Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement 19" tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put A/S 3s on my 2012... They seem to perform fine... was about $1200 out the door at Costco. Not sure how much I like them though, they seem to have more rolling resistance than what I had on previously, which escapes me at the moment.

With 54,000 miles driven with the OEM Michelins (with legal tread left), I have an appointment in a few weeks at America's/Discount Tire and have decided to give the OEM Goodyears (Eagle RS A-2, not the new OEM Eagle Touring) a try.

I expect at least 30,000-35,000 miles from the Goodyears. My out the door price, after $135 in rebates for using their credit card and some other regularly-recurring promotion, will be $481 for the full set.

By way of comparison, Tesla's price for a full set of installed Eagle RS A-2s was $919 and Sam's Club's was $521. Buying from Tire Rack or Discount Tires Direct and having the set sent to Costco for installation would have been about $600 out the door.

Be advised that the Goodyear Eagle RS A-2s are not as good as the OEM Michelins. The latter have a tread life warranty, deeper stiping, steel belts across the entire width, and are LRR, for starters.

We shall see. It would be nice to have more information about the new Eagle Touring tire made for Teslas. Evidently it has foam, no tread life warranty, and costs about what the OEM Michelins cost.

Only if you don't get flats. I replaced mine at 13K due to flats.

That's definitely a concern.

Am in the process of acquiring more road gear in part because of that and because I noticed how much of the recent roadtrippery was through areas without connectivity for hours on end. Neither the car nor my phone had bupkis. Add a wayward nail or screw and that could be the start of a very long day. Plus after last year's fiasco, I have less than zero faith in AAA.

Anyway, so far, I've acquired a decent 12V compressor, plug kit, and slime. Am presently evaluating bottle jacks, a 12V impact wrench (www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00544EZQ2), and I already have a sufficient torque wrench. The idea being I'd also like to manage my own tire rotations. Have concluded that the less my car sees the inside of a service center/garage apart from annual servicings, the better I like it.

Also on the list:

Proper impact sockets (more sturdy than regular sockets)
A breaker bar
Possibly some extra of those lug nut caps that Tesla insists upon using, in case I end up farkling one or two of them
A pair of vice grips to go with the plug kit
A proper half-height orange traffic cone
A pair of hockey pucks
A pair of good knee pads. I'm a delicate flower. Actually, I just have half a bad knee.

You'd think I'd add a full-sized spare, but I'm not that smart. On the other hand, I also haven't had a blowout or flat since having 3 of them, all within 50 miles of Gila Bend, Arizona, and the last one of those was over 15 years ago. And that one technically wasn't a blowout or a flat. The entire tread separated/came off the tire, leaving just the sidewalls and a nice shiny center metal donut. I pulled over, walked back to pick up the tread (still in one piece), noticed the tire still had air in it, and ended up driving very slowly on the shoulder for damn near 50 miles to a garage in Gila Bend, at which the thermometer *in the shade* said 119F. But I digress.

As far as flats go, if I get one with this next/first set of Goodyears, so be it. If I get two, it's back to the Michelins I go, with enthusiasm.

Reactions: Cyclone
As far as flats go, if I get one with this next/first set of Goodyears, so be it. If I get two, it's back to the Michelins I go, with enthusiasm.
I had three, the last one was not repairable, so I dumped all the tires.

I'd forget the impact wrench. A new set of nuts is about $120 and it really doesn't speed things up that much except in a shop environment.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I too have the 19" OEM MXM4s on my 85D. I have just above 20K miles and have 3/32 on the front and 4/32 on the back, so I feel like I'm in the "normal" wear range for the tires. I am interested in hearing what others have experienced, in terms of other tires available.

I just picked up a pre-owned 60 kWh car with ~11k miles and had the service center give it a once over for a couple little things. They measured all 4 tires at 6/32".

The original owner had it in for its annual service @ 9k miles and had the tires rotated then.

OEM Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 on 19" Cyclones

Anyone care to hazard a guess on how long these are going to last me?

I just picked up a pre-owned 60 kWh car with ~11k miles and had the service center give it a once over for a couple little things. They measured all 4 tires at 6/32".

The original owner had it in for its annual service @ 9k miles and had the tires rotated then.

OEM Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 on 19" Cyclones

Anyone care to hazard a guess on how long these are going to last me?

Depends on how you drive--I am on my 2nd set on my 2013 S85 (not dual drive but has SAS). First set went about 22k miles but I think I did not have a great alignment from the factory. 2nd set has 20k miles and lots of tread left (very careful with inflation pressures and alignment). FWIW I chose to buy a 2nd set since they were/are so cheap (like $120/tire compared to the $200+ for the Michelin Primacy and the new OEM Eagle Touring tire with the foam liner). YMMV.

I'd appreciate any opinions as to whether my tyres are interchangeable. My recently acquired 2014 P85 came from Tesla with 21inch wheels all round, but although all shod with Continental Contisport Contacts (all are 245/35s) the fronts are R 21 W and the rears ZR 21 Y..... is there really much difference?

I'd appreciate any opinions as to whether my tyres are interchangeable. My recently acquired 2014 P85 came from Tesla with 21inch wheels all round, but although all shod with Continental Contisport Contacts (all are 245/35s) the fronts are R 21 W and the rears ZR 21 Y..... is there really much difference?

Sorry - got that wrong.. the R 21 Ws are on the rears!

Hmm for my non performance s 85 I went with another set of 245/45R19 Primacy MXM4 @ 46,735mi but tred was as low as I would dare with 3 at 3/32 and 1 at 2/32 at time of replacement.

great tires IMO - got them from discount tire and full warrantied of course.

The time for new tires is approaching again so hitting this thread up with some data.

I do not recommend the Goodyear eagle touring 245/45 R19 98W SL VSB TE as they have hit the 3mm mark with only 14,249 miles driven on them.

The Michelin Primacy MXM4 245/45R19 98W SL BSW I used before these gave me 24,464 miles on one set and 29,958 miles on another.

The next set of tires I am planning to go with after much comparison will likely be the NOKIAN WR G4 245/45R19 102V XL so will update again once those are spent with milage they last.

Reactions: cityhpper
The next set of tires I am planning to go with after much comparison will likely be the NOKIAN WR G4 245/45R19 102V XL so will update again once those are spent with milage they last.
These are what I'm running (third set after MXM4 and A/S 3+). I plan to get another set of the Nokians when it's time. Best all-seasons for our part of the country. Only downside is they are starting to get noisier as the tread wears.