Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replace TPMS sensors yourself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After doing a little research, I learned most modern sensors can be programmed. The programming tool reads the old sensors and programs the new ones to act the same way. In other words, you don't have to find the exact old type TPMS sensors. They just have to program the correct type.

Hello,
I have the same issue with my tpms, the gen1 version. I would like to wait for my next tires to change the sensors. I try to find informations but it is not clear at all when it comes to compatibility. What is the requirement for the replacement of the gen1 sensor?
Thank you in advance for any information

Hello,
I have the same issue with my tpms, the gen1 version. I would like to wait for my next tires to change the sensors. I try to find informations but it is not clear at all when it comes to compatibility. What is the requirement for the replacement of the gen1 sensor?
Thank you in advance for any information

All modern sensors can be programmed. You can't get a wrong one, just needs to be programmed correctly. I found one seller on Amazon that seems to know Tesla and the different versions. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0768TP16K

• Helpful
Reactions: bhzmark
I just upgraded my wheels on my Gen 1. The mechanic didn't keep track of which sensor came from where, so all four were in a new location. The car freaked out thinking all 4 had zero air pressure. There is a button saying something like "New Sensors". Fixed everything in a few seconds.

Reactions: PeterK
After v9 was installed in my car. The TPMS reset is gone from service option. My SC said senors are bad. NO, ITS GONE FROM SCREEN.
My SC man in the car. Oh your senors are bad, we cant read them. Sure , just over night all went bad. Then he says if one sensors goes bad option will disappear from screen. Total idiot. No Tesla removed the RESET option. I am still arguing with Draper.

Im running into the similar problems now. I have a 2016 S and have Turbine wheels from a 2014 S (prob with the old sensors). Tire pressure light is on. The reset button is gone now. Tesla gave me two options to replace the sensors - old baolong sensors and the retrofit. Since my car already has newer receivers, it sounds like from these posts that I can get gen 2 sensors and they will automatically read.

Does this sound right?

Im running into the similar problems now. I have a 2016 S and have Turbine wheels from a 2014 S (prob with the old sensors). Tire pressure light is on. The reset button is gone now. Tesla gave me two options to replace the sensors - old baolong sensors and the retrofit. Since my car already has newer receivers, it sounds like from these posts that I can get gen 2 sensors and they will automatically read.

Does this sound right?

yes.

If you know the tires sat a long time, you might try waking them up in case they are Gen2 sensors stuck in sleep mode. Reduce the tire pressure to 20 psi or so then fill it quickly to rated pressure (45 psi mostly). If the wheels were being used recently, no need to try this...

I went tire shop who installed my new sensors, he tested them, all r fine. In both sets of wheels.
Hoho, they r trying to force us to install a new $1500 system by removing the Reset option. I got it now, no way Jose I'm spending 1500.
Put the option back in the software. I reckon we will have to call help desk everyday.
[email protected] is gone. So can't send emails anymore.

I am in the same position as a few of you. I bought the replacement tpms for my aftermarket wheels, and the choices were 2012-2013 or 01/2014-2016. I chose 01/2014 as my car was registered in August 2014. It is the gen1 system. I have a ts401 scanner, and I scanned the 3 remaining wheels I have working. They all ID as 433mhz, and can be cloned. Where I am struggling is with the 4th wheel. I cannot clone that, but could manually assign an ID, if I knew what it was supposed to be. I don't want to go to a service centre for something I could fix without incurring Tesla time fees or timescales. Is there a way to get the stored tpms Id's? Thanks

In order to reset the TPMS, I have found that changing the wheel size will reset the sensors.

You should have the option to change the wheel size. Since I was putting the snow tires on my 19's I changed the wheel size on the screen to the 21's and once the system restarted I switched it back to the 19's.

This seemed to take care of that for me.

I bought a used Tesla. The front driver's side wheel PSI always reported an orange alert, and never displayed the tire pressure.

So I read this thread. Bought this 4-pack of TPMS sensors for $74 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0768S4SXR/) from Amazon. Discount Tire replaced all four sensors for me for $76; it's not an easy DIY job to pull the tire off the rim.

After the installation, all four tires were showing hard red errors. Trying to "Reset Sensors" from the Service screen didn't seem to do anything. I drove the car a few miles home, then changed the Wheel Size (from the default 19" style to a different 19" style) as recommended above. After the screens finished rebooting, all four sensors were reporting PSI accurately.

Success!

• Helpful
Reactions: bhzmark