Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replace power strut liftgate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

the automatic tailgate broke on my 2013 P85. The latch was still working fine.
I replaced the power strut with a new one I got directly from Tesla. To replace the strut is pretty straight forward and is done in a few minutes. Unfortunately it's not working correctly.
It opens only half way and can't be close by the button. Also the latch doesn't work and it doesn't make the beep anymore.

Is it possible there is an error code in a control unit because I unplugged the strut? How to delete it?

If there there isn't any error code I must have disconnected something... But I really can't see anything.

Actually I did miss to reconnect one plug. The latch and beeper is working again but the tailgate still opens only half the way. If I manually open it all the way I can’t reprogram it. There is no long beep when I push the button while the tailgate is open over 50%. Below it’s working.

Actually I did miss to reconnect one plug. The latch and beeper is working again but the tailgate still opens only half the way. If I manually open it all the way I can’t reprogram it. There is no long beep when I push the button while the tailgate is open over 50%. Below it’s working.
Following. I have the same exact issue using a new Liftgate Strut. Before new strut could program and lift all the way. After new strut it only lifts 50% and if you lift higher to set it does the beep beep beep when you hold the button to set height. I had a Tesla tech out today getting a new key look at it and his answer was to do a ticket with support and see if they can remote in for it to check for issues. I would like to see what we hear here first. I have a 2014 Tesla Model S P85 that came with automatic liftgate. I only changed the 2 struts and nothing else as well.

I guess the controller think the strut is too old and wants to protect it. There the controller need a reset. I found something similar with Ford vehicles. They suggested to unplug the 12v battery over night. I didn't want to unplug the 12v battery but I unplug both connectors on the tailgate controller. Unfortunately it didn't help. Please let me know if you have any new informations.

I guess the controller think the strut is too old and wants to protect it. There the controller need a reset. I found something similar with Ford vehicles. They suggested to unplug the 12v battery over night. I didn't want to unplug the 12v battery but I unplug both connectors on the tailgate controller. Unfortunately it didn't help. Please let me know if you have any new informations.

Mine was manufactured in 2018 car is a 2014. so it’s newer then the one I pulled out. It’s the new part number that Tesla was going to replace with but I bought on my own. Old one was rusted but still worked perfectly. Hopefully someone else can chime in and see what the issue is. Glad to see it’s not just isolated to me.

Pic of replacement OEM lift strut.

Attachments

• A6FB6B9F-B893-4467-B334-6B17336C94F6.jpeg
    A6FB6B9F-B893-4467-B334-6B17336C94F6.jpeg
    432.7 KB · Views: 365
Need a mobile ranger with Toolbox to reset the control unit. I had the struts replaced under warranty and the same thing happened. I could get it open higher and remember the setting IF I only increased the height an inch or two at a time. Max I could get it to remember was probably 75% open. Still not enough so I asked for a Ranger to come out. He ack’d the issue and after calling the SC for advice, he was able to reset the control module and set the memory to full open.

• Informative
Reactions: Diamond Hills
Need a mobile ranger with Toolbox to reset the control unit. I had the struts replaced under warranty and the same thing happened. I could get it open higher and remember the setting IF I only increased the height an inch or two at a time. Max I could get it to remember was probably 75% open. Still not enough so I asked for a Ranger to come out. He ack’d the issue and after calling the SC for advice, he was able to reset the control module and set the memory to full open.
Thanks I will try that. Funny part is I had one come out to replace a key and he messed with it but I guess he didn’t reset the control module. I’ll reach out and see what they say.

I just had my failed liftgate power strut replaced on my 2013 Model S by Tesla Mobile Service today. He said he would have been done sooner but it only opened half-way. He said that since the replacement part is a newer revision, he had to access the car's system to re-program and recognize the part so that it can open all the way. Total cost was $182 for just the right power strut...left side was fine.

Last edited:
I just had my failed liftgate power strut replaced on my 2013 Model S by Tesla Mobile Service today. He
said he would have been done sooner but it only opened half-way. He said that since the replacement part is a newer revision, he had to access the car's system to re-program and recognize the part so that it can open all the way. Total cost was $182 for just the right power strut...left side was fine.

Had a similar issue with our 2017 MS. Strut replaced at the SC, but then it wouldn't open to any other than a low position, and would never memorize a new Open height setting.

Plano SC had installed a new lift strut, but failed to program the unit . . . but Mobile Service eventually came out to the house to do it.

It would have been far better for the Plano Service Center to have just done the job right the first time, but such is Tesla Service; not always great.

Just ran into the same issue. Replaced the struts but now unable to open all the way.

Pretty frustrating.

Yes, and for likely exactly the same reason.

Send a request for mobile service to finish the job and that should take care of it.

So much more work for Tesla, and owners/customers, when the first tech doesn't do his/her job right in the first place, a lose-lose outcome.