Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replace SAS with Coils?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course it can, but I'm sure new parts from Tesla won't be that cheap.

I'm sure you're correct about that. The question is how the price of replacing with coil springs would compare to the cost of repairing a major SAS failure. At 40k miles/year, I'm hoping the car will last me 250k miles/6 years. I just sold my pre-autopilot 85s to be replaced with a newer model and have so far limited my search for a replacement to cars without SAS as I've read and heard that they almost all require expensive repairs around 100k miles. For me, that could be more than one expensive repair by the time I get to 250k miles. If I could replace the system with coils in the event of a needed major repair to the SAS for around the same price, I could then consider purchasing a car with SAS which would greatly expand the selection of available cars.

I believe @lolachampcar changes his P85+ to aftermarket coils. You may want to reach out to him and see. There may even be a thread on it already if you a couple search terms that avoid the whole coil vs. air conversations.