Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replace bumper cover vs fix dent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Trevor B

Apr 2, 2016
USA
Somebody bumped into my car in the parking garage (looks like they forgot the car was in Drive, instead of Reverse). The damage is minimal, just a dent and some scrapes. I got quotes from Tesla and a very reputed local body shop (know them from before, they are also Tesla certified).

Tesla is proposing to swap out the bumper cover while the body shop will fix the dent and repaint the damaged areas. I'm a bit hesitant to go the swap route as there's a chance that the color may not exactly match (from some of the reports I've read here).

Am I paranoid? The cost is in the same ballpark (less labor to replace, but offset by the replacement cost vs more labor to fix and paint).

My front bumper cover was replaced at delivery due to minor damage. They had some already painted and ready to go. Took less than an hour. Way faster and easier than painting. I cannot tell there is any color difference and I suspect that might not be the case if you actually had it repaired and painted.

Concur with the wrap comment. Get some PPF on it immediately and you won't get rock chips/minor scuffs in the future. Do it while the cover is perfectly clean, don't wait.