Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement all-season tire recommendation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model X 90D is approaching 40k miles and the original Continental Cross Contact tires are nearing the end of their life - wear bars are nearly even with the tread. No real complaints about these tires but wondering if anyone has found others that perform "better" - what a relative term that is! - on the X. Live in Raleigh, NC so need all-season tires.

I was recently looking for winter tires. I wanted nokian Hakka R2. I live in Toronto, Canada and we tend to get quite a bit of snow. They couldn't find the front 265 size tire, they had rear 275. 265 nokian were out everywhere.
I did a lot of research on tires. This is a problem with the X setup. Not many manufacturers make both 265 and 275 in our size. Our choices are limited and more expensive.

Kaltire recommend the nokian wrg3 allweather tire. Its basically a year-round tire that can be used in snow.

I think they are great in the snow and since they are allweather I may use them when the Continentals need replacing. I still want Hakka R2 for winter although I don't think it will be necessary. I have used these in warmer weather with no snow and I didn't notice anything more noise than the stock Conti tire. They are also low resistance.

I have the Perelli Scorpions All Weathers on my 22” wheels. I live in the PNW, drove over passes to Bend, OR without issues. Does well with heavy rain on the freeways. Can’t comment about road noise, but these tires come with sound dampening (had a flat a while ago) and replacement costs are relatively reasonable. Around 250 per tire.

• Informative
Reactions: vrykolas
You should go down a size for winter. It would make it easier to find tires too. Reason I didn't is because I bought 20" tsportlines in the dark grey colour for regular usage. The stock 20" have the winter tires on them. I couldn't justify buying two sets of rims to have the stock rims just sitting there doing nothing....... And the wife wouldn't let me either

Don't mean to hijack the thread and turn it into winter tire talk but I didn't like the reviews on the Pirelli Scorpion winter tires. Plus they are overpriced in canada. Over $500 each tire for the front. $450 each for the rears. Definitely not worth it. We have Michelin X ice on my wife's Lexus GS and they are a great tire. I was actually wanting to get those for the X. Unfortunately they don't make them in our 20" setup. I don't mess with winter tires. I have spun out before in an older car and its not cool thing to happen.

I don't mind paying more if it's a good tire.
Michelin's and Nokian have overall best ratings as far as winter tires go.

Don't mean to hijack the thread and turn it into winter tire talk but I didn't like the reviews on the Pirelli Scorpion winter tires. Plus they are overpriced in canada. Over $500 each tire for the front. $450 each for the rears. Definitely not worth it. We have Michelin X ice on my wife's Lexus GS and they are a great tire. I was actually wanting to get those for the X. Unfortunately they don't make them in our 20" setup. I don't mess with winter tires. I have spun out before in an older car and its not cool thing to happen.

I don't mind paying more if it's a good tire.
Michelin's and Nokian have overall best ratings as far as winter tires go.

Pirelli 'all season' is a joke. Drives me nuts when Ford puts scorpions on a 4x4 vehicle.

OP wanted recs for all seasons, not for dedicated winter or 4x4. Plenty of better tires for those applications as mentioned above. Scorpions are a decent compromise between performance and usability in the northwest. Again this is my experience for the 22” wheels.

Assuming you are focused on 20" wheels for this application (which like other have suggested I agree that you should be), you may find this earlier post of mine helpful:

Pirelli tires for 20s

I continue to be happy with my decision after 7000+ miles of travel that has included plenty of rain and even some snow and ice.

--Eric

Good thread, to clarify there is noise cancelling foam in the perellis, found out first hand after a large puncture.

I was recently looking for winter tires. I wanted nokian Hakka R2. I live in Toronto, Canada and we tend to get quite a bit of snow. They couldn't find the front 265 size tire, they had rear 275. 265 nokian were out everywhere.
I did a lot of research on tires. This is a problem with the X setup. Not many manufacturers make both 265 and 275 in our size. Our choices are limited and more expensive.

Kaltire recommend the nokian wrg3 allweather tire. Its basically a year-round tire that can be used in snow.

I think they are great in the snow and since they are allweather I may use them when the Continentals need replacing. I still want Hakka R2 for winter although I don't think it will be necessary. I have used these in warmer weather with no snow and I didn't notice anything more noise than the stock Conti tire. They are also low resistance.

I live in Montreal, got Nokian Hakka 9's from what I was told they are the best and having them through this winter they have not disappointed, they are probably some of the more expensive tires but don't cheap out on tires and safety.

Hakka 9 were not available when I got my tires. Looked at those too. They couldn't find 265 size anywhere
Makes sense because originally I was going to get Hakka 8 but there was no stock because they were releasing the Hakka 9's so I just waiting until they were available and drove my other car on the couple of snowy days until then which was mid December.

Thanks for all input on this topic. The Raleigh SC will only put the ContiSilent OEM's on. Any other tire has to be installed elsewhere. My 265/45R20 - 276/45R20 tires will be $350 each + $125 mounting and balancing + $150 for alignment. As #steveB26 said: don't cheap out on tires and safety.

Vancouver Service center cautioned me against WRG3. Side wall blown up reported . There was a recent post on TMC about WRG3 side wall blown up and a replacement was out of stock . Sometimes to do with load ratio and model x weight.

Really? I will have to look into that. They do have the right weight ratings. Its a great tire I find, even in big snowstorms we had there was no issue. Felt confident driving in deep snow and/or slush

Sad news folks. As stated running the X on LOW setting wears our your tires in about 19,000 miles. Had a Continental blow out while running on LOW. It was not a pretty site. Steel all over. Pressed the edge of the limit when TESLA flat bed towed me 48 miles. BTW. Continenntal did not honor warranty. Hate Continental, Love Pirelli All Season Verde. Have 20K miles on a pair and they are still at a 7 tire rating. Guaranteed 60,000 miles!

The WORST news is this! Drove an out of the box 2019 MODEL X yesterday with 167 miles on it. It had adaptive leveling. Max acceleration from 0 and guess what.? You guessed it. SHUDDERED like a wet dog shakin'. Even the salesman experienced it - for the first time.

Ordered a new Model X yesterday and hope the Engineers have worked out the SHUDDER on the Performance Ludicrous Mode. Come on engineers. Adaptive leveling is nice, but you've had three years to fix the damn shudder.

Let's see to take off from a light next to a Corvette, first you need to lower the suspension to LOW, then you need to ENGAGE the LUDICROUS mode, then you need to wait 30 min for the battery to warm up and by the time you look up you are racing a Prius!

My Model X 90D is approaching 40k miles and the original Continental Cross Contact tires are nearing the end of their life - wear bars are nearly even with the tread. No real complaints about these tires but wondering if anyone has found others that perform "better" - what a relative term that is! - on the X. Live in Raleigh, NC so need all-season tires.

• Informative
Reactions: J__T
Can you please share to getting close to 40k miles on the original Continental Cross Contact tires? I'd would take even 30k mileage as some MX owners are replacing it even around 20k usage. Please do share your tips. Thanks