Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replaced Air Filters, still musty/old smelling.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I replaced my cabin air filters using the popular Youtube guides posted elsewhere on this forum. I bought the can of foam and did everything as instructed. Even went through the frunk and cleaned out the instake (completely clean/clear already)

It smelt minty and fresh right after I did it, but after a day or two it came back. I must say the smell is different than before, now it just smells like old worn out shoes. I got taptes replacement filters, could those be culprit of the smell? bad old filters? Did I not leave the foam in long enough? ( I did the 15 minutes on low air just like the instructions said).

Feels like I just wasted my time for 1-2 days of freshness, pretty frustrated.

Should I do it again, get another can of foam?

Should I get a different brand of filter?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Try running the heater on HI for around 20 minutes. I'd also buy another can of foam and try again. I use the spearhead filters for my Model 3. I think they work much better than OEM. Here is the link if you're interested: https://amzn.to/3lHDzOG

Let me know how running the heater on HI works.

Did you have any issues with the thickness of these filters compared to the OEM? I've seen a few posts elsewhere that the person was bitching up a storm because he could not make the aftermarkets fit.

Hmmm. I just changed mine last week. Followed the video with the bearded guy and emptied the foam cleaner in the evaporator and the poopy smell was gone instantly

I just replaced the filters with Tesla's $14 filters. $30 for two with shipping. Best price. AC smells great again no issues

I had the exact same thing happen to me. Had very bad moldy smells. Replaced the filters and did a A/C cleaning foam all over the evaporator coils. Let is sit for 20 minutes or so, then dried it all out on low for a bit. Smelled great for a whole 2 days, then the smell came right back.

So I did the exact same thing again. This time I sprayed Lysol generously all over the coils and let it sit for 10 minutes or more, THEN did the foam again. Waited a few hours, then ran the A/C in the garage for an hour to let the condensation rinse everything out (don't want to be breathing all the chemicals). That got it. FWIW, I used some generic filters from amazon, not the Tesla filters. The smell had nothing to do with the filters. Even my dirty filters smelled perfectly fine even though they were dirty.

My A/C has smelled normal for the last 3-4 weeks now, so fingers crossed it holds up for awhile.

The trick is to kill whatever fungus or bacteria is growing in there. The foam may not get it all, or may be more of a cleaner when you really need a disinfectant.

Reactions: mlkmade
I had the exact same thing happen to me.//

The trick is to kill whatever fungus or bacteria is growing in there. The foam may not get it all, or may be more of a cleaner when you really need a disinfectant.

Hey Dave I appreciate this reply (and everyone else too), this was very helpful. Specifically because you eliminated the new filters as a culprit and was hoping to hear this from someone, so thanks for that.

The first time around I did the 15 minutes on low a/c on the dot. And I read elsewhere more time is good/helps so I was wondering if I just didn't leave it on long enough. Gonna try to do the foam again..and maybe look into the lysol.

I was just reluctant to do this again...when I pulled out the center console side panel to get to it, I noticed all the clips on the panels were squashed sideways and smashed or bent completely off, so I couldnt put the panel back on properly. Whoever installed it on the initial build of my car or when there was some work done to my car as an SC ( I dont know if they ever opened that panel), whoever, did not properly put the panel back in and smashed it with brute force. I just finally got the part replaced and I'm scared to take it out haha.

Try running the heater on HI for around 20 minutes. I'd also buy another can of foam and try again. I use the spearhead filters for my Model 3. I think they work much better than OEM. Here is the link if you're interested: https://amzn.to/3lHDzOG

Let me know how running the heater on HI works.

Ya know now that you mention it, I turned my heaters on for the first time in awhile the other day and it smelled its worst. Maybe its burning it out? Will try to leave it on for an extended time, thanks for the suggestion!

My goes back to recirculate by itself and it does not tell u when it does. How do u never use recirc?
Set to AUTO and set the target temperature high enough so it won't command max cooling or heating. I always run 73 or 75F. I've been monitoring HVAC since my first Tesla and only a couple times has the car engaged RECIRC - that was 96F day in summer. People that run the climate on 'LO' or near that are asking for odor problems.

Reactions: scooter62
I run AUTO 73 and recirculation comes on and off all the time.
South Florida Summer High Humidity and TESLA RECIRC
simply does not work well.

First car I have had here with an A/C odor smell, something is simply not right with the system is what I think. Maybe the 2021 works different.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fadiawesome
All my windows ceramic tinted may be a factor in A/C operation and lack of RECIRC. Worst case just check the controls and tap it off. Of all the threads here that is the only solution for no smell - at least in my cars. Since new and original filters.

Set to AUTO and set the target temperature high enough so it won't command max cooling or heating. I always run 73 or 75F. I've been monitoring HVAC since my first Tesla and only a couple times has the car engaged RECIRC - that was 96F day in summer. People that run the climate on 'LO' or near that are asking for odor problems.

Anyone know what the recirculate symbols mean? There are 3 modes:

Blue
White
Grayed out

Blue would be recirc=on but what do the others mean?

I had a really bad smell as well. I replaced both cabin filters with the Tesla OEM filters and have not noticed any foul smell since.

I had the bad smell late last year, and paid tesla to do the whole process (I wasnt interested in doing it myself, even though I saw the youtube videos). Since I had it done at tesla, obviously I have the tesla replacement ones, not aftermarket. Smell hasnt come back and its been about a year now. I put a lot fewer miles on my car this year though cause... well everyone knows why, lol.