Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replace worn PRND buttons (2.0/2.5) ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I posted about this last year, my gear shift buttons are showing some wear. I was wondering if anyone's had them replaced with new? (And the cost associated with that) - also wondering if I got the parts if this was a possible DIY job? I'm hoping someone here maybe has taken this apart and knows if it's a simple or complex job.

I think I posted about this last year, my gear shift buttons are showing some wear. I was wondering if anyone's had them replaced with new? (And the cost associated with that) - also wondering if I got the parts if this was a possible DIY job? I'm hoping someone here maybe has taken this apart and knows if it's a simple or complex job.

IMO it is not so much wear as it is the effect behind the glass due to the lamp.
I would call it more as "discoloring" the white background by temperature of the lamp.
An LED would certainly have less "wear" as You put it.

Here's the issue I'm looking to bring back to new:

Attachments

• roadsterbuttons.jpg
    roadsterbuttons.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 88
I had similar initial "wear" on my "P" button. Put XPEL disks on the buttons. Since then, no additional wear in the past 1.5yr.
Will eventually replace once I get to it.

However, if it is just thermally induced discoloring as noted by milehigh then it may not help in the long run unless
it is an interaction with between perspiration/heat/paint.

My 2.0 also had the silver accent paint on all the air vents wear away in parts from the previous owner. I replaced those.
Interesting with those is that I found you can replace them with the Alfa 4C spider vents. They are the same (even molded ID numbers) except the chrome ring is not shiny silver, but rather a more matte silver which matches much better to the matte silver door pulls, the matte silver accents on the newer CF sills and the matte silver on the shifter console. I kept the originals for future use.