Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repeater Camera's Unavailable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After having my car for about 2 weeks then with one of the recent updates. My left camera just stop working. Just made an appointment on the app. guy came to my house. popped it off, put on the new one and went on his way.

How long ago was that? It seems the repeaters are back-ordered now. Maybe yours was fixed early enough that they still had the parts?

How long ago was that? It seems the repeaters are back-ordered now. Maybe yours was fixed early enough that they still had the parts?

When i did mine it, A lot of people were reporting the same issue on reddit and a few on here. I would say it went out mid sept, left it messed up for a week or so before putting in the request then I believe they fixed it on the 5th of this month.

I took delivery on 9/28 and received the "Autopilot cameras unavailable" error on the drive home. I immediately made an appointment for 10/27 at the Springfield, NJ SC. I received timely emails telling me the camera was ordered and another telling me the camera was received. I brought the car in for service and received a loaner for the night. Repair was made and now the cameras all work as does AP.

UPDATE: Mine is still showing as backordered as of this morning, my appt is this Tuesday 11/3 so I'm just waiting on yet another text that pushes the date back a week or two:

=======

Additional parts have been ordered for servicing your car. We will send you updates twice a week until your service is completed.

Parts Outstanding

1. M3 LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA (LH)
Part #: 1495864-01-A
Order Date: October 23, 2020
Ship Date: Pending
==============

^The order date keeps changing as well the original order date was October 6th - still frustrating, just dang frustrating. At least my broken camera is working more and more often. #TeslaIsFrustrating.

My parts order showed both generations of the part, which appear to be identical. The dead one in my car says "Made in Korea" and is the 01-A version. The one that I bought on eBay is the 77-E (no country of origin). I suspect they ordered both in case either one was available somewhere. Since that one promise of bi-weekly updates, I haven't heard a thing.
Repeater - 1.jpeg

Thanks for the info. I'm still getting the weekly updates at least; except I did not receive my usual Friday morning "We've moved your appt text message so maybe it's arrived(ing) and they are still coming Tue.

Of course by then my Ebay cameras will be here so if those arrive first and the mobile service delays again, I'm going to swap out the Ebay camera with the broken one when Tesla shows up.

My broken one is a Made in Korea model as well.

Thanks for the info. I'm still getting the weekly updates at least; except I did not receive my usual Friday morning "We've moved your appt text message so maybe it's arrived(ing) and they are still coming Tue.

Of course by then my Ebay cameras will be here so if those arrive first and the mobile service delays again, I'm going to swap out the Ebay camera with the broken one when Tesla shows up.

My broken one is a Made in Korea model as well.
Out of curiosity, how much was the camera off ebay?

Out of curiosity, how much was the camera off ebay?

What I would call more reasonable ones are in the sub to low $100s, some are new some are salvage if memory serves. Some are >$150 and I didn't want to pay that much for one. I ended up getting one of each model number. Mostly because one is listed as "new" and I got paranoid that I might be buying a broken camera (Meaning so many seem to be bad how do I know this one isn't from that batch and the seller doesn't know it). The other reason I sprung for it was one of them was sub $100.00.

A few hints...

Look at all the pictures closely, some are damaged. Read the descriptions, return policy etc. some might have a broken plug etc. Most seem to be salvage or similar companies in California just as an FYI. Make sure you confirm the Part # and check if it is for Left or Right.

I just searched like this then shopped around: Model 3 repeater camera | eBay

I say "reasonable" based on how badly I want my Tesla to be fully operational, but the me behind the nice words is fuming that I'm even having to assist a fellow Tesla owner as to how I navigated Ebay to pay double/triple the price for warranty part for a brand new car.

#AreYouListeningTesla

Take care! :)

Last edited:
What I would call more reasonable ones are in the sub to low $100s, some are new some are salvage if memory serves. Some are >$150 and I didn't want to pay that much for one. I ended up getting one of each model number. Mostly because one is listed as "new" and I got paranoid that I might be buying a broken camera (Meaning so many seem to be bad how do I know this one isn't from that batch and the seller doesn't know it). The other reason I sprung for it was one of them was sub $100.00.

A few hints...

Look at all the pictures closely, some are damaged. Read the descriptions, return policy etc. some might have a broken plug etc. Most seem to be salvage or similar companies in California just as an FYI. Make sure you confirm the Part # and check if it is for Left or Right.

I say "reasonable" based on how badly I want my Tesla to be fully operational, but the me behind the nice words is fuming that I'm even having to assist a fellow Tesla owner as to how I navigated Ebay to pay double/triple the price for warranty part for a brand new car.

#AreYouListeningTesla

^^^^ All good advice here ^^^^

The repeater is a biotch to remove intact, that's why you'll see some on eBay with broken clips. Also, if you are removing yours, be very careful when your wrestle it out. The chrome trim on mine was sharp as a razor. I was confused when I suddenly saw blood dripping down my fender - it sliced two fingers on my guitar-playing fretting hand.

It's a roll of the dice with eBay vendors. They can't "test" the cameras. They are take offs from wrecks or maybe someone bought one and didn't need it. Unlike Audi/BMW/VW/MB, there are no third-party OEM suppliers. I miss those. Tesla's parts distribution is abysmal. The SC's don't keep anything in inventory. Suggestion to Elon: My car knew my repeater was bad, why didn't it make an appointment for me and order the part? That would be cool. Instead - The car knew it was bad. I knew it was bad, but I had to wait for an appointment for the SC to know it was bad. And THEN order the part, which I'm still waiting for.

Reactions: karbomusic

A few hints...

#AreYouListeningTesla

I hear you man! You should not have been dragged through the mud like this, especially as a new Tesla owner. Tesla needs to do better here. I have heard so many different experiences about new owners pointing out issues during the initial car inspections and the Tesla rep ensuring that the issues could be resolved quickly through the SC and then scenarios playing out just like yours where they had to wait months and months for those things to be fixed. I totally understand the frustration, and fully appreciate the time you have taken to make this post and help others to understand that there is a big issue here. Your experience could help many other owners take the DIY approach and come out much happier at the end vs. waiting for Tesla to properly address the problem.

Your experience could help many other owners take the DIY approach and come out much happier at the end vs. waiting for Tesla to properly address the problem.

Thanks for the kind words. Regarding DIY... Check YT videos for visuals of this...

You have to remove the two rivet clips behind the tire in the wheel well, and that's easier to access with the wheels turned fully to one side to make room. All that is needed is small screwdriver as if you look closely there is a indentation for just that which you pop the rivet clip open with then the come right out.

When you reach up in "there" behind the wheel well cover, there are 3 clips (I think) that are as DaveG_NJ mentioned, very fragile. You need to press each of those in towards the camera to release them. It's very easy to break one in the process but don't worry, the camera will still fit snugly enough even if one or two of those break - then you can gently push the camera out while working it.

There are two wired connections, the big one is not power for the camera, It's for the LED array that is the turn signal - found this out when removing the camera to see if I would get lucky and find something I could fix. The other is a ~2mm thick coax cable, that's the camera feed cable (assuming it goes to a canbus or something).

The way it attaches is also very fragile and mine was broken. However, as long as the coax makes a good snug fit on it's own, it's fine even when that clip assembly thingy is broken. You might check if the center "pin wire" of the coax on the camera side is intact. Mine was but it's a point of failure I've heard about.

I don't know if you need to formally "reboot" the car. All the times I've pulled that thing out and back in, works, doesn't work, works, works... the car has never complained but if a completely different camera, probably so since there is likely an ID for communication per device or something similar, spit-balling there but seems plausible.

• Informative
Reactions: TX_M3P+
I've had my M3P since 9/13 and I still don't have a working repeater camera on the left side of the car. Like clockwork my appt gets pushed back a week every Friday saying the parts haven't arrived. I'm fairly patient but this is becoming pretty frustrating to not be able to actually use the FSD I paid for and/or sentry being fully functional. It's been 5-6 weeks now with a new M3 that isn't fully functional, has anyone else seen this? What's even more frustrating is I made it very clear when I set the original appt on 9/14 (the day after picking up the car) to" please be aware to order a camera" which didn't get ordered until 10/6 and they are apparently now backordered?

I'm not finding an easy way to get traction here.
I have the same issue. Got my M3 at the end of Sept. Drivers side repeater camera does not work. Tesla service team ordered a replacement and booked a service appointment for the 19th of Oct. They sent me a text on Sunday evening, the 18th Oct, informing me that the part won’t be available. So annoying. They now say the part will be fitted on the 17th of November. Not much I can do but I share your frustration.

Update:

One of the eBay cameras arrived today but I'm not sure if that fixed the issue (it is not the made in Korea model like what came with the car). When I first plugged it in, it didn't work. Did two steering wheel reboots and one power off reboot and went for a drive. Still not working. I let the car to go sleep for an hour, came back out and it is working, however...

The broken camera was doing something similar, work for a day or two, stop working, work for a few hours, stop working. The only difference is the original camera never worked from 9/13 when I picked the car up until 10/23 when it suddenly began to intermittently work.

So at this point, I have no idea if my car is fixed or not.

Finally!

The eBay camera has continued to work. Tesla Mobile was scheduled to come out today so I removed the eBay camera last night and put the factory camera back in and it wasn't working (good sign that it really is the camera).

Tesla Mobile arrived promptly this morning, spent about 20 minutes and the replacement camera he installed appears to be working fine. He reset the camera calibration so I went for a 20 mile drive to calibrate and it completed successfully. So if it is still working come the weekend I can safely assume this issue is no more (because the bad one would intermittently work for a day or two).

I hate it took 7 weeks to fix the problem but at least it seems to be fixed now, yay - was the only thing I found wrong with the car since delivery so fingers crossed.

Celebratory pic of a fully functional M3P:

Tesla%20Delivery%20Day-20391-X3.jpg

Last edited: