Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replaced Air Filters, still musty/old smelling.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Replacing the filters can help with the smell but cleaning the coils is what will 100% get rid of the funk smell. There are links to the products in the youtube video. You can also schedule an appointment via the service center and they will replace the filters and clean the coils, but it costs a lot more to do it through Tesla vs doing it yourself.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I just did the change of filter and coil cleaning on my 2019 Model 3 -- right at 2 years old with about 30k on it. Over the winter, started noticing the AC funk whenever we used defroster or (while in Florida over the holidays) AC -- we live just outside NYC, so moderate humidity, but the trip down south may have pushed it over the edge. Anyway, all seems to have gone well. I put in XTechnor Tesla Model 3/ Model Y Air Filter HEPA Filters with Activated Carbon -- seems well made, snug fit (with an extra thin layer of foam rubber around the outside edges that compresses and improves fit, I guess) -- from Amazon, $50. For the foam cleaner, used Nextzett 96110515 Klima-Cleaner Air Conditioner Cleaner, also Amazon, $15 (plenty in one can to overflow the compartment with a little leftover that I used in the air intake via the frunk). Took for a test drive, air flow is fine, no AC funk, just a little chemical odor that I hope will go away. I'll report back on how it goes. Bonus: the filter box also had a L wrench to get that bastard screw off and on, and a plastic tool that made getting the fasteners off and side panel loose easier than just fingers alone. The panel under the glove box was missing one fastener, but it wasn't lose or rattling, so I don't fault Tesla manufacturers on that. I was actually impressed with the quality of the Tesla parts and materials and how they put it together -- came off cleanly and back on perfectly. I didn't have to use the bubble gum and bailing wire I had set aside!
: -)

Had this problem in my Y, PAID service over $100 to fix it, and it came right back. Clearly a design issue, this has never happened in any other car I've owned, borrowed or driven, so what's that, maybe over a hundred cars? Mildewy smell from the AC is not something any buyer should put up with and Tesla should engineer a permanent fix. COME ON.

• Funny
Reactions: Matsayz and LionXng
Set to AUTO and set the target temperature high enough so it won't command max cooling or heating. I always run 73 or 75F. I've been monitoring HVAC since my first Tesla and only a couple times has the car engaged RECIRC - that was 96F day in summer. People that run the climate on 'LO' or near that are asking for odor problems.

i dont think that is the sole reason. i live in the humid tropics and my car almost never is NOT in recirculate. and i dont not have smell problems.

sometimes when i get into the car the first 2 seconds of A/C do smell musty but it goes very quickly away and is presumably just the humid air trapped inside the AC system.

I believe there was a fix for this from Tesla via an update, but it requires the AC to be left on when exiting. This allows the system to continue for a short time before the car shuts down on a more regular basis, to blow air over the coils and prevent the condition that previously left the coils wet and allowed bacteria to grow. I, personally only had this issue when I purposely turned the AC off prior to existing the car. Hopefully this helps someone.

Had this problem in my Y, PAID service over $100 to fix it, and it came right back. Clearly a design issue, this has never happened in any other car I've owned, borrowed or driven, so what's that, maybe over a hundred cars? Mildewy smell from the AC is not something any buyer should put up with and Tesla should engineer a permanent fix. COME ON.
FWIW, my '21 M3 is only 4 months old with around 5K miles and the smell is pretty bad at startup. The car it replaced was 9 years old with 214K miles and never had a musty smell from the HVAC system. I've got a service appt for next week and they've updated my service ticket that they've ordered new PT Sensors (high and low pressure). From what I've googled, these are normally replaced on heat pump models (All MYs and '21 M3s) when the heat doesn't work at all. Not sure as to why they think this will fix the musty smell. Perhaps they control the flushing out of damp air when parked. Estimate for service is ~$150 but I'm wondering why this isn't 100% covered as per warranty; I definitely plan to argue this at the service appt.

FWIW, my '21 M3 is only 4 months old with around 5K miles and the smell is pretty bad at startup. The car it replaced was 9 years old with 214K miles and never had a musty smell from the HVAC system. I've got a service appt for next week and they've updated my service ticket that they've ordered new PT Sensors (high and low pressure). From what I've googled, these are normally replaced on heat pump models (All MYs and '21 M3s) when the heat doesn't work at all. Not sure as to why they think this will fix the musty smell. Perhaps they control the flushing out of damp air when parked. Estimate for service is ~$150 but I'm wondering why this isn't 100% covered as per warranty; I definitely plan to argue this at the service appt.
Typically service appointments will show an estimate when scheduled, but if covered under warranty, they will have a balance due of $0. Can definitely be confusing.

Let us know how it goes. I agree with you this should be 100% covered by warranty....

So, my thinking after having 2 M3s is that you have to avoid situations where the coils can’t dry themselves. I think in order of importance, that means doing the following:

1) Cabin Overheat Protection = Fan Only (do not use the AC option)
2) Use the “leave climate on” option sparingly
3) Use recirc sparingly (don’t let it run all the time).

I’m convinced my problem was cabin overheat protection running the AC constantly during the summer, which I suspect kept the coils wet. On top of that, I park in a cool garage so I’m sure that doesn’t help.

I haven't had a problem with my new M3. I did smell a slight hint of vinegar a couple weeks ago so I parked it out for a few days when it was warm, sunny and dry so cabin overheat protection would run the fan occasionally and that took care of it.

Last edited:
it really is sad that we have to combat this issue but 'tweaking' how we use the a/c. i had my filters changed by tesla service exactly 12 months after owning the car. now i'm approaching 22 months and the smell is back. i am not comfortable changing the filters myself even after watching the ranger do it the first time. in fact, he was new or something and had a really rough time getting everything back in place. took him over an hour total. anyway, i'll put in another service call i guess - another 150 bucks... but i guess, all in all, i have done exactly 2 services to this car in 22 months (tire rotation + filter change) so it could be a lot worse.

it really is sad that we have to combat this issue but 'tweaking' how we use the a/c. i had my filters changed by tesla service exactly 12 months after owning the car. now i'm approaching 22 months and the smell is back. i am not comfortable changing the filters myself even after watching the ranger do it the first time. in fact, he was new or something and had a really rough time getting everything back in place. took him over an hour total. anyway, i'll put in another service call i guess - another 150 bucks... but i guess, all in all, i have done exactly 2 services to this car in 22 months (tire rotation + filter change) so it could be a lot worse.

its definetely not an hour job. on a LHD it is easily doable in 15min. On the RHD maybe 20-25min.

its definetely not an hour job. on a LHD it is easily doable in 15min. On the RHD maybe 20-25min.

I’ve technically done it 3 times. It’s not complicated (and I’m not paying someone else to do it), but I can see it taking an hour if you’ve never done it before and/or have stubborn trim pieces or something like that. For me, one of the light connectors under the glovebox absolutely would not disconnect the first time. I probably spent 20 minutes alone wresting with that. I also took lots of breaks because the contortionist act was not great for my back.

I’d say a normal, non-car person (like me) can do it in 20-30 minutes if everything goes perfect. No way could I do it in less than that. Maybe a car guy or a professional could, but definitely it me.

I've owned many cars in my lifetime (GM, VW, Hyundai, Ford, Toyota), every single one of them had A/C odor issues at one time or another. My Tesla, however, definitely got it the soonest, the strongest smell, and the smell returned the soonest after treatment. Since I've lived in Southern California my whole life (and climate is unchanged), its fair for me to say that the design or implementation in the Tesla is more prone to bad smells than my other cars.
I've seen here and on other forums that people recommend NOT using Recirc to help prevent the odors. I'm not sure of the logic behind that recommendation. Most A/C bad smells are from bacteria or fungus growing on the coils or in the evaporator case. This happens due to the constant moisture forming on the coils and not draining away effectively. Running recirc will ensure the air in the cabin is DRIER than the outside air, which in turn should create LESS condensation. Less condensation should allow less bacteria and mold to accumulate. That's my thoughts, anyhow. If I'm wrong in my thinking, let me know.

Tough I suppose you'd occasionally want MORE condensation to make sure the coils are thoroughly rinsed off as they get stuff stuck to them that gets past the filter.