Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement 85kwh Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey y'all,

Just heard back from my SC that i'll be getting a new HV battery for my P85D. They don't have an ETA, but reported the battery is part # 1088934-01-E which is an 85kwh v6. Does anyone know if this battery is throttled by battery/chargegate? I can't seem to find anyone else reporting anything about this battery.

Thanks!

You might not be limited by batterygate immediately but that is the old 85 that will be throttled by chargegate and probably both eventually. Double check 100% and supercharge speeds as soon as it is installed, and be ready to file a complaint if it has either. Your battery's performance legally can't be downgraded from warranty work
Ugh I was worried about this :( thanks for the reply, I will be certain to check it out.

what should I look for as far as charging? I pretty much capped out at 50kw with my old battery... hard to tell if it was throttled or if it was the bad battery...

Hey y'all,

Just heard back from my SC that i'll be getting a new HV battery for my P85D. They don't have an ETA, but reported the battery is part # 1088934-01-E which is an 85kwh v6. Does anyone know if this battery is throttled by battery/chargegate? I can't seem to find anyone else reporting anything about this battery.

Thanks!

Congratulations...

What was the complaint/symptoms that led to this decision from Tesla?

Ugh I was worried about this :( thanks for the reply, I will be certain to check it out.

what should I look for as far as charging? I pretty much capped out at 50kw with my old battery... hard to tell if it was throttled or if it was the bad battery...

Don't worry. I understand that as of a year ago, there was an improved battery version to help prevent critical failures for the Model S 85 (and likely the other versions). They hopefully have improved the batteries further since then to reduce range / charging issues. You should try a 100% charge and see what your rated miles are - 253 when new for the 2015 Model S P85D. Be sure to drive immediately afterward. Also try Supercharging and if you don't get near or above 100 kW with a 10 - 20% battery state of charge initially, try the next connector over.

I believe Tesla did a slight range / charging reduction for some of the 2012 - 2017 models to help improve overall safety. That was done before this year.

You might not be limited by batterygate immediately but that is the old 85 that will be throttled by chargegate and probably both eventually. Double check 100% and supercharge speeds as soon as it is installed, and be ready to file a complaint if it has either. Your battery's performance legally can't be downgraded from warranty work

Tesla is continuously improving, I believe even for replacement components as this will help them lower overall costs (not having to replace the same component repeatedly saves costs). They may have been able to improve the range / charging characteristics for replacement main batteries.

Last edited:
I'm capped to 50kW too, and Tesla blows the words "above average" up my you know what when I ask they to repair it so don't expect more (except for the first 90 seconds, I think they spike and then start dropping right away hoping you will walk away immediately and think the spike is your actual charge speed).

Reactions: InternetDude
I'm capped to 50kW too, and Tesla blows the words "above average" up my you know what when I ask they to repair it so don't expect more (except for the first 90 seconds, I think they spike and then start dropping right away hoping you will walk away immediately and think the spike is your actual charge speed).

imagine taking the extra step to code that into your software, such a tesla move.

Reactions: Chaserr
Congratulations...

What was the complaint/symptoms that led to this decision from Tesla?

went outside to find a dead car :/ had to have it towed to the SC... it had 50% charge the day before when I moved it into the street for the next day (getting a new roof and they needed the driveway for a dumpster). Went to go grab breakfast for everyone and the car was dead. :(.

Yeah, that's not normal vampire drain!

Yeah, I’ve lost 10% in a night when it was freezing cold...but it was mid 50s lol! It wasn’t even connecting to the app. The doors, wipers, trunk/trunk lights and windows all worked fine, but the panels were borked, and didn’t respond to reset.

while it was on the truck I got an alert that the battery was “dangerously low” and then I got a call from the S.C. saying the battery was dead...

Maybe the new update came with the advanced vampire drain. The Dracula update!

I've just been given a replacement 85kWhr battery. I was promised a new, not remanufactured battery (only verbally, unfortunately). My 2015 S has been fitted with a version B battery from 2013! The range is lower by 8km, however after 2 supercharges, the max charge rate has already been reduced to 30kW/hr. Big problem for me that has a regular 320km commute in a non-Covid world. It now takes at least an hour to charge 20-80%. I've written to Tesla, no reply as yet.

I've just been given a replacement 85kWhr battery. I was promised a new, not remanufactured battery (only verbally, unfortunately). My 2015 S has been fitted with a version B battery from 2013! The range is lower by 8km, however after 2 supercharges, the max charge rate has already been reduced to 30kW/hr. Big problem for me that has a regular 320km commute in a non-Covid world. It now takes at least an hour to charge 20-80%. I've written to Tesla, no reply as yet.

I would raise absolute hell. Maybe contact a lawyer!

• Helpful
...after 2 supercharges, the max charge rate has already been reduced to 30kW/hr. Big problem for me that has a regular 320km commute in a non-Covid world. It now takes at least an hour to charge 20-80%. I've written to Tesla, no reply as yet.
Oh that sucks. Good luck with that, it will be a long, frustrating challenge based on other similar reports in this forum!

I have an update for y'all and i am CONFUSED.

So i got the call yesterday that the battery came in and would be installed. I got a notification pretty much just as i got off the call saying there was a software update, and the car was back online!!

I opened the app and my jaw dropped when i saw my car was identifying as a P90D, as the invoice listed the 85kwh battery mentioned earlier. I figured it was a bug, and would be updated. checking after each of literally 4 notifications throughout the day notifying of updates starting and failing, and i check before bed and it's still reporting as a P90D.

This morning i called to see if the car would be ready (Was told it would be ready yesterday) and was told all the work on the car was done, but the engineering team was still doing something with the configuration in the software. I mentioned that it saw the P90D in the app, and she confirmed saying that's what they were trying to fix. Stating that they replaced it with the exact battery that came out of the car.

Well...I got the invoice from tesla and the part number is 1069776-01-A (V1 90kwh :/) and it is identified as (ASY,HVBATT,90KWH,REMAN,MDLS) ...So driving out there i was pretty confused to say the least... and when i got in my car, the dashboard shows P85D. The phone app still shows P90D. The invoice says it has a 90kwh battery, and upon checking the sticker, it IS the 90kwh battery... But still badged/showing in gui as a P85D.

Basically everyone but the car knows its a P90D...

...wat.

So i got the call yesterday that the battery came in and would be installed. I got a notification pretty much just as i got off the call saying there was a software update, and the car was back online!!

I opened the app and my jaw dropped when i saw my car was identifying as a P90D, as the invoice listed the 85kwh battery mentioned earlier. I figured it was a bug, and would be updated. checking after each of literally 4 notifications throughout the day notifying of updates starting and failing, and i check before bed and it's still reporting as a P90D.

This morning i called to see if the car would be ready (Was told it would be ready yesterday) and was told all the work on the car was done, but the engineering team was still doing something with the configuration in the software. I mentioned that it saw the P90D in the app, and she confirmed saying that's what they were trying to fix. Stating that they replaced it with the exact battery that came out of the car.

Well...I got the invoice from tesla and the part number is 1069776-01-A (V1 90kwh :/) and it is identified as (ASY,HVBATT,90KWH,REMAN,MDLS) ...So driving out there i was pretty confused to say the least... and when i got in my car, the dashboard shows P85D. The phone app still shows P90D. The invoice says it has a 90kwh battery, and upon checking the sticker, it IS the 90kwh battery... But still badged/showing in gui as a P85D.

...wat.
They pulled my 85 pack to replace suspected bad contactors that they will attempt to do at the SeC, with a tech who has never seen the problem before.

I asked for a 90 pack replacement, they said probably not, but they will check.

Rather concerned, had a good pack and low mileage SoCal car, but wish they had not opened it up...

...wat.
Tesla needs to create a P90 graphic lol