TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

replace key and fob

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by utch, Feb 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. utch

utch Member

My roadster only came with one key. The SC doesn't seem to be able to find the proper replacement. Any ideas about replacing the FOB or is Tesla the only option? Cutting the key is easy, I'm not sure about programming the IMMO....

2. ViviV

ViviV Member

• Like x 1
  3. utch

utch Member

would you have Tesla parts number(s)? My SC can't seem to find it in current inventory.

4. ViviV

ViviV Member

@utch. Hope the info in the image from the receipt below is helpful. key service.jpg

Welcome to the Roadster family. My Roadster is very close in VIN# to yours and is also Thunder Grey. Enjoy.

• Informative x 1
  5. utch

utch Member

Thanks! I'll swing it by the SC to see if it helps them.

6. utch

utch Member

To close the loop on this: the SC ordered two fobs for $200.
    It was $30 to program them. The blank was $30 and I had it
    cut for $5.

7. plundy

plundy Member

20180814_080217.jpg
    I just had two new key fobs programmed by the Seattle Service Center. It took one week to have them delivered to the shop. The 10 year old ones were pretty much toast. The total cost, with tax, was $101.88. It is SO nice to have new ones.

• Like x 1
  8. Logticom

Logticom Roadster Sport EU #243

Sounds good! The keys here in The Netherlands (Europe?) look different.

9. gregd

gregd Active Member

No, your key looks just like mine (USA 2.0 model), but with a different lock pattern :). You might want to obscure that part of the picture...

Not sure of the pedigree of plundy's pictures.

10. Curt

Curt Roadster Signature #55

Simple - @plundy has a 1.5, while @Logticom and @gregd have 2.x. The keys changed quite radically with 2.0.

• Informative x 1
  11. djf

djf Member

Good to know! These look exactly like my 1.5 keys. Do you have the part # for the key fob and the key blank? Thx.

12. plundy

plundy Member

RKE Kit, 434 MHz, Roadster (6000581) 67.53 each. Refer to the attached PDF.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  13. ernst

ernst 't is een grijze.

I have for my 1.5 a spare key from my old key set. I got a new receiver and 2 new keys from tesla after a mishap at the SC with a key breaking while in the shop. All good only lost on of the keys now and thought of learning the old key to the new receiver. Tried to learn the key as described in the service manual by plugging the wires from the antenna under the steering wheel together and waiting for the beep etc only nothing is happening. What im I missing, anybody any experience with the 1.5 transponders? The hardware it self was not that expensive as I remember hearing the price only labor is that makes it expensive to replace the hole set again.

14. jfischer

jfischer Member

I just had mine replaced by the Houston North SC without any problems. I got 2 and they programmed them there. I couldn't figure out a way to get them programmed myself. Here is the part numbers and what was charged on 5/28/2018. You need BOTH the RKE keyfob and the die cut set for keys to go in the keyfob.

Part Quantity Unit Price
    Transmitter,RKE systm,434 MHz,Rdstr2(6003342) 2 58.98 117.96
    KEY CUT SET, R2 (2005581) 2 31.15 62.30
    Total Parts 180.26

Hope this helps!

• Informative x 1
  15. coolVariable

coolVariable Member

Just went to a locksmith to get some non-remote replacement keys.
    Working perfectly. Just in case anyone ever needs the info, but the key blank for the Tesla Roadster 1.5 is "Ilco x168" or "Ilco B61" (the second one is apparently the "GM key blank name". I read that a HF59 key blank may also work.

• Informative x 1