Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replace with generation two latches on pre-owned before delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody gotten Tesla to replace the door latches with the newest generation before delivery on the preowned 2016 model years? I asked my rep and he said only if they fail you can take it to a Tesla service center to replace.

I think some owners here got their latches replaced and wanted to know how you did it? Did something break or were you able to do it before delivery?

Has anybody gotten Tesla to replace the door latches with the newest generation before delivery on the preowned 2016 model years? I asked my rep and he said only if they fail you can take it to a Tesla service center to replace.

I think some owners here got their latches replaced and wanted to know how you did it? Did something break or were you able to do it before delivery?

I had one of my FWD latches go and took it in for replacement. I asked if they could do the other one before it fails and they said they can only replace once they fail. I'm in Canada, so you mileage may vary.

I had one of my FWD latches go and took it in for replacement. I asked if they could do the other one before it fails and they said they can only replace once they fail. I'm in Canada, so you mileage may vary.
Sorry for the confusion. I thought the "latches" mentioned were the actual latch actuators that physically keep the door shut. That's what my earlier post was referring to.

Sounds like you were referring to the FWD door switches to open/close the doors. I still have the old pull/push switch, which I quite like. Haven't bothered to get them replaced, although it does seem to confuse my passengers.

If the original poster was referring to the front door soft-close latches, I just had my 2016 Model X's door latches both replaced while my vehicle was in for different service. While having a 2016 Model X loaner with updated latches, I mentioned how much nicer they were than my car's, and the said "the old latches have issues in the cold, and since it is winter, we'll swap them out for you".

If you are having issues with your soft close front door latches in the cold, try mentioning that?