Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement cabin air filter cover screw?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was changing the cabin air filters, as one does, and I got the little torx screw out fine, and the filters changed, but when I tried to put the torx screw back in, it fell somewhere into the deep interior of the car, never to be seen again. Currently I have the cover taped back on, but don't think that's a good long term solution. Does anyone know what size that screw is, so I can get a replacement at Home Depot or wherever?

I actually was trying to screw the screw back in without the original cover so I could install that magnetic cover when it dropped!

Anyway, this is all resolved - I went in there again this morning, armed with an endoscope and a magnetic fishing tool, and found and retrieved the screw. Screwed it in, the magnetic cover works like a charm.

Check this bugger out... Tesla Model 3/Y Cabin Air Filter Access Panel Screw Alternative Replacement | eBay

s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: MacMcIntire
Hey gang, a related question: At how many miles is it prudent to change that filter??? I ask because many times what the manufacturer asks is either too early, or too late. Just curious about the input here. Oh, and will look for videos on how to change the filter, since I have no idea how. I assume it's behind the glove box, like in the great majority of vehicles. Thank you.

Hey gang, a related question: At how many miles is it prudent to change that filter??? I ask because many times what the manufacturer asks is either too early, or too late. Just curious about the input here. Oh, and will look for videos on how to change the filter, since I have no idea how. I assume it's behind the glove box, like in the great majority of vehicles. Thank you.
I replace mine every year (about 20k miles). Do It Yourself - Model 3