Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement car keys for S

Jolly roger

Nov 11, 2019
Saracens head
Hi folks, I have the chance to buy a Tesla S which is damaged, unfortunately it does not come with a key.
Does any one know how to get replacement keys? The drivers door will need replacing any way, does this help.
Sent this to TEG by mistake,sincere apologies.

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
Visalia, CA
Hi folks, I have the chance to buy a Tesla S which is damaged, unfortunately it does not come with a key.
Does any one know how to get replacement keys? The drivers door will need replacing any way, does this help.
Sent this to TEG by mistake,sincere apologies.
Dear Jolly:

None of Tesla cars has any traditional physical key.

For Model S and Model X, a fob must be programmed by Tesla Service Center.

Model 3 fobs, cards, cell phones... can be programmed by yourself without any needs for Tesla Service Center (There's a menu in Model 3 for you to program but there's no such screen menu for mode S and X.)

Good luck,

Tâm

boaterva

Supporting Member
Apr 2, 2016
Northern Virginia, USA
First thing you want to do is read the manual (paper or in the car or google for a PDF) for some background on any of the cars.

A Model 3 will let you program cars and fobs but you need one card programmed first by the Service Center.

An S or X needs fobs done by the SC.

Huachipato

Jul 16, 2019
Murphy, TX
My car only had one key when I purchased it. I requested a new one through the mobile app, and they sent a Mobile tech to bring a new key and program it to my car. I didn't have to take it to the SC.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC