Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement air valve caps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought similar ones and they were way to big. Simple black plastic caps work just fine. Beyond aesthetics I don’t see any benefit these being to your tires. And think about one of these slamming into your windshield at highway speeds. As I see it, we get enough rocks on the road, don’t need anything added to the roads as potential debris.

Reactions: drklain
I have used aftermarket metal valve caps on my previous Infiniti for 12 years and currently have a metal valve cap on my S for almost 3 years now and never had an issue. I usually check tire pressure 3 times per year or as needed. Valve caps have always come off easy.

I put a set of these (or similar looking) aftermarked custom caps on my Roadster. After the first winter, they were corroded onto the valve stem. Got one off with lots of elbow grease, but when I tried to get the 2nd one off, it broke off the valve stem below where the valve actually screws in...

Lesson learned. Or maybe not. Perhaps similar caps with anti-seize! ;)

Same story, bought them because I wanted to customize down to the wheel... but sure enough, corrosion, and they fused to the stem.

Like @dmb7463 above, Discount Tire gave me a "pass" on the labor charge, then told me "don't do that again".... with such conviction, they didn't even bother asking if I wanted them back, they took the liberty of throwing them away before I even picked up the car ; )

This is an easy fix when combining two dissimilar metals. Use anti-seize. Problem solved! Thank me later.

For those who want to "go the extra mile"... Marine grade anti-seize, so worth it!

20190520_082024.jpg
20190521_120554.jpg
20190520_160223 (1).jpg

Many years ago, I had one fuse onto a valve as well. It happened over winter and salt is the reason.

Later, I found white lithium grease inside the cap works to prevent this (available walmart, a tiny can lasts years), I’ve used fancy caps of all kinds for a dozen years without a repeat. Note I switch between winter and summer tires and I remove the caps before storing the tires. I won’t leave the caps in year round even with the grease.

@IndyToronto Love your thought and agree. We all buy things that are not logical given our particular circumstances, because we want it, and that's fine. I bought a very expensive Tesla instead of a much cheaper Kia or Toyota, and I'm fine with the decision.

I was just trying to say (badly) that plastic valve covers don't need lithium grease because they can be popped free quite easily and will not fuse to the valve stem. Wasn't clear in my post!

Reactions: Evoyager