Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement Drivers Seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks – just wanted to share a quick report on a fix to an issue I've been facing with my MX driver seat since delivery (finally)!

When I took delivery of the vehicle back in March 2016, I noticed a slight "wiggle" in the driver seat. It felt as if the seat would rock back-and-forth when in adjusted to the farthest setting away from the steering wheel. The DS and others said this wasn't an issue and after adjusting the seat to my preference, I took off (mostly because I was just so excited to get my MX after waiting ~2.5 years since reserving in October 2013).

Fast forward two weeks – I brought the vehicle in to the Costa Mesa SC for other repairs (significant wind noise from the passenger front window, and a very squeaky center console) and mentioned to the technician the issue with the seat. He noticed the issue and said they'd take a look at it. When I got the vehicle back, they said they adjusted the seat and to me it felt fine... at that time.

Jump to three weeks after that – I noticed the rocking of the seat more significantly, especially while accelerating in the vehicle. It seemed that if they torqued the seat down when I brought it in, then it must have loosened over time. I brought the MX back into the SC (this was the 5th time since bringing the vehicle back into the SC since taking delivery) and told them about the issue with the seat. This time, they asked me to bring the vehicle back in (yet another time) and wanted to keep the vehicle for a week to address the issue (along with other small issues they were going to fix with the trunk deck lid and passenger front window seal). I was set to be out of the country for business travel in late May, so the timing worked for me to be without my MX.

When I returned from overseas, I called the SC and talked to the rep (assuming I'd be able to pick up my MX with the corrected seat). However, I was told that they were unable to repair the seat and would need to order a completely new driver seat assembly. While I was told it would be at the SC in a few days, it took ~2 additional weeks to receive the replacement seat at the SC. I brought the vehicle in on Monday, and they completely the replacement that day, and I finally picked up my MX with the new seat assembly this morning.

So far, the new assembly feels secure. I'm happy that TM replaced the complete assembly, but also a bit nervous about the seat becoming an issue somewhere down the line (since they couldn't describe why it was rocking or what the root cause was for the defect).

Have any of you had similar issues with your driver seat? Thanks!

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc

So far, the new assembly feels secure. I'm happy that TM replaced the complete assembly, but also a bit nervous about the seat becoming an issue somewhere down the line (since they couldn't describe why it was rocking or what the root cause was for the defect).

Have any of you had similar issues with your driver seat? Thanks!
I'm sure they know why it was rocking and the root cause, but rather not explain the issue to you in detail. It may have gone something like this, "...some guy on the line screwed up and installed the seat incorrectly and/or there was a flaw with the seat...". At the very least, an engineer in Fremont would be able to figure it out. I follow the forums fairly closely, and I don't recall anyone else report such a problem, so it sounds like it may have been a very isolated case.

There have been lots of initial problems with the vehicle, and as far as Tesla is concerned, as long as they fix it in a timely manner, all is good. They learn from each of these issues and roll those fixes back into the production line, so that future vehicles will be better. They have some really smart people there and they take every failure seriously. They just won't go into great detail of those failures since they consider them a trivial blip in the process if they take action to prevent it from happening again.

If it happened to me, I wouldn't be concerned once the seat has been replaced. I'd be more concerned with the other issues currently being worked on (e.g. seals, fwd doors and 2nd row seats)

Now you have me thinking. I do notice a slight rock when I come to a fast stop, but not when I accelerate. It seems to come from the seat back rather than the seat itself, so I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. Maybe I'll have my SC take a look at it.

I can tell you that this has been an issue with Model S seats. In both my Model S, the seats feel like a rocking chair, but regardless of how many times the SC replaces or tightens the seat, the problem comes back.

So far in my X it has been solid, no rocking. But after reading your post, I'm certainly worried the same issue may arise on this car.

I've never had an issue with any of my other cars, so I can't understand why Tesla can't has fixed this issue after all these years or found a supplier that can make a seat that doesn't rock.

• Disagree
Reactions: KKelly
Now you have me thinking. I do notice a slight rock when I come to a fast stop, but not when I accelerate. It seems to come from the seat back rather than the seat itself, so I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing.
Yes this definitely sounds like the same type of issue that I'd been having. The seat back is where the rocking feeling started, and it just got worse over time. I definitely felt it when decelerating, too.
I can tell you that this has been an issue with Model S seats. In both my Model S, the seats feel like a rocking chair, but regardless of how many times the SC replaces or tightens the seat, the problem comes back.
Has this been widely recognized by MS owners at-large?
My 2001 Acura MDX had a rocking drivers seat. It was a well known issue with the car and they just said it was no big deal.
Yikes.