Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replace "toy car key"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to replace my 2018 "toy car key" with a credit card style key like the 2021 Model Y uses.
Is this possible? Anybody done it? How much did it cost?
- Jim in Burlington, Wa.

I think only newer Tesla cars: Model 3, Model Y (all years) and 2021 Model S and X would be key-card compatible.

I don't think Tesla would retrofit your older cars for key-card compatibility. As for the cost, the only retrofit that Tesla wants is for you to buy a whole new car.

I think only newer Tesla cars: Model 3, Model Y (all years) and 2021 Model S and X would be key-card compatible.

I don't think Tesla would retrofit your older cars for key-card compatibility. As for the cost, the only retrofit that Tesla wants is for you to buy a whole new car.
I see you have the 2017 Model X. So are you always taking that funky little model car key with you whenever you use your X? I find it 'limiting' since it is big compared to a card style. I think they both operate on the same RFID technology so it -should- be possible to use a card style key.

Second problem - even though I've paired my iPhone (properly?) and it allows me to unlock, get in, use console touchscreen, turn air on/off, etc. it still says "key not in car, can not drive" (sic). Is this normal? I thought once you had your phone activated you could use it for the key and the key was not required.
(Yes, I have location services always on my iPhone.)
- Jim in Burlington, Wa.

I see you have the 2017 Model X. So are you always taking that funky little model car key with you whenever you use your X? I find it 'limiting' since it is big compared to a card style. I think they both operate on the same RFID technology so it -should- be possible to use a card style key.

Second problem - even though I've paired my iPhone (properly?) and it allows me to unlock, get in, use console touchscreen, turn air on/off, etc. it still says "key not in car, can not drive" (sic). Is this normal? I thought once you had your phone activated you could use it for the key and the key was not required.
(Yes, I have location services always on my iPhone.)
- Jim in Burlington, Wa.
I don't think they operate on the same technology, if for no other reason that the fob (<--- it's not called a "little toy car") needs a battery and the key cards are passive. Apparently carrying around the fob is onerous to you. It's not to everybody. (shrug)

If you want to start up a Model S/X (pre-2021) with the Tesla app, you need access the Controls screen, then touch "Start". Note also that both your phone and your car need to have Internet access for this to work. This can be an issue if you or your car are in an underground parking garage or some other place with poor connectivity.

Anyway, bottom line, there's no retrofit for older Model S/X to use the keycard or "phone as key". It'd be nice if that weren't so, but that's the way things are.

2021 and later Model S come with both fobs and keycards, and (modulo a bug which might fixed by now) the "phone as key". There aren't any 2021 Model X in the wild, but it's a reasonable assumption that they'd work the same.

Bruce.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: aesculus
...funky little model car key with you whenever you use your X...
Yes.

I've experienced key-card with my Model 3 but I bought a fob for it because I've found the fob is more inconvenient.

With my Model S, X, and 3, I've just had their fobs on my house key chain and I don't have to think about them. There's no need to troubleshoot with the iPhone either.

Reactions: jboy210
The fob operatives on Bluetooth LE. It has its own battery and will let you open and close the door from a long (100 meter) range if you want. Or the car can open the doors automatically as you approach.

Since from your other thread you are new to this car, you might want to consider replacing the battery in the fobs. It is a CR 2354 which is not commonly available in grocery stores. And of course, like any battery will die at the most inconvenient time. You can buy the battery and replace it yourself or have Tesla replace the battery. If the battery does die there is a procedure in the manual that shows how to position the key with a dead battery in specific places to get into and then drive the car.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot