Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement 85kwh Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another Update!!!

service called to tell me that the car has a 90kwh battery but they are not allowed to let me use it, so it’s software limited. Apparently they are not allowed to put a 90kwh battery and not limit it due to “procedures”.

is my tech seriously trying to tell me this? Anyone have any experience with this?

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
Another Update!!!

service called to tell me that the car has a 90kwh battery but they are not allowed to let me use it, so it’s software limited. Apparently they are not allowed to put a 90kwh battery and not limit it due to “procedures”.

is my tech seriously trying to tell me this? Anyone have any experience with this?
There have been others in the past who got a used 90 pack as warranty replacement for an 85 pack, and the SeC even rebadged the car.

Seems like this won't happen for you.

A late model 90 pack should have greater range, and charge quicker if it had been limited to 85. Plus, you can charge higher with out worrying as much about causing degradation.

They pulled my pack and opened it up. Fortunately, I have Teslafi and SMT data, so if they decide to replace it I know exactly what I had - 77.5 KwH nominal capacity.

• Informative
Reactions: lightningltd
There have been others in the past who got a used 90 pack as warranty replacement for an 85 pack, and the SeC even rebadged the car.

Seems like this won't happen for you.

A late model 90 pack should have greater range, and charge quicker if it had been limited to 85. Plus, you can charge higher with out worrying as much about causing degradation.

They pulled my pack and opened it up. Fortunately, I have Teslafi and SMT data, so if they decide to replace it I know exactly what I had - 77.5 KwH nominal capacity.

I can’t believe there is such a difference in SC “protocol” I have half a mind to just go to different service centers to ask them... I just got off the phone with customer service, who called the manager, and said that “you weren’t supposed to be notified that there was an upgrade”. So my SC is actively lying to deceive me...

He said that according to his system, it’s a P90D... and they seem to be super confused. I have extrapolated my range to ge 253@100% which is 20 miles more than I was getting on my 85... which makes me think they didn’t software limit the 90...

I’m so disappointed...my car has had a lot of issues and has been in the SC a lot... to the point where pretty much all the techs know me lol... they have always been freaking awesome... but now the deception and disorganization has severed my trust with Tesla...

They are trying to tell me that everyone here who has had their car rebadged for free...doesn’t exists, and the “program” where you can pay to have it unlocked ended in December 2019...

Disappointment doesn’t begin to describe this storm of dishonesty...

Well, things change with time, as we see often with FUSC, prices, updates that limit the car, etc. About the only thing that does not change is FSD and other promised features will be coming "soon"...

With the range you are seeing, 100% of new EPA of a P90D with 21's, I would be happy with what you got. To learn more, get a CAN bus reader like SMT, and you will find out all you need to know about your cars HV and LV systems. Hard data is the best cure for FUD.

Reactions: Rocky_H
This!

Disappointment doesn’t begin to describe this storm of dishonesty...

I wouldn't judge this as dishonesty, but poor communication and unclear processes on their part.

In the end, you got a better battery than the previous one. Under warranty, Tesla must provide you an equivalent battery, and it looks like you got more than that.

This!

I wouldn't judge this as dishonesty, but poor communication and unclear processes on their part.

In the end, you got a better battery than the previous one. Under warranty, Tesla must provide you an equivalent battery, and it looks like you got more than that.

When I called to ask about the app reporting “P90D” I asked if a 90kwh battery was put into the car. After a hold, I was assured that no, it was not a 90. It was the same battery model that came out of the car.

this is the same service center that “forgot” to install one of the drain hoses in the sunroof that was replaced when I got the car...which led to some pretty serious water damage on my executive rear seats :/

and the only reason they figured that out, was when I brought it with the leak and horrible condensation issues (in the winter my car would have all windows fogged 90% of the time). I was told that “even the new ones we get have this issue” and there was nothing they could do. When I pointed out that the weather stripping was only on one side, then they had the solution...

there have been a lot of these moments where things just don’t add up, but when I specifically ask about what’s being put into my car, I don’t expect a blatant lie. The manager told the CS rep “he wasn’t supposed to know it was a different battery”. The CS team and the SC team both tell me completely different stories...someone’s gotta be right, and someone’s gotta be wrong.

I appreciate the battery being replaced...but why be so sneaky about it? If they had come out and said “yeah we got you a 90, but we can’t let you have it all, so we are software limiting it to an 85” I would be perfectly happy. Them telling me they don’t offer the 85 to 90 program where you pay for it anymore seemed like a desperate attempt to cover their tracks...considering I’ve never heard of that, and nobody here who has had the swap has ever mentioned. According to the tech, that program ended December 2019.

Miscommunication; lying; misinformation, whatever it is...it’s not a good experience... I’m worried about this battery, as I know there’s a lot of issues with V1 90s, and wonder if it will fail just after the warranty goes out in a couple years.

it just feels like a slap in the face to be treated like a clueless fool.

Reactions: lightningltd
The replacement program existed. My recollection is that it was asked (demanded ?) by owners “who just had bought a 85” and were frustrated.
Anyway, my experience with the SeC is that the front desk are often clueless to what happened technically and do there best.
I cannot imagine they would purposefully lie about a 90 and tell it’s a 85 when it is actually a good news and anyway you would see it on the invoice and the label if you are curious and look under your car.
But in your case even better as it shows on the app.

If I want to know what happened with the car, I talk with the technician who works on the car. Here, for each work (issue or planned work like winter tires), he (no she so far) comes and ask about the work and if anything else is needed and not mentioned on his paperwork. And when he is done, he come back with the key and tells what he did and has time for more questions.

Tesla's battery warranty specifically says you will receive a battery that has same or better capacity than the one being replaced. Why would anyone be upset that their battery is a 90 software limited to 85? You are still getting better than what was replaced.

Tesla gave me free fog lights when I got my car. They also gave me a free travel mug once, and a free wall charger ($500 value) when mine was acting up. Does that mean they have to provide all of those things to all Tesla owners?

Reactions: DProffitt
As Austin said, you have a better battery than what you had range wise. The early 90's had early degradation, but that levels out I believe. They might even be better than the 85's when it comes to Regen and SuC speeds.

Try to find out more about your car using SMT or Teslafi. Also consider a road trip to a SC far away from a major city center where you might get better service.

Tesla's battery warranty specifically says you will receive a battery that has same or better capacity than the one being replaced. Why would anyone be upset that their battery is a 90 software limited to 85? You are still getting better than what was replaced.

Tesla gave me free fog lights when I got my car. They also gave me a free travel mug once, and a free wall charger ($500 value) when mine was acting up. Does that mean they have to provide all of those things to all Tesla owners?
Tesla gave you something for free? I bet you were pissed! Those damn liars!

I don't get the point of this thread. And that's coming from the guy who is always first to speak up about how crappy Tesla customer service is. This doesn't seem like that at all to me. be happy with your free upgrade and move on with your life.

Reactions: AmpedRealtor
Some do seen to be exaggerating the negativity of the Tesla service. Some also seem to be defending it, mainly based on good experience from years ago.

I think the OP is somewhere in the middle. Misinformation or broken promises are not acceptable, even in a Covid world.

As I type, my car is at the SeC and despite specific request, and note on the MCU, the software is being updated.

Y’all are completely right, and I should definitely be more appreciative of the work Tesla has done. Splitting hairs complaining about the service centers is old hat, and I recognize it is childish to do so.

I think I speak for most of us when I say that I love my car, and do my best to stay on top of what’s happening to my (silly) investment. I’m sure some of y’all can understand the ocd that comes with the app saying one thing, and the car saying another lol.

Y’all are completely right, and I should definitely be more appreciative of the work Tesla has done. Splitting hairs complaining about the service centers is old hat, and I recognize it is childish to do so.

I think I speak for most of us when I say that I love my car, and do my best to stay on top of what’s happening to my (silly) investment. I’m sure some of y’all can understand the ocd that comes with the app saying one thing, and the car saying another lol.

It made sound harsh, but I as I was told once, "You are only as good as your last job"

Think about it....if you had this experience at a Lexus dealer, would you be giving them a pass? Expecting a company live up to past promises (improving service) is not childish. In fact, it is what most people new to the brand will expect and do.

If Tesla will not staff and train to improve service as promised, then how well do I expect them to fulfill other promised features that are truly challenging (FSD Million Mile battery, Roadster II, etc)

I am still loyal and supportive, but to the Tesla of several years ago, not to today's version. Maybe they will turn that around on MY, we will see.

In the meanwhile, will try to maintain my car as best as I can, even if I have to pay out of pocket to third parties, because that is the environmentally correct thing to do.

Reactions: AustinP

My situation was similar to Rabbits. My battery simply stopped working... Towed to the SC and they replaced it with a "Remanufactured" (still not sure what that means) battery. Mine is a 2015 S 85D with 38,000 Mi. Just glad I didn't have to pay for it LOL... It is same or similar as the older one down to the degradation (unless they set that behind the scenes)...

• Helpful
Reactions: Jkr85
My 2015 85D came up with won't start, low voltage warnings yesterday at 8am. We have 120,000 miles and had only lost about 10 miles in range with a full charge. We traded our 2012 MS for the 2015 and just took delivery of a Model Y for our vacation home. I finally just heard that the main HV battery pack had water intrusion. No idea how water got in. They are going to replace the pack. For those of you that had your pack replaced, what was the timing. I am very frustrated by the service writer's lack of information and details. Did anyone try offering to pay to be upgraded to a larger pack?

My 2015 85D came up with won't start, low voltage warnings yesterday at 8am. We have 120,000 miles and had only lost about 10 miles in range with a full charge. We traded our 2012 MS for the 2015 and just took delivery of a Model Y for our vacation home. I finally just heard that the main HV battery pack had water intrusion. No idea how water got in. They are going to replace the pack. For those of you that had your pack replaced, what was the timing. I am very frustrated by the service writer's lack of information and details. Did anyone try offering to pay to be upgraded to a larger pack?

Most likely the water got in through the Rapid Mate connector seals. There is a full Technical Note on this problem. Has your pack been removed before? If so, per the TN, they are supposed to photograph the sealing with a boroscope and document it per something called an ATTAC case...

I still don't get what all the fuss is about. At the end of the day you got a better pack than you started with.

Yes, there was confusion amongst the various people and systems. But that has been a hallmark of Tesla since the beginning. Everything there is done by the seat of Elon's pants. Employees are forever running around trying to catch up to His Majesty's latest decree. It also means that sometimes people have things given to them that others don't. Unfortunately, it's just the luck of the draw.

This will not end until Elon no longer has an active management role. He has never been able to plan past the end of the current week and that will never change. So if what happened to the OP is a problem for you, you have no choice but to take a break from Tesla.

Reactions: aerodyne
Another Update!!!

Tell Service, that "90 kWh" Battery's actual NEW capacity is only 85.4-ish kWh, and your "85 kWh" battery was only 81.1-ish kWh when New. So realistically, you were finally given what you originally ordered.