Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replace 6-30 Outlet with 14-30 (without Neutral Connected)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
Now that I have a delivery date and VIN I started to look more serious at charging details at home.

I was not concerned, because I have 10-2 30amp Plug (3 wires) in the farthest corner of my Garage for a Heater I use once in a blue moon. It has a L6-30 (Locking 3 Pin Hot Hot Ground).

I saw the wide range of adapters and never thought twice I'd have an issue.

Turns out Tesla makes a 6-20 Adapter and 6-50 Adapter but for some dumb reason no 6-30 adapter.

They offer a 10-30 (which should be illegal because it's Hot Hot - Neutral with NO GROUND).
They offer a 14-30 (which is 10-3 (4 wires)) and is Hot Hot Neutral and Ground. But I have no Neutral.

Yes I know Neutral is the same as Ground but it is treated as a separate line. And you never pull current over a ground.

There is a company that makes a Tesla Adapter for 6-30 and L6-30 but both are out of stock.

I've seen lots of folks go through several adapters to get there which is costly and every connection adds more fault points.

So it's obvious the system doesn't need a Neutral since they have a 6-20 and 6-50 adapters (both are Hot Hot Ground - nothing needs 120V neutral).

Turns out my heater outlet is a little bit of stretch so I'm gonna daisy chain off it for a closer outlet for the car.

It is really bad to use a 6-50 outlet on a 10-2 wire (code wise) and if you use a 6-50 Tesla Adapter the car some how must know it can pull 80% of 50 Amps and overload the 30 amp circuit. There should be nothing -50 or -20 in the circuit path that is inherently 30 amps.

I was thinking of buying a 14-30 adapter from Tesla and cut the plug off and put a 6-30 plug. Which I think is what the 3rd party company did. But I don't know where in that adapter Tesla signals how much current to pull.

So then a lightbulb went off. All I need to do is install a 14-30 outlet and NOT connect neutral (Just Hot Hot and Ground).
That's all the 6-20 and 6-50 adapters could pass through.

This probably doesn't meet code, but wouldn't be dangerous. Anything that needed that functionality just wouldn't work very well.

My only concern is the Tesla might check if Neutral is there if it's supposed to be (even if it doesn't pull current on it).
I highly doubt it does.

So my plan is to daisy chain another outlet off my 6-30 outlet (with more 10-2 wire) put in a 14-30 Outlet and leave Neutral unconnected. And buy the Tesla 14-30 Adapter. This will be cheap, safe and just slightly grey code wise.

My main panel is only 100AMP and pretty darn full so I don't want to add another circuit.

Has anyone done this? Or know how these adapters work?

Last edited:
Turns out Tesla makes a 6-20 Adapter and 6-50 Adapter but for some dumb reason no 6-30 adapter.

Yeah, it would be nice if they made more official Tesla adapters. TT-30 would be a nice one for instance (120v by 30a).

They offer a 10-30 (which should be illegal because it's Hot Hot - Neutral with NO GROUND).
They offer a 14-30 (which is 10-3 (4 wires)) and is Hot Hot Neutral and Ground. But I have no Neutral.

I suspect 6-30 is just not a very common plug for charging use. Most folks charging off a 30a circuit are doing it because it is a dryer plug which is either 10-30 or 14-30. 6-30 is extremely uncommon.

There is a company that makes a Tesla Adapter for 6-30 and L6-30 but both are out of stock.

Hrm, yeah, these would be not bad ideas since they have the proper "resistor" in them to signal to the UMC to only draw 30a (well really 24a). They likely don't have the temperature sensor though that I think Tesla has in all their adapters in the end of the adapter to make sure the receptacle is not overheating. This is a safety feature (note that I have not torn one of these down to prove this, but I suspect it).

I've seen lots of folks go through several adapters to get there which is costly and every connection adds more fault points.

So yeah, you could easily build your own adapter (or have one made) that goes from L6-30 or 6-30 to 10-30 or 14-30. On the 10-30 Tesla adapter the Tesla uses the neutral line as the ground reference so that would totally be fine. It will *never* put current on that pin unless there is a fault and it is trying to blow the breaker.

So it's obvious the system doesn't need a Neutral since they have a 6-20 and 6-50 adapters (both are Hot Hot Ground - nothing needs 120V neutral).

Correct.

Turns out my heater outlet is a little bit of stretch so I'm gonna daisy chain off it for a closer outlet for the car.

Hrm, NEC says you are only supposed to have a single receptacle on a circuit for EV charging FWIW... Is there any way you can just run a brand new circuit and call it good? Where is your electrical panel?

It is really bad to use a 6-50 outlet on a 10-2 wire (code wise) and if you use a 6-50 Tesla Adapter the car some how must know it can pull 80% of 50 Amps and overload the 30 amp circuit. There should be nothing -50 or -20 in the circuit path that is inherently 30 amps.

So actually, you are allowed to put a 6-50 on that circuit as long as it is the only receptacle on the circuit. All NEC says is that the receptacle must be rated at least to the rating of the circuit. Now you also are supposed to size the circuit for the load, and when plugging in a UMC Gen 2 to a 6-50 receptacle then you have to plan for 32 amps of continuous load since that is what the UMC Gen 2 is rated for. Now you can manually turn the car down to 24 amps (to stay at 80% of 30a), but that is not recognized by code. So yeah, basically not a great idea for your situation.

It is however TOTALLY fine to put a 14-50 or a 6-50 on a 40a circuit and plug in a UMC Gen 2. Completely allowed, but I would always recommend wiring a 6-50 or 14-50 with a full 50a circuit if you are running a new circuit. That way you can support a future charger like the old UMC Gen 1 that can pull the full 40 amps.

I was thinking of buying a 14-30 adapter from Tesla and cut the plug off and put a 6-30 plug. Which I think is what the 3rd party company did. But I don't know where in that adapter Tesla signals how much current to pull.

Great question. Yeah, if I was going to go that route I would just buy one from EVSE Adapters since I would not want the science experiment of figuring it out myself.

So then a lightbulb went off. All I need to do is install a 14-30 outlet and NOT connect neutral (Just Hot Hot and Ground).
That's all the 6-20 and 6-50 adapters could pass through.

This probably doesn't meet code, but wouldn't be dangerous. Anything that needed that functionality just wouldn't work very well.

So this would totally work and ironically, probably be your safest option strictly for charging your Tesla. This would signal the proper charge limit to the car and it would retain the temperature sensing ability of the UMC Gen 2 adapter and it would have no un-needed adapters in the chain.

Where this is highly dangers is for anything else that might try plugging into that receptacle down the road. Having a "floating" neutral is extremely dangerous since 120v devices connected to it would have no return path for current unless there was another 120v device connected to the same receptacle but on the other phase leg. Basically in that case one device will likely see over 120v, and the other will see under 120v. Fires can start this way.

So if I was to do it that way (which I am not really recommending) I would label the crap out of that outlet saying "Danger: Neutral NOT connected - use for EV Charging Only". It would not be code compliant in any way, though for UMC Gen 2 use it would be completely safe.

My only concern is the Tesla might check if Neutral is there if it's supposed to be (even if it doesn't pull current on it).
I highly doubt it does.

Nope. That pin is completely ignored.

My main panel is only 100AMP and pretty darn full so I don't want to add another circuit.

Can you post pictures of this panel? We want to see the panel with the breaker handles (amperages) visible, and the panel schedule (what everything is), and the panel datasheet (usually a sticker on the door) that say what slots can do what, and a picture of the panel with the cover off (if you can do it safely) so we can see what the wiring looks like, and then a shot of the general area of the panel in relation to where you want to charge.

One question is if you can physically fit another breaker in, but the bigger one is likely the load calculations to see if you are allowed to. One option might be to install a new 14-30 receptacle for the car but put it on a transfer switch so you can only operate the car charger OR the heater at once. Or just put a 14-30 plug on the heater and unplug the car when you want to use the heater... Easy peasy...

Additionally, you could build a L6-30p to 14-30r or 10-30r adapter / extension cord. While this would too be dangerous in the wrong hands (make sure to label properly), it would not be a part of the building wiring (so no code inspector issues), it is less likely to be a danger to folks down the road who buy the house after you. This does defeat the temperature testing safety mechanism of the Tesla adapter to some degree, but it could also solve your distance to the receptacle issue.

You can go buy the parts at Home Depot probably. Just need some SOOW cord and the plug/receptacle for the ends.

Has anyone done this? Or know how these adapters work?

Oh and finally, the other thing I could recommend would be a Wall Connector. While kind of overkill, it could wire direct into this circuit and it does not need a neutral. It can be set to 30a (24a) with the internal rotary dial. This would also allow you to keep your UMC in the car with you at all times just in case.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and neroden
Wow thanks for all the info.

I had not thought about the UMC. Yes, I’d want to keep one in the car and not have to take it out every time I park in garage. What would a wall charger gain over a 2nd UMC?

I put the panel in and wired the garage. All inspected. Garage is actually not final inspected yet. I kind of stalled on installing environmentally sound insulation solution. So I’m avoiding making to much change in the panel. I doubt he’d notice if I dropped one more outlet on existing circuit on final inspection. With nothing plugged into it when final inspected.

I can take panel off later. You can see it’s pretty full. 200 amp seemed overkill at the time.

I could use the Surge Protector slot for another circuit. The surge protector can be doubled up on anything. But ideally it should not be on a GFI or Arc Fault breaker. As it might trip when it’s needed most. If I added another circuit I’d probably want GFI on it. Although I don’t think it’s required on the heater or EV?

43929716445_6468cefcb1_b_d.jpg

I’d like to reach either parking spot with minimal cord hanging about. Wall charger or plug between garage doors is tight because garage door tension cables.

I think I’ll go on the far wall near the window.

43929716415_6bb7416b75_b_d.jpg

Even if I could fit wall unit or outlet the charge cable has no good place to be. It’s hard to see but there are 2 tension cables here that move that are attached to door bottom. And they diagonally come away from the wall as you go up. Plus the safety beam sensors for garage doors.

43929716235_f22924b51a_b_d.jpg

This shows where current heater circuit is now. The heater L6-30 outlet is on the ceiling near the heater.

I didn’t know about the EV device must be exclusive. To meet code I could move heater outlet half way. And extend the cord on heater. And plug EV or Heater into it. In my mind that would be less safe. Tidy is safer than not. Long cord on EV is less safe too. So I might stretch code here. I could make a home run but it really seems overkill. I might use the heater 4 hours for some task a year (like unplanned repair on the snow blower) I normally keep the breaker off. I’ll keep it normally unplugged going forward.

43929716355_ef445c19b2_b_d.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: compu85
Please don’t install a 14-50 outlet without a properly sized neutral conductor. It’s very dangerous to do this. You may remember that you can only use it for EV charging, but what about you children or the person that you eventually sell the house to? Ask your building inspector if they’d approve such an installation.

Just buy NEMA 6-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3 Gen 2 (when they restock the item) and be done with it.

Please don’t install a 14-50 outlet without a properly sized neutral conductor. It’s very dangerous to do this. You may remember that you can only use it for EV charging, but what about you children or the person that you eventually sell the house to? Ask your building inspector if they’d approve such an installation.

Just buy NEMA 6-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3 Gen 2 (when they restock the item) and be done with it.

I’d just remove it when we sell, regardless because it violates code with two plugs any way. It’s no more dangerous than a 10-30 in my opinion. What does Tesla use for safety ground with a 10-30? Or buying a 3rd party adapter that someone cut off the plug and put on an unsupported one. That would risk a warranty issue. Or using a 6-50 and limit current in car. They are all hacks.

Who is gonna plug in a range or a clothes dryer in the garage? What would happen if Neutral was missing? Nothing, it wouldn’t run. I’m not connecting Neutral to ground. I’m leaving it unconnected. The appliance should not tie Neutral and ground together either. Any appliance would need to safely handle a neutral fault (open).

I agree it’s not ideal. Nor meet code. But I think it’s cleaner/safer than adapters, extension cords, 6-50 (limited), 10-30 (no safety ground) or 3rd party hacks.

Since I want to keep UMC in car I might go with wall charger.

Last edited:

I got one of these last month, works great. I had to turn the receptacle around so it faced into the garage instead of into the house. All in it cost me ~ $100. UMC automatically limits the draw to 24A and I average 21 miles of range per hour of charge. Don't get me wrong, it would be great to have a wall charger but $100 vs over $1000 for the wall charger was an easy choice.

What does Tesla use for safety ground with a 10-30?

The neutral is used as the ground in this case. This was considered a safe grounding method for large appliances until the 1996 (or was it 1999?) NEC. It's still allowed in older installations, but you're not allowed to install new NEMA 10 outlets anymore. The NEMA 14 standard superseded it, with separate neutral and ground connections.

Who is gonna plug in a range or a clothes dryer in the garage? What would happen if Neutral was missing? Nothing, it wouldn’t run. I’m not connecting Neutral to ground. I’m leaving it unconnected. The appliance should not tie Neutral and ground together either. Any appliance would need to safely handle a neutral fault (open).

You never know! 14-50 is also used by large RVs...maybe you have friends visit in their RV one day and they get a rude suprise when they try to plug in to the handy outlet they discovered in your garage.

I got one of these last month, works great. I had to turn the receptacle around so it faced into the garage instead of into the house. All in it cost me ~ $100. UMC automatically limits the draw to 24A and I average 21 miles of range per hour of charge. Don't get me wrong, it would be great to have a wall charger but $100 vs over $1000 for the wall charger was an easy choice.
Wall connector is $500.
I presume the $1000 figure included allowance for larger wiring, but let us be clear on that.

The neutral is used as the ground in this case. This was considered a safe grounding method for large appliances until the 1996 (or was it 1999?) NEC. It's still allowed in older installations, but you're not allowed to install new NEMA 10 outlets anymore. The NEMA 14 standard superseded it, with separate neutral and ground connections.

You never know! 14-50 is also used by large RVs...maybe you have friends visit in their RV one day and they get a rude suprise when they try to plug in to the handy outlet they discovered in your garage.

You got me there. That would be a valid use case and it’s not one integrated appliance. The smarts that Neutral is present may be non existent. And it could accidentally put load on ground if some place in the RV joined Neutral and ground.

The adapter from 6-30 to 14-50 is less safe in my opinion (that adapter in of itself is illegal). Someone could use it to power an RV or someone might forget to limit current on the charger. Granted all that should go wrong it popping the breaker. And you could label things EV Tesla only 30A (24A).

I did order the 14-30 Tesla adapter so I could just put a 6-30 plug on it. That would be safe and cheap (and fast). If I decide not to get wall charger.

Wow thanks for all the info.

I had not thought about the UMC. Yes, I’d want to keep one in the car and not have to take it out every time I park in garage. What would a wall charger gain over a 2nd UMC?

Wall Connector is permanently mounted so for outdoor installs is harder to steal.
Wall Connector can handle much more power (up to 80 amps on a 100a circuit)
Wall Connector is more aesthetically pleasing to me and it includes cable management built in
Wall Connector can be "tuned" by rotary dial to dial up or down the max current offered to the car in fine increments- very convenient in situations with limited service capacity or conductor capacity.

I put the panel in and wired the garage. All inspected. Garage is actually not final inspected yet. I kind of stalled on installing environmentally sound insulation solution. So I’m avoiding making to much change in the panel. I doubt he’d notice if I dropped one more outlet on existing circuit on final inspection. With nothing plugged into it when final inspected.

I can take panel off later. You can see it’s pretty full. 200 amp seemed overkill at the time.

I could use the Surge Protector slot for another circuit. The surge protector can be doubled up on anything. But ideally it should not be on a GFI or Arc Fault breaker. As it might trip when it’s needed most. If I added another circuit I’d probably want GFI on it. Although I don’t think it’s required on the heater or EV?

Hrm, wow, that is a very interesting panel. I have never seen that many AFCI's and GFCI's in a panel before. They have been requiring them in more and more places, however, I think you could have been allowed to skip some of those and use regular ones instead. You also probably have some dedicated circuits that really don't need to be dedicated so you could combine them if you needed to free up space. (like the router circuit - also, what is up with the dedicated TV circuits but that are looking like a 240v breaker?)

The reason I bring this up is that you likely are allowed to use "Tandem" (aka Cheater) breakers in some slots of that panel if you did not have AFCI/GFCI's. I don't think they make AFCI/GFCI units in the smaller form factor yet. I wonder if you have some candidates you could consolidate. The surge protecter is likely one of them you could consolidate. Though ironically, EV charging receptacles are required to have GFCI's (not AFCI's) which could not be tandem'd up. But if you install a Wall Connector you do NOT need GFCI or AFCI since it is hard wired and the Wall Connector provides GFCI protection itself.

The more I think about it, I highly recommend you go with a dedicated circuit just for your EV charging. It will be your highest draw device and on a brand new electrical service it makes no sense to me to skimp on that thing. Bummer that you only have a 100a service though... You might consider a Sense Energy monitor as well to keep tabs on how close you are coming to that 100a.

Oh, and if you do a Wall Connector and wire it up with say a 60a breaker on 6 AWG wire in conduit then if you need to tweak it down to say 30a (24a continuous) it is a simple rotary dial under the cover - no need to switch breaker or wire.

I’d like to reach either parking spot with minimal cord hanging about. Wall charger or plug between garage doors is tight because garage door tension cables.

I think I’ll go on the far wall near the window.

Agreed, that is a great location. Don't do it between the doors. Too much chance for damage and nowhere for the cord.

This shows where current heater circuit is now. The heater L6-30 outlet is on the ceiling near the heater.

I didn’t know about the EV device must be exclusive. To meet code I could move heater outlet half way. And extend the cord on heater. And plug EV or Heater into it. In my mind that would be less safe. Tidy is safer than not. Long cord on EV is less safe too. So I might stretch code here. I could make a home run but it really seems overkill. I might use the heater 4 hours for some task a year (like unplanned repair on the snow blower) I normally keep the breaker off. I’ll keep it normally unplugged going forward.

Yeah, if you really run into load calculation issues you could do something like install a manual transfer switch / interlock between the heater and the Wall Connector (or other wall receptacle for a UMC). I have seen someone do this with like a two position breaker panel with an interlock handle. That way you could say feed it with a 50a circuit even and then have a 30a breaker towards the heater and a 50a GFCI breaker (if you want to be code compliant) towards a 14-50r for a UMC (or just skip the GFCI breaker and do a regular breaker if you do the Wall Connector).

I’d just remove it when we sell, regardless because it violates code with two plugs any way. It’s no more dangerous than a 10-30 in my opinion. What does Tesla use for safety ground with a 10-30? Or buying a 3rd party adapter that someone cut off the plug and put on an unsupported one. That would risk a warranty issue. Or using a 6-50 and limit current in car. They are all hacks.

I agree it’s not ideal. Nor meet code. But I think it’s cleaner/safer than adapters, extension cords, 6-50 (limited), 10-30 (no safety ground) or 3rd party hacks.

Since I want to keep UMC in car I might go with wall charger.

So wiring up a 14-30 receptacle with no neutral connection is dangerous for anything other than an EV to connect with. Connecting the neutral and ground is also dangerous since someone could try to run current on the ground wire which is likely too small a gauge and not sufficiently insulated. It also creates a section point where neutral and ground are bonded in the house which is bad.

The Tesla I think is actually kind of OK on the 10-30 since it uses zero current on the neutral so instead it just uses the neutral wire as if it was a ground wire. Back at the panel, they are connected to the same place anyway (assuming it is not a sub panel, that gets slightly different). I do wonder though if Tesla ties the ground on the UMC all the way through to the chassis of the car when plugged in? Or is the charging system double insulated and not connected to the chassis at all? I could come up with a contrived scenario where you use a 10-30 adapter on the Tesla and it is connected to a circuit on a sub panel where the neutral on the sub panel comes loose and is not connected back to the service entrance panel which leaves a voltage differential between the neutral and actual ground, so your chassis of your Tesla could become "hot" relative to ground? Perhaps I need to test what is connected to what at some point with my multimeter...

Again, I am not a massive fan either of the 3rd party adapters for the UMC Gen 2 since I assume they don't have temp sensors in them? But yeah, that is a pretty clean / easy solution of less risk than other things.

To be clear though about the "what happens if neutral is connected to nothing" - it is INCORRECT to say the appliance would just not run. That is true if there is only one thing hooked to the neutral from a single phase leg (hot), but if there is more than one item hooked up via that plug and they are on opposite phase legs, then vastly wide voltage swings through device would occur. Like if someone plugged in an RV is the example (though that would typically be 14-50 not 14-30).

Frankly, I am kind of more of a fan of building a custom adapter + extension cord that does something goofy (like going from L6-30 to 10-30 or L6-30 to 14-30) and labeling it correctly than I am wiring a permanent receptacle wrong (even with clear labeling). The custom adapter solution is not an NEC issue and would be less likely to be passed on to the next home owner...

Note also that the Wall Connector just solves the "lack of neutral" issue. It just wants hot + hot + ground which you have. Maybe a simple transfer switch between your existing receptacle and a Wall Connector is the way to roll (and you can get the Wall Connector with the 24' cord in case you want to charge either vehicle or one outside the door).

Yeah, so to my comment above- I am dead curious if using the Tesla 10-30 adapter whether they tie that neutral line to the actual chassis of the car... I have a 10-30 adapter - I should go test! ;-) But again, to be clear, Tesla clearly uses the neutral wire as a stand in for a ground wire. In the scenario where the circuit goes back to the main service entrance panel and if there is nothing else on that circuit and the Tesla itself puts NO load on the neutral, then it is functionally equivalent or superior to a ground wire in every way, so the Tesla just uses it as a ground. No harm no foul and it lets Tesla's charge at your parents house where the only available receptacle is a 10-30!

You got me there. That would be a valid use case and it’s not one integrated appliance. The smarts that Neutral is present may be non existent. And it could accidentally put load on ground if some place in the RV joined Neutral and ground.

The adapter from 6-30 to 14-50 is less safe in my opinion (that adapter in of itself is illegal). Someone could use it to power an RV or someone might forget to limit current on the charger. Granted all that should go wrong it popping the breaker. And you could label things EV Tesla only 30A (24A).

I did order the 14-30 Tesla adapter so I could just put a 6-30 plug on it. That would be safe and cheap (and fast). If I decide not to get wall charger.

An RV should not have neutral and ground bonded together. RV's should always be wired to be sub-panels basically where neutral and ground are not bonded.

If I was to do an adapter I would either adapt L6-30 to 10-30 or to 14-30 (not 14-50). That at least will set the UMC to the right amperage for the circuit automatically. Either one is dangerous in different ways if used incorrectly, but perfectly safe for EV use (other than the comments about additional links in the circuit and extension cords = bad). I have never seen a RV with a 14-30 FWIW, so unlikely to get abused in that way. Dryers are the most common use for 10-30 and 14-30 in the US.

That is correct. I thought it was a fair comparison as the $100 included everything I needed to be able to plug the car in as well.

FWIW, when comparing buying a second UMC against buying a Wall Connector I think they are very nearly a wash for the following reasons: ($300 base cost vs $500 base cost)
  1. If you do a Wall Connector you avoid needing a GFCI breaker which is about a $100 cost adder over a non GFCI breaker
  2. You can wire both with the same gauge wire so no cost delta there (you don't HAVE to do bigger wire for a Wall Connector unless you want to get the higher speed).
  3. You don't need a neutral wire with the Wall Connector - this saves wire cost and conduit cost perhaps.
  4. A Wall Connector has a built in wire manager so you don't need to buy something else to hold the cable
  5. In this case, with the UMC option on a 30a circuit you would need a $35 adapter to use it properly. The Wall Connector supports this natively via a rotary dial.
So this in addition to the other benefits make it a decently clear win to me.

@eprosenx

I liked the way the AFCI wired in (every breaker has Hot and Neutral to Breaker) and they actually found a fault where it wasn't required.
I have not had any false tripping either.

That panel also has a huge power monitor for the solar inside.

I'm not concerned about the heater and EV on the same circuit. I've used it twice in 4 years. And will leave it unplugged.
If I was concerned I'd put an extension cord on it and plug in where EV plugs in.
I know, I know it won't meet code. But less extension cords are safer.
Another home run is painful for numerous reasons.

Many of the 3rd party adapters sold wouldn't meet UL approval either.

Yes, a (L)6-30 to 14-30 is an option (an illegal adapter).
Having that (illegal) adapter be mis-used and cause the same problems you discussed is just as dangerous and putting a 14-30 in the box (fed by 10-2).
I could cut the Neutral Pin off the Tesla Adapter and fill the Neutral Slot with epoxy ;)

Which is worse, an illegal adapter that could get passed around (some day) or an illegal outlet attached to my house?

Where is the Temp Sensor? If I put a 6-30 plug on a Tesla 14-30 Adapter would I lose the Temp or Current Resistor?
I assume both are in the end that plugs into the UMC. This is the safest (and legal) solution besides the Tesla Wall Connector.

The Wall Connector is a little bulky protruding out from the wall. It's not the most roomy garage.

@eprosenx
Many of the 3rd party adapters sold wouldn't meet UL approval either.

Yeah, I am pretty positive that none of the 3rd party ones are UL listed.

@eprosenx
Yes, a (L)6-30 to 14-30 is an option (an illegal adapter).
Having that (illegal) adapter be mis-used and cause the same problems you discussed is just as dangerous and putting a 14-30 in the box (fed by 10-2).
I could cut the Neutral Pin off the Tesla Adapter and fill the Neutral Slot with epoxy ;)

Which is worse, an illegal adapter that could get passed around (some day) or an illegal outlet attached to my house?

Hah, I love how you think. Yeah, it is a good question: Which is less dangerous? Something hardwired wrong or a dangerous adapter? I personally would prefer the dangerous adapter rather than hard wiring. Easy to throw away the bad adapter rather than having to re-wire.

I especially like the idea of epoxy'ing the neutral slot - that is a novel approach! ;-) Though I think sufficient labeling of the danger would be OK.

@eprosenx
Where is the Temp Sensor? If I put a 6-30 plug on a Tesla 14-30 Adapter would I lose the Temp or Current Resistor?
I assume both are in the end that plugs into the UMC. This is the safest (and legal) solution besides the Tesla Wall Connector.

The Wall Connector is a little bulky protruding out from the wall. It's not the most roomy garage.

I don't know where the temp sensor is exactly, but we have seen reports that the UMC says the receptacle is too hot, so it must be up at the wall plug end. I do wonder how the 3rd party folks deal with it. Do they avoid damaging it? Do they replace it?

I assume the resistor to indicate current is likely down in the end that shoves into the UMC. No reason to run a wire to the far end of the adapter just for a resistor that can go anywhere.

If you don't put the top feed adapter on the Wall Connector it does not stick out too far... ;-)

Let us know what you decide and come up with! (Pictures!) Sounds like you have a good handle on it!

You could certainly make a temporary adapter if needed while you wait for the adapter from the vendor just in case your car shows up first.

If you don't want to go for a Wall Connector, EVSEadapters has a plug for L6-30 direct to Mobile Connector Gen 2.

l6-20-to-tesla-gen2_2e9082f8-197e-48ce-a3dc-bd8d29c046b2_1024x1024.jpg

Tesla Model S / X / 3 Gen 2 Charging Adapters

Looking at the pictures above, I would move the L6-30 outlet to a standard outlet height of 48" above the finished floor somewhere near the front of the car. Then get a L6-30 extension for the heater so it can plug into the new outlet location. Then mount or provide a small shelf for the Mobile connector so it can plug in without stress on the cable. Run the vehicle connector cable from the "box" portion of the Mobile connector along the wall to the rear of the car near the charge port and mount a hose hanger or actual Tesla cable hanger to stow the vehicle plug end of the cable.

1022771-00-A_0.jpg

You could certainly make a temporary adapter if needed while you wait for the adapter from the vendor just in case your car shows up first.

I wouldn’t want to chance not having that temp sensor. So let’s say I get a 6-30 to 14-30 adapter to keep it. And use an unmodified Tesla 14-30 UMC adapter. Problem solved, right?

Not quite. The Temp sensor would make sense to be in the plug (lowest current handling connection point). But now you introduced another plug that has no temp sensor either by adding the 6-30 to 14-30 adapter.

People often think in “check marks”. I now have an official Tesla Temp Sensor. But if you look at the entire setup it’s no better than no temp sensor and not only that you added another failure point. They also have no idea the adapters they are buying are illegal and not UL approved. Just because someone sells it, it’s ok. My suggestion of a 14-30 outlet is no worse and in many ways better.

This is high current stuff and worth thinking about.

So the “illegal” 14-30 outlet (on 10-2) would “functionally” be the safest. Ignoring improper use.

So I think the safest and only completely legal solution for a 10-2 circuit is the wall connection. Next “best” solution I think is the 14-30 outlet (it so happens to be the cheapest and most compact). But it’s definitely not legal.

I like how you think too. I really appreciate the discussion. It’s been fun. Also nice seeing folks not get nasty over a good discussion.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t want to chance not having that temp sensor. So let’s say I get a 6-30 to 14-30 adapter to keep it. And use an unmodified Tesla 14-30 UMC adapter. Problem solved, right?

Not quite. The Temp sensor would make sense to be in the plug (lowest current handling connection point). But now you introduced another plug that has no temp sensor either by adding the 6-30 to 14-30 adapter.

People often think in “check marks”. I now have an official Tesla Temp Sensor. But if you look at the entire setup it’s no better than no temp sensor and not only that you added another failure point. They also have no idea the adapters they are buying are illegal and not UL approved. Just because someone sells it, it’s ok. My suggestion of a 14-30 outlet is no worse and in many ways better.

This is high current stuff and worth thinking about.

So the “illegal” 14-30 outlet (on 10-2) would “functionally” be the safest. Ignoring improper use.

So I think the safest and only completely legal solution for a 10-2 circuit is the wall connection. Next “best” solution I think is the 14-30 outlet (it so happens to be the cheapest and most compact). But it’s definitely not legal.

I like how you think too. I really appreciate the discussion. It’s been fun. Also nice seeing folks not get nasty over a good discussion.

Yup!

The other thing folks don’t take into consideration a lot of the time is that not only is this the highest amperage drawing device in the house (often), it is also operated for many hours on end (especially in this situation when we only have 24 amps to work with vs. my 48 amps - mine will run less than half the time than yours for the same mileage), AND (which I think is most important), unlike an oven, a car charger generally runs at night when people are sleeping. If it causes a fire then this is the worst time of day from a danger standpoint. Ovens are generally attended when running so you might be able to do something about it or at least evacuate rapidly.

Alternatively, if you're going to go with a Wall Connector, you could do a hard wire install and use a transfer switch (double throw safety switch) to select between the heater and the Wall Connector. This is the most expensive way, but the most "professional".

eaton-safety-switches-dt223urh-n-64_400_compressed.jpg

Eaton 100 Amp 120/240-Volt 24,000-Watt Non-Fused General-Duty Double-Throw Safety Switch-DT223URH-N - The Home Depot

Good suggestion

I think this would be more appropriate though.

Leviton 30 Amp Industrial Grade Heavy Duty Double-Pole Double-Throw Center-Off Momentary Contact Toggle Switch, Brown-1262 - The Home Depot

By the way, I would bet the rule of the EV shall be in “dedicated” circuit would still be technically broken. Even with the switch.

• Helpful
Reactions: 9-Volt