Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replace number plates???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already have the holder which is screwed on so stickon is too late :(

--------------------

Don't imagine that'd be a problem, as the holes should be inside the intended outline of the new plate. You could probably put the stick pads over the holes anyway and then attach the plate.

Reactions: Fellsteruk
Old thread, sorry, but I'm going through the same processs. On mine, using a thin flat metal or plastic tool, like a dinner knife,g you to gently prise the frame up by the clips on the top and sides to pop the plate out.

I saved my plates from the old car but the holders on the Tesla won't take them because they are too thick. The original Tesla plates are surprisingly thin.

I will probably ask Tesla to print some for me, though a new holder might be cheaper - but I like how it says all-wheel-drive :D

I effed up on trying to fix my cherished plate, so I phoned the SC (Birmingham) and they were excellent - fitted them for free and fixed the slight breakage I had caused. When I had to get new ones fitted for MOT last November (extremely minor letter spacing issue!!!) I phoned again and it was done in about 20 minutes - once again no charge.

Reactions: dst87 and vitesse
I'd had standard thickness plates made up before I found this thread but then found my way here when I was having the same difficulty everyone else reports.

The front plate fitted just about and without risking any tabs on the mount. Just had to be careful.

The back "All-Wheel Drive" holder just needed a slight adjustment. It is easier to do if you unscrew it (two screws revealed when the old plate is removed) but can be done in-situ. With no plate in the holder, you can see there are a series of very thin plastic vertical struts that push the plate outwards. I just used wirecutters to remove the short ones next to the tabs. I couldn't see any real risk as it still left the long plastic struts if I'd found I needed to get a thin plate afterall.

Both plates now fit perfectly in the standard Tesla holders.

Old thread, sorry, but I'm going through the same processs. On mine, using a thin flat metal or plastic tool, like a dinner knife,g you to gently prise the frame up by the clips on the top and sides to pop the plate out.

I saved my plates from the old car but the holders on the Tesla won't take them because they are too thick. The original Tesla plates are surprisingly thin.

I will probably ask Tesla to print some for me, though a new holder might be cheaper - but I like how it says all-wheel-drive :D

I forgot to follow-up - my Tesla service centre printed my plates for free :) Bear in mind we bought our Tesla from them (used CPO) but a nice gesture of course.