Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement battery pac [replaced with remanufactured per warranty]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2018 Model 3 with 24, 328 miles. Purchaed as a mid range 265 mile car. Software version 2021.32.10. Over they past 2.5 years, my average charge was to 80%. The car when cycled (15% to 100%) would charge to no more than 225 miles. About a 17% degradation for a 2.5 year old car. Two weeks ago the battery failed (high voltage issue) and was replaced. Thought it would be a new pack but it was a reconditioned one. The replacement is slightly better: 230 mile range. Is this normal procedure? I am no better off with the replacement than the orginal. 17% loss of range, about 35 miles.

I would have thought that the replacement would be closer to the original battery range. Very disappointing repair. I did not buy the car for such limited mileage. Range will only get worse over time. Anyone else experiencing this issue with a replacement battery?

I have a 2018 Model 3 with 24, 328 miles. Purchaed as a mid range 265 mile car. Software version 2021.32.10. Over they past 2.5 years, my average charge was to 80%. The car when cycled (15% to 100%) would charge to no more than 225 miles. About a 17% degradation for a 2.5 year old car. Two weeks ago the battery failed (high voltage issue) and was replaced. Thought it would be a new pack but it was a reconditioned one. The replacement is slightly better: 230 mile range. Is this normal procedure? I am no better off with the replacement than the orginal. 17% loss of range, about 35 miles.

I would have thought that the replacement would be closer to the original battery range. Very disappointing repair. I did not buy the car for such limited mileage. Range will only get worse over time. Anyone else experiencing this issue with a replacement battery?

Have you read teslas battery warranty? Since your question was "I thought I would get a new pack but i got a reconditioned one", that is spelled out in the warranty.

You can find it here:

The specific passage reads as such (on page 6 of this document)

=================================
tesla battery warranty.JPG

===================

So, they did exactly what their warranty says they will do.

Thank you jjrandorin. I did not look up the warranty on the battery. What is your views on the 17% degradation after 24,000 miles, 2.5 year old car. The average degreadation for the first year is 4% and 1% each year there after. I am sitting at three times that rate. I am not a speed racer driver. Way past those days.

Thank you jjrandorin. I did not look up the warranty on the battery. What is your views on the 17% degradation after 24,000 miles, 2.5 year old car. The average degreadation for the first year is 4% and 1% each year there after. I am sitting at three times that rate. I am not a speed racer driver. Way past those days.

I have no specific views on battery degradation, and that part of your discussion can be had in the thread for that, which is here:

Any battery degradation etc in the model 3 subform goes in that thread. There is plenty of discussion there about degradation etc there.

its horrible and nasty and regulators need to step in.
Yes you have a warranty, but only for 70% of original capacity. as long as they replace your pack with one which has at least 70% capacity it is completely fine.

I dont know how it can be legal to advertise a car with i.e. 310 miles EPA range when some people after 2 years only have 260 miles.

But anyway, they replaced your pack with one which has essentially the same capacity as the previous pack. Unless you get lucky and they only have new packs available you are just as screwed as before. Your only hope is that your new pack also fails withhin the warranty period.

its horrible and nasty and regulators need to step in.
Yes you have a warranty, but only for 70% of original capacity. as long as they replace your pack with one which has at least 70% capacity it is completely fine.

I dont know how it can be legal to advertise a car with i.e. 310 miles EPA range when some people after 2 years only have 260 miles.

But anyway, they replaced your pack with one which has essentially the same capacity as the previous pack. Unless you get lucky and they only have new packs available you are just as screwed as before. Your only hope is that your new pack also fails withhin the warranty period.
My opnion of the car and the company has taken a 180 turn. I will not recommend anyone to purchase a car from them. I would expect better service on a $55,000 vehicle.

My opnion of the car and the company has taken a 180 turn. I will not recommend anyone to purchase a car from them. I would expect better service on a $55,000 vehicle.

they need to rediscuss their warranty and be more honest about degradation and average range.... To be honest, it was not even what we knew and what we expected. The Model S has such minimal degradation noone here really cared if they have 4% degradation after 50-100km km and then another 6% over the next 150-200k km. But essentially on the 3 you get 5% in the first year, then 5% in the second year and it seems a lot of people get 5% in the 3rd year....
A lot of the time software also seems to steal range. And it never comes back.

When you lose 5% thats one thing, but when your car loses almost 15% thats a completely different matter. And Tesla has never been honest about healthy batteries. A battery which has lost 15% after 30k kms and 2 years is definetely not healthy. And to call it in top shape and then when it fails 1% later to call it "needs replacement" is just wrong.

It is also a slap in the face to people who pamper their battery i.e. only charge to 70% every day and only do shallow cycles in the mid-range, including letting the car rest at i.e. 55% in summer. Yet you get people who do deep discharges from 90% or 100% all the time and only have 3-4% degradation at 100k km. Its basically all lottery.

But I think thats normal. Without regulation companies do whatever they please. Looks like the etron etc has the same issues.

I speculate that range calculations (based on historical BMS data) are handled by the main CPU. If the results of those calculations are not reset when the battery is replaced, it would explain why you are seeing similar range prediction with your old and "new" battery. If this is the case, your range may change as BMS data from the new battery comes in.

Here's a thread from someone in the same situation:

I speculate that range calculations (based on historical BMS data) are handled by the main CPU. If the results of those calculations are not reset when the battery is replaced, it would explain why you are seeing similar range prediction with your old and "new" battery. If this is the case, your range may change as BMS data from the new battery comes in.

Here's a thread from someone in the same situation:

actually thats a good point, however, OT should rapidly see a range increase as the voltage doesnt line up with the bms table.

Reactions: alstoralset
Status
Not open for further replies.