Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replaced windshield and EAP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had cracked windshield replaced at S Florida SC and was told cameras were calibrated. On relatively short drive home received the “autopilot temporarily not available” and no lane markers visible at all on display. Next day wavy lines displayed and when available, eap would abruptly try to steer vehicle directly into a ditch, wall or vehicle. Today, better but car ping-pongs more or less within the lane and brakes for phantom vehicles it perceives (based on display) to be in my lane that are actually in adjacent lane. Not sure what tomorrow will bring (haven’t contacted SC yet because it is weekend) but is this expected “self calibration” or lack of SC calibration or competence in doing so? Anyone else experience this?
I am never fully trusting of EAP so always vigilant but can definitely see where this behavior, regardless of cause, could cause a serious accident given that the EAP was functioning normally before the replacement and a less skeptical driver could have been less cautious at first use.

It took about 40-50 miles on my 75D for the lane markers and the steering wheel icon to show up on the dash display. I agree that EAP tends to ping pong back and forth and is definitely not as smooth as an AP1 car. I personally don't trust it and am reluctant to turn it on in heavy traffic.

It took about 40-50 miles on my 75D for the lane markers and the steering wheel icon to show up on the dash display. I agree that EAP tends to ping pong back and forth and is definitely not as smooth as an AP1 car. I personally don't trust it and am reluctant to turn it on in heavy traffic.
Just had cracked windshield replaced at S Florida SC and was told cameras were calibrated. On relatively short drive home received the “autopilot temporarily not available” and no lane markers visible at all on display. Next day wavy lines displayed and when available, eap would abruptly try to steer vehicle directly into a ditch, wall or vehicle. Today, better but car ping-pongs more or less within the lane and brakes for phantom vehicles it perceives (based on display) to be in my lane that are actually in adjacent lane. Not sure what tomorrow will bring (haven’t contacted SC yet because it is weekend) but is this expected “self calibration” or lack of SC calibration or competence in doing so? Anyone else experience this?
I am never fully trusting of EAP so always vigilant but can definitely see where this behavior, regardless of cause, could cause a serious accident given that the EAP was functioning normally before the replacement and a less skeptical driver could have been less cautious at first use.
To update and hopefully provide closure on this should anyone else need windshield replacement, just got the vehicle back today. The front camera needed calibration and installation of a “shim” to get to factory specs. I’m told it will complete calibration after driving 100-200 mi . The caveat here is despite the fact that I asked three times if the camera was recalibrated after installing the windshield, it apparently was not. EAP worked well enough for me before changing the windshield that I used it routinely on a daily basis. If I had just activated it without paying a lot of attention, the vehicle definitely could have collided with another vehicle before I could take over the steering-dangerous. I understand that this service center down here in South Florida is really overwhelmed, but kind of disappointed in the lack of quality control.

I had the same thing happened and camera calibration did not fix the problem of my car hugging thr left lane (after a windshield replacement).

They had to clear my "DAS" (Driver Assistance System) and it completely reset my AP2.0 history and started working again perfectly immediately.