Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replace 2 or 4 tires after flat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a dual motor (AWD) Model 3, busted one tire on a pothole. The rest are in good condition with plenty of tread depth.

I currently have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (all-season) tires but apparently these have been discontinued in the size I need (235/35 20). Everywhere online and every tire shop says to replace all four tires, but it seems like a waste and I can't tell if this is just a marketing ploy. The official Tesla website says to replace in matched pairs and move new ones to the back, but also says "When replacing tires, it is important to match the brand and model of the older tires." Since my current tires are discontinued, if I replace just a pair, I can't match the existing pair. In fact, the only available all-season tire that's not on backorder right now is a Hankook so it's an entirely different brand as well.

Normally I'd be inclined to just replace the matched pair as stated by Tesla, but the fact that I can't match the brand and model makes me nervous. Is it okay to have two different brand/model pairs of tires on front and back? Thanks for any advice/tips!

Reactions: AJ..
Tesla added a feature to the software a while back that will throw an error on your screen if the left and right side tires are of different diameters (like what happens when you replace just one tire with a new one). I've had pretty good luck buying a used tire of the same brand and type on eBay that has the same tread depth as the opposite side when I've had to replace just one. Pretty economical that way as well...

Reactions: AJ..
Upvote 0
I have been running different pairs (front and back) for over a year now on my Model 3 AWD. How long did you have your M3 AWD? The rear tires wear out about 2x faster than the front. Unless you are really vigilant on rotating your tires, it would be really wasteful to replace all 4 when only the rear ones worn out.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for the inputs! The car is 2018 but these are not the OEM tires, I replaced them with the current all-seasons in 2020. The rear tires definitely have plenty of tread left. From everyone's responses I think I'm definitely not doing all four, that part at least is clear. Will probably replace the matched pair and swap front/back as recommended by Tesla. Thank you all!

Upvote 0