screams stop at 12 inches. Clearly designed to be less useful close up.

Get blue check Twitter and tweet at Elon. They also show the ultrasonic field changing under a foot but, you are correct, UI just screams stop at 12 inches. Clearly designed to be less useful close up.

Unfortunately I am a nobody with no blue checked Twitter account :(

I wish they'd do something to help those of us who have to handle narrow and tight parking/driving situations daily.

Summon lets you set the distance down to 8 inches and I wish the ultrasonic sensors would count down to 8 rather than give up after 12, when you need those sensors the most.

I've often wondered the same. Basically, as soon as you move with less than a foot clearence anywhere around the car, you are doing so blind. I can't believe the sensors can't discriminate under 12".

Yeah it sucks.

Whenever I pull into the parking garage at home, the ultrasonic sensors are absolutely useless and just scream STOP! I have less than 12 inches of clearance with the garage door frame and less than 12 inches clearance to the garage wall so I essentially pull up "blind" the whole way :(

So stressful. I would love for them to update the software so it counts down to 8 or at least 10 inches. Sometimes those extra 2-4 inches are when you need the ultrasonic sensors the most.

• Love
Reactions: beachmiles
I've often wondered the same. Basically, as soon as you move with less than a foot clearence anywhere around the car, you are doing so blind. I can't believe the sensors can't discriminate under 12".

My guess is they can't tell any closer than a foot without the sensors being closer together. Their field of view is only so wide. It might work when approaching a flat wall but they'd miss stuff sticking out, poles, overhangs, curbs, etc. and then get sued for the system not working if you hit something. So get within a foot and "stop" is all you get - you're now on your own for liability.

My guess is they can't tell any closer than a foot without the sensors being closer together. Their field of view is only so wide. It might work when approaching a flat wall but they'd miss stuff sticking out, poles, overhangs, curbs, etc. and then get sued for the system not working if you hit something. So get within a foot and "stop" is all you get - you're now on your own for liability.

Not really. They can get measurements at least up to 8 inches.

Look at your garage summon settings. They let you set the wall distance to 8 inches so they are confident enough to have a setting for the car to get as close as 8 inches to the wall in the summon software.

Would love for the software to actually show distances down to 8 inches.

Currently after 12 inches, it just screams STOP on the display with warning chimes going off just adding more stress when you have to maneuver into a tight garage. I really hope they do something with a software update to help maneuver in tight spaces. Unfortunately, I have to deal with such spaces daily.

Sorry if this has been mentioned earlier, I missed it. What are the hardware/software requirements for the repeater cameras to show up in the reverse view, and is this something that has to be enabled in settings or just shows up?

your 75D should be fine. You need 24.6 OS. Then when you back up, touch (or maybe swipe down) the "^" symbol that's in between your backup camera view and the surround view on your screen. The side cameras will pop up between those other two views. From then on they should come on each time you go into reverse.

• Informative
Reactions: whitex
your 75D should be fine. You need 24.6 OS. Then when you back up, touch (or maybe swipe down) the "^" symbol that's in between your backup camera view and the surround view on your screen. The side cameras will pop up between those other two views. From then on they should come on each time you go into reverse.
Thanks! I tried it on the 75 and it worked (I tried it before, but didn't think to click the "^"). I agree that it's hard to use this view to gauge distance on the side of the car. I think the main issue with it is that it doesn't show the edge of the car (at least on my car), more so than the size of the images.

Seems to me a simple upgrade would be to stitch the rear and two repeaters together, and have a single panoramic view occupying the whole screen, when in reverse.

when I say "simple", I do understand it is not literally simple to do. But there is some powerful image stitching software you can put on you phone. So maybe it's not impossible for Tesla.

Reactions: Magellan55
Thanks! I tried it on the 75 and it worked (I tried it before, but didn't think to click the "^"). I agree that it's hard to use this view to gauge distance on the side of the car. I think the main issue with it is that it doesn't show the edge of the car (at least on my car), more so than the size of the images.

The thing is when I need to really use the Repeater Camera views, I'm negotiating a tight space or curb with just a few inches so I really need to see the repeater view "full screen." The tiny thumbnail videos are not that useful.

Just wish you could simply click on one of the repeater thumbnail videos to make it larger and fill the entire width of the display like the rear view camera. Would be a very simply fix without needing any complicated processing.

A Tesla Cam Viewer type view would be ideal though so you can switch between any of the car's cameras and see a full screen width video of the selected camera.

Reactions: PhilDavid