Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement Fob for Model S - how much did you pay for the fob and how much to program?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There seems to be a lot of variation in experiences getting replacement fobs, even when getting them from Tesla. How much did you pay for the fob and how much for the programming? If you bought the fob from a third party, how did you know if it was programmable, or if it was already tied to a different vehicle?

I bought a 2013 S used and the owner only had one fob. I am hoping to save some money and learn a thing or two by buying the second fob online. Even though my original fob is part 1007492-00-F, Tesla's parts catalog lists two different fob part numbers for my car: 1455940-00-A (which says it sells over the counter and ("No VIN")) and 1455940-00-B, which it does not sell outside of Tesla. Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!

$135 including the hour to program, or $135 plus the hour of labor (another $175ish) to program?
$135 total. Sorry to not be clear. I have noticed that for whatever reason, the price does seem to vary at some service centers.
EDIT: and I doubt it took them an hour of labor. I was IN THE SHOP for an hour and it seemed it took about 30 minutes for them to get to my car.

Last edited:
Reactions: iamthewaughrus
The 3's, Y's, new S's and new X's can be programmed by the owner in the locks menu of the car as long as you have at least one valid key on you. To do this, you just need to buy extra Key Cards or Fobs on Tesla's website and then follow the in-car instructions to program it to your car. NOTE: You can't program your own keys if you lost all of your existing ones, that would still require a visit from service.

If you have the Older S and X, I think you would need a service visit to do those.

$175
Tesla won't program a used fob that you bought else where...like eBay
Many people have had success having Tesla program a fob they bought from a 3rd party, which is one of the reasons I posted about this. It is hard to tell if it is a policy, if it depends on who you get for service, or if it depends on if the fob is used and still linked to a previous vehicle.

$175
Tesla won't program a used fob that you bought else where...like eBay
I was just at my local SC and asked them if they could pair a FOB to my 2015 MS. He asked where I got the FOB and I told him I got it off of eBay for $35. He said its a 50/50 chance that it will work. It would be $22 to program it regardless if it works or not.

I have a 2015 MS and am in need of two new keys. Are my only options either:

Buy two used ones off of eBay and have a mobile tech come out? Or,

Take it up to Tesla and pay ~$175 per key?

Am I correct in assuming that my year model doesn't support self programming?

Thanks!

I have a 2015 MS and am in need of two new keys. Are my only options either:

Buy two used ones off of eBay and have a mobile tech come out? Or,

Take it up to Tesla and pay ~$175 per key?

Am I correct in assuming that my year model doesn't support self programming?

Thanks!
buy it on offerup or facebook market place so you can make sure it's the correct one. Then mobile service will program for $19 each. The guy took less than 5 minutes to program.