Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replaced the Wood Trim with Suede

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well not completely, just a cover from Ali Express. Shipped to CA $50, 3M tape to stick onto the existing wood dash trim. The color is Black, not gray which is ideally what I wanted, but will go with this until I can find an exact match of the Alcantara fabric at a reasonable price.

Before:
Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 12.21.02 PM.png

After:
Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 12.21.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 12.21.23 PM.png

RPM Tesla sells the alcantara dash caps that match the existing alcantara perfectly.

That looks pretty good. I had a buddy at stereo shop wrap it with a fabric like alcantera. This was a while ago before cap options were available. I would have just done the caps now, so much easier.

Attachments

• 16265831396832712464848873657134.jpg
    16265831396832712464848873657134.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 235
Reactions: Hustle
RPM Tesla sells the alcantara dash caps that match the existing alcantara perfectly.

Any recs for those of us with white dash caps?

Well not completely, just a cover from Ali Express. Shipped to CA $50, 3M tape to stick onto the existing wood dash trim. The color is Black, not gray which is ideally what I wanted, but will go with this until I can find an exact match of the Alcantara fabric at a reasonable price.

Is that a 1-piece cap or was it 2 pieces?

I helped a friend put some some alcantara fabric that had a sticky bottom to it. He got it on Amazon from the same company that made my carbon fiber wrap that I used on my Model 3 dash. I believe he paid around $18 for the alcantara wrap. Install of the alcantara “wrap” was pretty straight forward like the carbon fiber wrap, but the alcantara was less forgiving around the corners so you had to play with the heat gun a bit more, but too much heat on the alcantara would mess up the fabric. Also, we had to use 3M adhesive promotor on the wood corners or the thicker alcantara would want to start coming up over time. Rather than waiting for that to happen, I used the adhesive promoter around the corners and some edges with a q-tip (I did the same on my dash with the carbon wrap) and it’s been holding great for the past 4 months now.

Installing carbon fiber wrap was easier since it’s more pliable than alcantara wrap, but the nice thing of the alcantara wrap is that it doesn’t show any glare or reflection from the windows. I sometimes noticed the reflection from my carbon fiber dash, but it wasn’t anything bad like the wood grain before it. I’ll take some pictures of the alcantara dash the next time I see him.

Is that a 1-piece cap or was it 2 pieces?

I helped a friend put some some alcantara fabric that had a sticky bottom to it. He got it on Amazon from the same company that made my carbon fiber wrap that I used on my Model 3 dash. I believe he paid around $18 for the alcantara wrap. Install of the alcantara “wrap” was pretty straight forward like the carbon fiber wrap, but the alcantara was less forgiving around the corners so you had to play with the heat gun a bit more, but too much heat on the alcantara would mess up the fabric. Also, we had to use 3M adhesive promotor on the wood corners or the thicker alcantara would want to start coming up over time. Rather than waiting for that to happen, I used the adhesive promoter around the corners and some edges with a q-tip (I did the same on my dash with the carbon wrap) and it’s been holding great for the past 4 months now.

Installing carbon fiber wrap was easier since it’s more pliable than alcantara wrap, but the nice thing of the alcantara wrap is that it doesn’t show any glare or reflection from the windows. I sometimes noticed the reflection from my carbon fiber dash, but it wasn’t anything bad like the wood grain before it. I’ll take some pictures of the alcantara dash the next time I see him.
Do you have a link to the Alcantara wrap? I haven’t been able to find this for a dash wrap as they are all caps that fit over the wood dash instead.