Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replace TPMS sensors yourself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
After almost 5 years my tire pressure sensors need to be replaced. Their batteries are fading. I found replacements that, according to the seller, work on my Model S (2014). Has anyone replaced them themselves or do they have to be programmed at the service center?

Gen2 don’t have to be programmed at the service center. Car will quickly learn them.

How are you going to unseat the tires to replace them? Pretty hard DIY job...

Thanks! I'll give it a try. I don't plan on actually doing it myself but my local tire shop where I have been going to for the last three years. I have had them swap rims and tires several times.

Hi David - I just got my first warning this morning that my TPMS need to be checked on my '13S. I was thinking it might be batteries as well. How did you verify that that was your problem? Can you share your TPMS source for the replacements?

Thanks in advance,
Seth

David, didn't they switch the type of TPMS sensor in the middle of 2014? Gen 1's give no status on the IC, Gen 2's will show a per wheel pressure. I can tell you for sure that neither need to be programed, I've swapped both of them over to new ones by hand, breaking that bead is a real PITA! -- Peter

• Love
Reactions: David99
Think you are asking the other David, but do be careful. A 2013 Model S would have the Gen 1 sensors (doesn’t show per wheel tire pressure) and not the VDO version discussed above. If you are still under warranty, get Tesla to check them.

Some older cars were retrofitted. If the old system fails, people have reported that Tesla will transition to the newer system under warranty.

Mine is the old system that doesn't show individual tire pressure. I'm not 100% sure it's the batteries, but three facts make it very probable that it's low batteries in the sensors. #1 when I had different rims on my car without sensors I got the same error. #2 my car is at the age that is considered the lifetime for those sensor batteries. #3 the error shows up when it's cold and disappears when it's warmer. That's a typical behavior for a low battery not being able to provide enough power when it's cold but barely enough when it's warm.

I ordered 4 new ones for $110 incl shipping. I'll report back when I installed them.

How do you know for sure its the batteries besides the lifetime? The wireless receiver is also known to go bad, and that throws a "all four are bad" intermittently type of error. Just something else to consider... I have the old system like you in a 2013 and I had that issue, where I replaced 2 TPMS and realized it was weak signal from the sensor array

good luck! :)

How do you know for sure its the batteries besides the lifetime? The wireless receiver is also known to go bad, and that throws a "all four are bad" intermittently type of error. Just something else to consider... I have the old system like you in a 2013 and I had that issue, where I replaced 2 TPMS and realized it was weak signal from the sensor array

good luck! :)

I don't know for sure. I will post here once I have got them and swapped them out. Fingers crossed! :)

I'm in the same boat, 2013 Model S P85. Can you tell me what & where you bought your replacement TPMS sensors? I recently replaced my 4 tires with Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ at America's Tire, they just scanned the tires and 3 of 4 TPMS sensors are now dead. Replacements in their system are $60each, they told me that as an existing customer with a recent purchase they'd replace the TPMS sensors for $10/tire labor and if I brought in new sensors purchased online, they'd just charge the labor. Does anyone know if I can purchase the Gen2 online and have Tesla upgrade the control unit to see the individual pressures?

Does anyone know if I can purchase the Gen2 online and have Tesla upgrade the control unit to see the individual pressures?

They do this, think it’s both the sensors in the wheel wells and the control unit. You’d have to ask your service center. I’d just tell them you already have gen2 sensors in the wheels and want a price on upgrading the car.

I'm in the same boat, 2013 Model S P85. Can you tell me what & where you bought your replacement TPMS sensors? I recently replaced my 4 tires with Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ at America's Tire, they just scanned the tires and 3 of 4 TPMS sensors are now dead. Replacements in their system are $60each, they told me that as an existing customer with a recent purchase they'd replace the TPMS sensors for $10/tire labor and if I brought in new sensors purchased online, they'd just charge the labor. Does anyone know if I can purchase the Gen2 online and have Tesla upgrade the control unit to see the individual pressures?
I just stopped by DT to see if they had gen 2 in stock, they didn't....he suggested I get them myself if I could, so I did...
This is what I am getting from amazon...
Screenshot_20190105-195159_Amazon Shopping.jpg

So I purchased a set of 4 Gen 1 Baolong TPMS sensors online from a parts supplier, who confirmed they were explicitly for my 2013 P85. Had them installed at America's Tire for $10/wheel and all went well for 24 hours, then started getting the same "tire pressure monitoring system error, contact Tesla Service" message. I have used the center console to reset the sensors several times and driven at highway speeds as directed; each time it fails. Then the warning went away for about 10 miles and returned. I swung back to America's Tire and they scanned the wheels and their scanner confirmed that the newly-installed sensors put out a good signal and are the correct frequency and model for a 2013 Model S. Why am I getting this intermittent failure? Will I need to go to back to Tesla Service to have them replace the TPMS receiver/computer? Any suggestions for troubleshooting?

Just occurred to me that I started having TPMS problems around the same time as I began to have the 'spinning maps' problem - I wonder if they are related, i.e., are the compass sensor and TPMS receiver on the same bus?

Just occurred to me that I started having TPMS problems around the same time as I began to have the 'spinning maps' problem - I wonder if they are related, i.e., are the compass sensor and TPMS receiver on the same bus?

First guess is a receiver or the TPMS cpu is going bad, which Tesla will upgrade to gen 2 if you’re still under warranty, but this comment suggest something else- a bad ground or source of EMI that is messing up both sensors

GEN 1 have to be programmed by tesla, I upgraded to Gen 2,you have to change out a the sensor in the car, i don't remember the cost. but i have 2 sets of wheels, so i can rotate and swap wheels on my own now and not need Tesla to reprogram.

GEN 1 have to be programmed by tesla, I upgraded to Gen 2,you have to change out a the sensor in the car, i don't remember the cost. but i have 2 sets of wheels, so i can rotate and swap wheels on my own now and not need Tesla to reprogram.

My Gen 1s also had the in car reset ability allowing you to swap wheels at home. It was an added software function a couple years after the cars came out. - Peter

• Informative
Reactions: David99